V8 Supercar & Phillip Island preview

iRacing
Exar Kun
Sensible Mick

V8 Supercar & Phillip Island preview

Post by Exar Kun »

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Just posting this to maybe get some more interest from people who haven't played for a while. The car is looking pretty good - should be out next week.
"If we can hit that bull's-eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!"
nutty
Spam King
Spam King

Re: V8 Supercar & Phillip Island preview

Post by nutty »

Looking forward to it, so its D Class licence? soo people who are new/didnt bother to get premoted it shouldnt take you too long to get there
Exar Kun
Sensible Mick

Post by Exar Kun »

C class but that means people with D 4.0+ can race it. I'd imagine that just after it comes out there will be a 13th week special series which will just be V8 at Phillip Island every hour or so open to everyone.
"If we can hit that bull's-eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!"
nutty
Spam King
Spam King

Post by nutty »

ah fair enough, well ill get promoted next week to D, so ill just have to push to get to D :)
Gizmo
forum fairy - in a gay way!
forum fairy - in a gay way!

Post by Gizmo »

Promotions happen after week 13 i'm pretty sure..... Even if you don't have the licence for the car it won't stop you being able to drive it on a test day or hosted session, i'm sure there will be heaps of hosted ones too.
Brett_S

Post by Brett_S »

Dunno what my class was when I stopped iRacing but I might get back into it if this is good. How much do we reckon the car will be?
I wonder if I'm still on the books :tilt:
This is the way the world works, if you want want to find some quality friends you have to wade through all the d**ks first - Eric Cartman
Dr. Pain

Post by Dr. Pain »

I was looking forward to PI but was a bit meh about the car but pre ordered both. If modeled right you should pull out of pit lane and straight into a safety car. Occasionally some racing might break out :rofl:
Minister for Religious Genocide.
pab

Post by pab »

Brett_S wrote:Dunno what my class was when I stopped iRacing but I might get back into it if this is good. How much do we reckon the car will be?
I wonder if I'm still on the books :tilt:
US$10 , and yes. Oh, also, if you buy the car and track together before this Monday (about US$25 total) you'll get an extra $6 in credit returned to your account.
PB
Radioactive Race Engineering #16 / Lightning Karts KT100s #61
DarrenM

Post by DarrenM »

Brett_S wrote:Dunno what my class was when I stopped iRacing but I might get back into it if this is good.
You're D with 4.2 SR. V8 is C class so you'll be able to jump straight into it :)
funkdancer

Post by funkdancer »

Ok, so I'm a bit of a returnee to iRacing now. I got the PI/V8 content, and joined a couple of those week 13 training sessions --- most of which were at capacity. was a complete and total blast to be driving around the Island with 40 other drivers on track. Yes that's right, full servers. I have never seen this in iRacing before. Maybe it was just a fluke, but boy was it nice. It kept going like that too, all of Saturday. Nuts.

I've ridden the circuit 3 times on my old motorbikes before. The track itself feels insanely well modeled, and the experience is just awesome. Thanks to Mitch for a great setup that I could actually drive, the V8 itself is a joy to play with.

The only bad thing about it is that it might make me upgrade my 20+24+20" softth setup to a full 3x 24" (all new screens; e.g. U2410) and an Eyefinity card, as the 4870x2 & 3.8ghz Q6600 driving it currently doesn't have the oomph to do it with everything @ max at a decent framerate. Also the screens aren't the same size, and it'd be so nice to have everything running on the same GPU with bezel management etc done properly in hardware. The problem with that is, with a baby on the way I really can't afford it. :P Maybe if I live on beans for a couple of months hehe.

Anyway, this update of iRacing is mighty impressive. It's been a while since last time I did any sessions, but in the past few weeks after getting a triple monitor stand* I decided I wanted to give it a shot ... and found that with e.g. the Lotus @ Motown this is just way too good now, even when I was just time trialling to get my classes up. For some reason I'm good for promo to A next week, having gone from C to B already on the strength of my SR. Whilst boring out of my mind, I also did my min requirements for the oval, and will be promoted to B there.

I expect to be on a lot more in the time to come. I can't wait to see what the actual racing series will be, and if the numbers will remain strong. That'd be awesome.

Cheers,
Funky

*) " onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Exar Kun
Sensible Mick

Post by Exar Kun »

Comparison shots with the real track done by an iRacing member.

http://www.samiad.co.uk/phillip_island/ ... sland.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

So they've established that a laser scanned track is very similar to the original? :D
I could have told you that up front; it's accurate down to the millimeter.
Surprise, no sig. Now there is. Or is there?
nutty
Spam King
Spam King

Post by nutty »

Still very impressive