Joining I racing

iRacing
TIMMY30

Joining I racing

Post by TIMMY30 »

Hey all,

So some adsl ports finally opened up in my area which means I can get back into online racing. Unfortunately it's only ADSL 1 8000/1500.
My question is how much does iracing rely on a fast Internet connection?.

Also any advice for someone stepping into the world of iracing for the first time?. What cars/tracks to buy or anything that may be helpful for me to know...

Cheers, Tim
Exar Kun
Sensible Mick

Re: Joining I racing

Post by Exar Kun »

8000/1500 is all I can get and it's more than adequate for iRacing.
"If we can hit that bull's-eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!"
DarrenM

Post by DarrenM »

That's faster than my connection, so no problems.

Make sure you use the cadillac offer is still available.
viewtopic.php?f=72&t=17499" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

That gives you 6 months free with a couple extra tracks on top of the normal base content. Once on you'll have time to see what series are popular and what cars you might want to race.
TIMMY30

Post by TIMMY30 »

Thanks Mick and Darren. Just signed up for internet first time ive had ADSL in 2 years :).

How much longer do you think that deal will be on?. Should i join now even though im unable to download iracing just yet? Is that even possible for me to do? (Get licenced or whatever before i can physically download and begin playing).

Ill have a net connection ready to play within the next 7-10 days.

Cheers, Tim
DarrenM

Post by DarrenM »

No idea when the deal ends, but given that it's for 6 months, losing a week probably won't hurt unless there are delays getting your connection up.

Everything is done via the website so you don't need to be able to download/install anything to register. Once registered you could download the installer on another machine and copy it to your home pc. You could then practice by yourself until your ADSL is ready, assuming you have some form of internet connection from your home pc at the moment.

Can't imagine being without broadband for 2 years :faint:
TIMMY30

Post by TIMMY30 »

Just did about 10 laps of lime rock park in the solistce. Best lap of 1:15 lol (my 2 year old was sitting on my lap).

Feels pretty damn good. Is there a way to get KM/H instead of MPH?.

Any other hints or tips/settings i should alter?.

Thanks, Tim

P.S.. that caddy deal has since changed to 3 months instead of 6. Still good though :) thanks Darren
Last edited by TIMMY30 on Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Exar Kun
Sensible Mick

Post by Exar Kun »

Once in game, in options you'll be able to change from imperial to metric (top right, next to garage).

Make sure you set your brake load in there to something comfortable for you and play around with the FOV '[' and ']' in car to something you like. Note that for in car controls (not so much of an issue in the rookie cars) you can customise them for each car so worth a look at doing that too.
"If we can hit that bull's-eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!"
DarrenM

Post by DarrenM »

In the sim click Options top right of screen. Then click the Other tab and there is an option for metric.

Open the app.ini in the Documents\iRacing folder. Look for the option that sets linearFFB and set it to 1. There is also an option there to boost ffb around center. Set it to 0.1 or 0.2. Feels better/more natural than the default.
TIMMY30

Post by TIMMY30 »

Awesome guys thanks.

Mick, in regards to the brake load since i have a load cell brake apparantly i just set it to 0 which saves me fiddling around with that.

Darren- What wheel do you use?. I will try those settings out but i would think each different type of wheel would be different?

Ta
DarrenM

Post by DarrenM »

The boost around center is the one to tweak to your liking. The linear option should be better with all wheels.

I have a Fanatec clubsport wheel and a G27.
Leweegibo

Post by Leweegibo »

One thing i found is i had to boost in game ffb after doing the linearity tweak, to get it to my liking anyway. Def feels better overall tho
TIMMY30

Post by TIMMY30 »

Thanks Darren. I have the CSR Elite wheel. So they are fairly similar wheels in terms of internals.

Can you post what settings you have running on the wheel? I.e Sen,FF,DRI (obviously this is off) etc...

Thanks,
Tim
DarrenM

Post by DarrenM »

Not sure if the wheel still has all these settings.

Sen - 900 (or whatever gives you 900 degrees rotation with your wheel)
FF - 100
SHo - 100 (not used by iRacing)
For - 100
SPr - 100 (not used by iRacing)
AbS - off
Lin - off
dEA - off
drI - off
dPr - off

Force setting in the sim depends on the car and personal preference, but I like it around 12-18 range. No damping.
TIMMY30

Post by TIMMY30 »

Thanks mate.

After about 25 laps total i managed a 1:03:061 at Lime Rock full circuit with Solstice Rookie car. Is that any good?

Thanks,
Tim
DarrenM

Post by DarrenM »

Good start for first laps in a new sim. The solstice is only used in the inRacing challenge series at the moment and last season the qualifying times at Lime Rock ranged from 58.7 to 1:03.5.

The starting series is with the MX-5, so you might be better off practicing that. Qual times in that series go from 58's to 1:10's. The Cup car is a little faster than the Roadster IIRC.

Go to this page if you want to see the fastest times for other cars/tracks
http://members.iracing.com/membersite/m ... ecords.jsp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
TIMMY30

Post by TIMMY30 »

Thanks Darren, your help is much appreciated mate.

So from here i need to get into the mx5 and start racing to get a rating. Is that right?. Also do i have to wait for week 1 in a series before i can start?
Jiminee

Post by Jiminee »

MX5 - yes, that is the road rookie car.
You will start earning ratings (SR and IR) straight away but your IR will not be displayed till you advance from rookie.
And you can jump in whenever, no need to wait for week 1.
XLV SPORT
r8response
Cry baby
Cry baby

Post by r8response »

Concentrate on clean racing. Forget about winning and just finish the race with the least amount of incident points possible.
TIMMY30

Post by TIMMY30 »

Yeah thanks guys. Its going to be a large learning curve for me i think considering my main sim was always LFS where you could go for the win as hard as possible and there were no real re-percussions to your actions.

Will jump in the mx5 now and see how i go.

Thanks,
Tim
TIMMY30

Post by TIMMY30 »

Managed a 1:01.3x in the mx5 at Lime Rock last night. Still gotta find like 3 seconds somewhere haha :)
Leweegibo

Post by Leweegibo »

Taking off any driver aids will help find a bit of time, think they are on by default, if u haven't switched them off already :yes:
TIMMY30

Post by TIMMY30 »

Thanks mate.

Did my first race this afternoon and i had an absolute ball!!!.

25 laps of okyhama short course in the mx5. Managed 3rd out of 10. Absolutly stoked and i only made 1 error the entire race. My rating went from rookie 2.50 to rookie 2.86.

Are all the races in iracing quite lengthy?. 25 laps in a rookie race was huge considering i haven't raced online in over 2 years. Loved it though :D .

Thanks everyone for the advice.

Tim
Exar Kun
Sensible Mick

Post by Exar Kun »

I think on road courses you're looking at around 20 to 25 minutes for a rookie race, 35 to 40 minutes for D class and 40 to 45 minutes for C class. As a very rough guide and I haven't raced in ages so I could be wrong. :tilt:
TIMMY30

Post by TIMMY30 »

Thanks Mick :)
TIMMY30

Post by TIMMY30 »

Won 2 races today and got my SR up to 3.68. Once it reaches 4.00 im automatocally promoted right?. Having an absolute ball :D