iRacing coming to steam

iRacing
nutty
Spam King
Spam King

iRacing coming to steam

Post by nutty »

Through the Greenlight project

Not sure excatly how this will work tho, but should open iRacing up to new people
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/f ... =129485071" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NeilPearson
Prize Winning ARSE

Re: iRacing coming to steam

Post by NeilPearson »

I am dissapointed with that. I dont class iRacing as an indie developer.
Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

Neil I don't understand your comment, steam isn't just for indie developers?

I'm still tossing up getting iRacing as I only sim offline these days but the 1/2 off new membership for Oct is very enticing.
Dukester

norbs diplomacy lesson 101: "If I was putting words in your mouth, you'd know."
NeilPearson
Prize Winning ARSE

Post by NeilPearson »

Greenlight is for indie developers from what I can tell. its there to get the community to find the best indie games and promote them and get their name out. iRacing has been around for 5 years now, for me they don't fit the profile.
richo

Post by richo »

Software goes on Steam more software sold .

That and the convenience that Steam provides with their own payment gateway IMHO I can see that as a win win deal for iracing.
[]D [] []v[] []D
r8response
Cry baby
Cry baby

Post by r8response »

NeilPearson wrote:Greenlight is for indie developers from what I can tell. its there to get the community to find the best indie games and promote them and get their name out. iRacing has been around for 5 years now, for me they don't fit the profile.

It isn't just for "indie" developers. Been a few well established developers who have only gotten onto Steam via the Greenlight process.
Dr. Pain

Post by Dr. Pain »

I've got F1 2011, 2012 and 2013, CARS, flight sims and all kinds of stuff on steam now. It will get it out to more but one thing it needs, servers via steam so we can create our own races and race your mates but still have the service offered by iracing. I know it's only $2 or so to host but we've bought the content so at least let us have some form of cost free hosting so you can restart Rockingham 20 times after all the first lap wipe outs.
Minister for Religious Genocide.
Woodee
Clean as a Whistle
Clean as a Whistle

Post by Woodee »

Netkar Pro was on Greenlight as was Assetta Corsa. Greenlight is just a gauge of interest in whether people would want the games on Steam. I guess Steam want to keep games on the platform that people actually want to play. There are those games from the Niche companies that don't necessarily have a back catalogue to go from.
My Fundraising Journey

Raised over £1000 for the Scoliosis Campaign Fund from 2011-2013.
GT VIRUS
Karen

Post by GT VIRUS »

The more I read this, the more it seems like a bit of a dick move by iRacing. As they aren't going to be using any part of the steam service besides some advertising and I guess the first subscription, it looks like a waste of Valve's time. I think they'll likely not get onto steam in the near future unless they back down on a couple of things
Jiminee

Post by Jiminee »

Why is it a dick move? I am sure somewhere in the deal Valve will get a cut and I would not expect there to be 100,000 new members signing up.
XLV SPORT
r8response
Cry baby
Cry baby

Post by r8response »

GT VIRUS wrote:The more I read this, the more it seems like a bit of a dick move by iRacing. As they aren't going to be using any part of the steam service besides some advertising and I guess the first subscription, it looks like a waste of Valve's time. I think they'll likely not get onto steam in the near future unless they back down on a couple of things
I guess all the other companies doing the same thing are dicks as well :rolleyes:
DarrenM

Post by DarrenM »

There's a shit ton of free to play games on steam which don't do their purchases through steam. Steam just downloads the initial launcher.

Even if valve don't make direct money from sales they probably just want as many games on as possible to attract people to their store and to help future projects like SteamOS.