GT Extreme/Pro Cockpit owners question

iRacing
lincolnbl

GT Extreme/Pro Cockpit owners question

Post by lincolnbl »

Have any of you guys with GT Extreme/Pro cockpits bought the keyboard swivel mount? Was it reasonably usable as a temporary desk to surf the web? Not talking heavy use just to check emails etc.

I am fairly restricted with room so the only way to 'sell' this to the wife would be to get a smaller desk for the study. We have a biggish one at the moment that we can both occupy but I only ever play iracing anyway - aside from web/email use.

Any thoughts? Thanks in advance. :D
Richo_Red5

Re: GT Extreme/Pro Cockpit owners question

Post by Richo_Red5 »

Hi lincolnbl, I bought the keyboard swivel mount with the GTxtreme and I'm not overly happy with it, but it is better than nothing.
I'm pretty limited for space as well so a desk wasn't an option for me either.

Because of the swivel design, the stand naturally has a single arm holding the plate where your keyboard and mouse sit.
Although you can tighten the bottom of the arm to the main frame, there's no locking mechanism where the top plate sits on the arm.
This makes the top plate too lose and it tilts very easily, even when you lightly lean on it to use a mouse.

I use a long piece of wood to provide support at the end of the plate to stop it from tilting when I'm using the mouse.
The keyboard goes on my lap when I need to type an email etc.. And stays on the stand plate when I'm iRacing.

I hope this helps... :)
Jiminee

Post by Jiminee »

I have an Obutto and wireless keyboard. Just put the keyboard in my lap and go from there. Its fine for web use, emails and even painting skins.
XLV SPORT
lincolnbl

Post by lincolnbl »

Thanks for the responses guys. Might hold off getting the keyboard swivel and see how I go.
TIMMY30

Post by TIMMY30 »

Well....

I went and paid a visit to Hess at Pagnian today and ended up leaving having put a deposit on:
Gt xtreme cockpit with floor mat,monitor mount and keyboard mount
Fanatec CSR elite wheel
Fanatec elite pedals
and Fanatec csr shifter set.

Pick it up in 3 weeks. So so so excited!!! :D
AstrO
Help Desk Expert

Post by AstrO »

The rest of mine arrived last night after they found it at the depot. Haven't had time to drill the pedal mounting holes yet, but it's all together and working.

Have to say that I love it! :D
Will post an update when I get a chance.
"We will not be releasing a sanitised or cut down version [of Alien vs. Predator] for territories where adults are not considered by their governments to be able to make their own entertainment choices." Rebellion CEO Jason Kingsley
AstrO
Help Desk Expert

Post by AstrO »

Just a quick write up, below is my current setup in front of my 55" LG TV (running through my AV receiver with the TV in Game mode).

I had to drill out 2 holes to mount the pedals, after I found a good position for them (a closer position would have required 4 holes, but I'm hanging it off the back of the mounting plate).

Can't mount the gear stick to the provided cockpit mount (not shown), so it's just running off the default Fanatec bars at the moment. Just for note, the Fanatec shifter has it's socket for the cable situated on the bottom of the base of the shifter. Which means you can't easily mount it to a flat surface (unless I'm missing something???).

TIMMY30

Post by TIMMY30 »

Thanks for the pics man :).

Do you get a template for drilling the holes in the box with the pedals or do you have to work it out manually. I went for the elite wheel which doesnt have poles for the shifter :/. Surely i can mount them somehow to the rig??

How does the wheel compare to a logitech wheel?
AstrO
Help Desk Expert

Post by AstrO »

A drill template is provided, so it's a 5 min job to drill the holes. :)

Just for reference, I upgraded from a Logitech Driving Force GT. The new wheel is extremely quiet, but lacks the strength of the Logitech... but I still need to play around with the settings, so this could change.

The shifter and pedals are great, big improvement over the modded G25 set I was using. Can't be compared to the standard pedals of my old wheel as they're in another league.

The Xbox 360 support is perfect and Forza 4 with a 6 speed shifter is awesome!
"We will not be releasing a sanitised or cut down version [of Alien vs. Predator] for territories where adults are not considered by their governments to be able to make their own entertainment choices." Rebellion CEO Jason Kingsley
TIMMY30

Post by TIMMY30 »

Astro. regarding the shifter mounting problem. " onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; .

That video is made by Hess himself. Its obviously the older style shifter but so long as the plug on the bottom of the assembly is still located toward the front at the bottom that seems like the best way. Only problem i can see with it would be it not being easy to change between sequential and H pattern. If all else fails i might just have to find another aftermarket shifter that has a clamping mechanism instead.
Sarsippius

Post by Sarsippius »

Looks nice, I'd dearly love the package with the elite wheel but just can't justify the price, also a bit cramped for space in my place. :(
TIMMY30

Post by TIMMY30 »

Sarsippius wrote:Looks nice, I'd dearly love the package with the elite wheel but just can't justify the price, also a bit cramped for space in my place. :(
Same here. The missus wanted to put another bed in a spare room we have just been using from random crap. Its been 8 months and still no bed. So i just TOLD her it was now the racing room :lol: . I may well end up living alone soon :rofl:
AstrO
Help Desk Expert

Post by AstrO »

I'm living with it in the lounge room at the moment ;)
DarrenM

Post by DarrenM »

NeilPearson
Prize Winning ARSE

Post by NeilPearson »

lolz
TIMMY30

Post by TIMMY30 »

Picked up my cockpit, csr elite, clubsport pedals, shifter set today!.

Spent the whole day/night building my PC and the cockpit and that and im so bloody tired now that i cant be bothered racing at all :lol: .

Tomorow ill definately be having some fun :nod:.
MADCAP

Post by MADCAP »

fukin funny
+ Current Ride 2016 Ducati 959 Panigale + 2016 TONY KART 401 X30 IAME + Santa Cruz Bronson V3 CC X01 +
MADCAP

Post by MADCAP »

TIMMY30 wrote:Picked up my cockpit, csr elite, clubsport pedals, shifter set today!.

Spent the whole day/night building my PC and the cockpit and that and im so bloody tired now that i cant be bothered racing at all :lol: .

Tomorow ill definately be having some fun :nod:.

photos if you get a chanve plus let us know on how it all goes dude
+ Current Ride 2016 Ducati 959 Panigale + 2016 TONY KART 401 X30 IAME + Santa Cruz Bronson V3 CC X01 +
TIMMY30

Post by TIMMY30 »

Here you go. Still require some serious cable management :D .

Apologies for the shithouse photography skills.

It was an absolute nightmare to put together in my experience. The instructions were very simple. Too simple IMHO but maybe im just retarded.
At 6'4" im a little bit troubled for space but i think i just need to mount the pedals a bit higher on the pedal plate.

Any questions feel free to ask away.

MADCAP

Post by MADCAP »

that looks great for a package - let me know what the wheel ans pedals are like, not sure if you had a G25/G27 to compare
TIMMY30

Post by TIMMY30 »

MADCAP wrote:that looks great for a package - let me know what the wheel ans pedals are like, not sure if you had a G25/G27 to compare
I owned a g25 a few years back before my long break from sim racing but i know for a fact this wheel is far more precise and not to mention so comfortable to handle. The alacantra grip is awesome. The tuning capabilities with this wheel are just about endless. I think i have just about got it set the way i like it now. The paddles on this wheel are like no other wheel ive ever used. They are just great they have a longish throw on them so its near impossible to make double shifts/misshift.

The pedals are fantastic. What makes them stand out above all the rest is of course the load cell brake. Braking is 100 times better with these pedals due to the load cell. Far more realistic and lockups are easily avoidable.

The only part of the setup im slightly disspointed in is the shifters are very noisy with a rather loud click that is audible rooms away.

All in all though. This stuff is the real deal and seems to be extremely well built to last a good while (they bloody better for the $$ :) )

Tim
MADCAP

Post by MADCAP »

Question lads,

look in the next couple of months ill build a new gaming system, what i am trying to find is what is the ultimate monitors to select for triple screen?

Would 3 x 27" screens be a over kill, or should i run a 3 x 24" screen setup - there is so many options out there and no one really has a thread that shows a good way to build a system showing the best screens etc etc...

I currently run iRacing on a Sony Bravia 46" TV HD, and a Bob Earl Racing Cockpit with a G27" - the game itself runs off a 24" iMac via bootcamp with Windows 7 installed, to get the image to the TV is via a Mini Display adapter to HDMI - so far its good but FPS is a killa holding constant most times around 40FPS but i have switched of details in grand stand / shadows / objects etc so that the computer doesn't drown.

I guess the point of the question is, to build a system just for gaming a lot of planning and research is required from experts and if anyone on here has links and examples post that shit here =)

Cheers
Lads
Mr.Ferret

Post by Mr.Ferret »

Im on my second keyboard stand and i still cant get it to go on the damn pole :S
iRacing Name - Joshua Brown2
TIMMY30

Post by TIMMY30 »

Mr.Ferret wrote:Im on my second keyboard stand and i still cant get it to go on the damn pole :S
Yep. my stand sucks major Arse. Its better than nothing though.
MADCAP

Post by MADCAP »

well i think i found my ring idea to build: http://lagnese.me/Hub/Photos/Pages/Simulator_2011.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

the basic concept idea is there, plus he shows many photos of certain areas to help build your own, yeah i won't go into the hardcore detail that he has put in place, but the base and frame work for monitors and steering + pedals is really nice