GT Extreme/Pro Cockpit owners question

iRacing
MADCAP

Re: GT Extreme/Pro Cockpit owners question

Post by MADCAP »

http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?mai ... s_id=16025
is this monitor good for a 3 x screen setup for iRacing and other games?
+ Current Ride 2016 Ducati 959 Panigale + 2016 TONY KART 401 X30 IAME + Santa Cruz Bronson V3 CC X01 +
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

What exactly is your concern? How can any monitor be "not good" for triple monitor gaming ?
I reckon it's down to personal choice and budget as to what do you use...
Surprise, no sig. Now there is. Or is there?
DarrenM

Post by DarrenM »

lag, bezel width?
MADCAP

Post by MADCAP »

ysu wrote:What exactly is your concern? How can any monitor be "not good" for triple monitor gaming ?
I reckon it's down to personal choice and budget as to what do you use...
just seeing if this is a good brand and the bezel not too thick - budget for each screen id say $350 max otherwise it gets too expensive - i guess it has to be better than a TV monitor :D
+ Current Ride 2016 Ducati 959 Panigale + 2016 TONY KART 401 X30 IAME + Santa Cruz Bronson V3 CC X01 +
TIMMY30

Post by TIMMY30 »

Yep. i went about 4 days playing on a 32" tv with hdmi. It was utter crap even with game mode on. i went and bought a 27" led monitor instead
MADCAP

Post by MADCAP »

TIMMY30 wrote:Yep. i went about 4 days playing on a 32" tv with hdmi. It was utter crap even with game mode on. i went and bought a 27" led monitor instead
what brand did you buy Timmy? now all you need is another 2 LOL
TIMMY30

Post by TIMMY30 »

LG. Its not full HD though... If only the gtxtreme was capable of eyefinity :(
Sarsippius

Post by Sarsippius »

My current monitor is a Dell U3011 30" and before that I had a Benq 24", both 16:10. Dell seem to be pretty well regarded, my earlier Benq was regarded as one of the best 24" at the time. I would suggest reading some reviews for the model your looking at, when buying my last two monitors hardforum.com was a really good resource. Most good monitors had threads with lots of first hand impressions and opinion.

Onto the main topic of cockpits, I succumbed and bought myself an Obutto from simparts.co.nz :nod:
It's almost all set up now, just waiting on a new tv to arrive so I can mount the aforementioned 30" to it and give it it's first run :D
I went for the Obutto because it's more configurable than the gtextreme and I read some of the comments here and on iracing about the build quality of the gtextreme not being so flash. It's $50 cheaper than the gtextreme whilst including the monitor stand and keyboard/mouse stand, so factoring in those it's actually $200 cheaper as a package. It also has a 3 monitor mount you can buy separately which I might do further down the track.
As mentioned I haven't been able to test it out yet but everything's nice and solid, including the keyboard/mouse stand. I'll post up some pics soon once the monitor is mounted, hopefully by the weekend!
TIMMY30

Post by TIMMY30 »

Hey Sarsi,

How's the Obutto? . Any pics?. Having a cockpit really makes a difference compared to racing on a computer desk eh? :D
Sarsippius

Post by Sarsippius »

Yeah sorry I've been very slack in posting up some pics, the other thing is I've barely done any racing lately, something I worried about a bit before taking the plunge but I know at some point soon I'll get back into the swing of things.

Anyway despite not racing much with it I'm still very happy with the Obutto overall. I got the optional tabletop with it and use it in lieu of a desk and it does the job pretty well. 99% of it's use so far has been surfing the web, doing my personal accounts, that sort of thing and it definitely negates the need for a desk for that sort of light usage.

As I mentioned before it's actually quite adjustable, you can see in the pics it has some knobs you can loosen, the wheel/tabletop mount is on an angle and you slide it up and towards you to race or down and away for normal tasks.
The keyboard stand is also very good and quite sturdy, it's all industrial type steel, just think of sliding one tube of steel into another and it's then held in place by it's own weight and friction. It swings in and out smoothly and if you want to adjust the height you just take the weight in your hands and pull it up or let it slide down a bit. It does the same forward and back as well. Judging by the comments on the gtextreme keyboards stand this one outclasses it completely.

One of the few criticisms I have is there's not a lot of room in the pedal area, I can't just swing my left foot out to the left to rest it any more as one of the bars is right there. With more time I'll work it out, get everything in the perfect position.

Anyway despite the lack of use so far I would definitely recommend the Obutto for anyone looking for a relatively inexpensive cockpit. It's very solid and its adjust ability mean it will suit anyone short or tall, it doesn't take up a lot of room and with the optional tabletop you may even be able to do away with your desk like I have.

KNAPPO
Master artist
Master artist

Post by KNAPPO »

My god, its a original pair of Sim Socks! Its been years since Ive seen a pair of those.

Nice Obutto rig Sars.
Life is hard...but, life is harder when you're dumb.
khromosone

Post by khromosone »

Huge bump as I am unable to send PM's at this stage.

How much was shipping for the Obutto to Darwin?
KNAPPO
Master artist
Master artist

Post by KNAPPO »

I bought an Obutto r3volution from simparts.co.nz with triple mounts & the additional Acrylic Tabletops, extra $150. I see this same package comes to $1,299.00 now.
All up it cost me $1,249.00 to Adelaide in March 2013. Pretty sure Simparts price is inclusive of shipping, where are you buying from?

The rig was split in 4 boxes from New Zealand. All 4 arrived together in Sydney and the light stuff continued by air the next day. The rig itself went by road from NSW to SA and took another 3 days. Would have been 4 if I didn't pick it up myself from DHL.
Bauer

Post by Bauer »

Knappo you fucker. I just spent $1200 ish because of you :up:
--------------
Stu
khromosone

Post by khromosone »

It's really tempting to throw some money down on the R3volution.

Might need to pay Sarsippius a visit to see if its actually viable as a desk as I still play many other games.
KNAPPO
Master artist
Master artist

Post by KNAPPO »

Bauer wrote:Knappo you fucker. I just spent $1200 ish because of you :up:
:rofl: Bauer what did you do :D

I play the occasional FPS in my r3v, got hooked on BF4 for 2 months after owning it for only 1...
Playing Farcry 4 in it at the moment. If I had a Fanatec wheel (planning on it with some 2015 cahs) ill be set as ill be able to remove the wheel itself.

Currently, if i turn my G25 180 degrees it dosnt overlap the screens, turn the lights out and i forget its there ;)
Sarsippius

Post by Sarsippius »

Looks like it cost me an extra $50 to get delivery to Darwin. Just send them an email, Brendon is a good guy.

A few additions since those photos, CSW V1, CSP V2, 8 Dayton Audio Puck transducers and a DK2 :D

Go on Bauer, spend some more money hehe :up:
Bauer

Post by Bauer »

oh I spent it :up:

and Im sitting in it right now :D

3 days from NZ to Tas is pretty good going. And yes it cost me $50 for freight
--------------
Stu
khromosone

Post by khromosone »