Dusting off the racing gear. iRacing or Assetto Corsa?

iRacing
avaran

Dusting off the racing gear. iRacing or Assetto Corsa?

Post by avaran »

Hi guys,

It's been a while since I've been around on these forums, and even longer since I've done some serious sim'ing. I'm looking to get back into sim racing again. I miss the good clean racing, and having a few good races with people other than randoms when I do jump on LFS or GT5 etc.

So I have a bit of a question. What sim are the majority of ARSE'ers using these days? iRacing, Assetto Corsa? I'm interested in maybe getting on for a race once or twice a week, whether on a set day, or just random.

I'd really appreciate any feedback you guys could give. I hope to race against some of you guys again soon! :)

Cheers,

Rob
Bauer

Re: Dusting off the racing gear. iRacing or Assetto Corsa?

Post by Bauer »

From someone whose sim days are currently dormant as well, I'd say AC based on what you are looking for. :up:
--------------
Stu
avaran

Post by avaran »

Cool, thanks for the quick reply. Is the multiplayer stable enough at the moment for a decent experience?
SE1Z

Post by SE1Z »

AC is currently half price on Steam - $19.99
Get on it! :tilt:
Steve
---
avaran

Post by avaran »

I got on it. I cut a few laps. Feels nice. Tried to play online, qualified, and then it pooped itself after the session changed to Race. I'll have to try again. :)
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

Raceroom racing experience is also really good. And free to give it a bash. The DTM add on just got multiplayer alpha. Looks like it's worth keeping an eye on.

I bought DTM but sadly, my system is just to old to run that properly. Strangely, I can run RRE perfectly fine though.

Sent from Han Solo using TK-421's phone.
avaran

Post by avaran »

I might have to fire that one up too. Are there plenty of players on RRE? I like Assetto Corsa, but am finding it hard to find a race online, especially with that "Booking" system. I did have a nice battle with some AI in the Fiat 500's though. That felt nice.
SE1Z

Post by SE1Z »

avaran wrote:I might have to fire that one up too. Are there plenty of players on RRE? I like Assetto Corsa, but am finding it hard to find a race online, especially with that "Booking" system. I did have a nice battle with some AI in the Fiat 500's though. That felt nice.
This is tonights race.
http://www.aacl.net.au/formula-abarth-s ... rnational/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You need to get in on some organised ARSE style races. :yes:
Steve
---
avaran

Post by avaran »

SE1Z wrote:
avaran wrote:I might have to fire that one up too. Are there plenty of players on RRE? I like Assetto Corsa, but am finding it hard to find a race online, especially with that "Booking" system. I did have a nice battle with some AI in the Fiat 500's though. That felt nice.
This is tonights race.
http://www.aacl.net.au/formula-abarth-s ... rnational/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You need to get in on some organised ARSE style races. :yes:
Hey, hey! Now we're talking! I'll just come along and give someone else a chance to be second last. ;)
pixelboy

Post by pixelboy »

That would be me and thanks :-)
eek
richo

Post by richo »

That spot is taken! Oh you said second last :)
[]D [] []v[] []D
avaran

Post by avaran »

pixelboy wrote:That would be me and thanks :-)
haha. No worries. But it seems I've missed the boat on this weeks race. :(

So perhaps you can take last place for me instead. :lol:
somebloke

Post by somebloke »

Hi guys,

Good to see the A.R.S.E is still continuing. A lot of familiar names from the Live For Speed days. That racing was so much fun and a great community with all the people.

I thought i would bump this rather then start a new topic as i have much of the same question. I have been completely out of it all for awhile now. I only have a laptop and would need to buy the setup etc to do it all.

I don't know much about current things but have heard about iRacing which sounds really interesting with the dirt track racing as well as everything else. I notice you guys also talk about Project Cars and Assetto Corso.

Any tips or direction would be appreciated in what is good or not.
Sarsippius

Post by Sarsippius »

I think with iRacing just get a three month sub or whatever the current deal is and see how you like it. I've recently been getting into dirt track and you can see some of my races in the youtube thread in this section to get a feel for what it's like.

I can't comment much on other titles as iRacing is all I play, if you want online competition then there's nothing else that can compete with it really.
somebloke

Post by somebloke »

Iracing looks great from what I’ve been looking at. The dirt track for me is a massive draw card. There hasn’t been anything decent on the sprint car front for a decade!

The thing for me is i need to start from scratch with everything again. By that I mean PC, wheel/pedals at least. What are you running there wheel/pedals etc if you don’t mind me asking?

I’m trying to work out what sort of budget for the setup I’m likely to be spending.
Sarsippius

Post by Sarsippius »

Well it's really a matter of how much are you willing to spend :)

Say for pedals I think the lowest you would want to go is CSL Elites, they're the cheapest load cell pedal set around as far as i know, next step up would be the CSP v3 or from there what I run are HE Pro pedals (currently on sale atm I believe). The advantage of going higher end is the resale will always be good if you pack it in after a while and the quality and durability of a set like the HE Pros is awesome.

For wheels there are a lot of options, I still use my old CSW v1, the CSW v2.5 is probably the best non-direct drive wheel you can get. Thrustmaster wheels are pretty common around here, the TS-PC is close to the CSW from what I understand. If you want to go high end for a wheel then direct drive is where it's at nowadays. I've pre-ordered a Fanatec DD1, it's probably the most cost effective DD wheel for us here in Australia, otherwise you're looking at building your own OSW wheel or buying an OSW kit from overseas (or there are a few local options too).

For a PC it kinda depends but for iRacing single threaded performance is most important, particularly if you use VR. If you run a single screen or triples then a regular Intel i5 or Ryzen chip will probably do. If you use VR then you need something like an 8600k overclocked to around 5.0GHz, I personally have a 7600k at 5.0GHz. The i5 is all you need, the i7's will not help in iRacing, the 8600k is probably a more future proof option as it has 6 real cores vs 4 that I have, it makes no difference right now for iRacing but could in the future.
I use a GTX1080 for a GPU, I don't believe there's really any need for anything more in iRacing in any scenario, a 1070 would probably suffice.

Other games will be a bit different but I don't run anything else so can't really comment. Something like an 8600k will be good for anything but other games might benefit from a better GPU.

For someone starting from scratch and wanting a really kick ass setup I'd say you're looking at $6k+

~$1k - Pedals
~$2k - Wheel (base and steering wheel)
~$2k - PC
~$700 - $1.5k - Monitor/s &/or VR
~$1k - Rig and extras

It's actually a bit scary when you lay it out like that, you can drop that quite a bit

~$1.2 - $2.2k - Fanatec bundles including pedals, base and wheel, CSL level through to CSW level
~$2 - 2.5k - PC/Monitor/VR
~$500 - $1k - DIY Rig and extras

So maybe around $4k for mid/good quality range and not that you couldn't save more either.
somebloke

Post by somebloke »

Sars, appreciate the advice and tips there.

Bare with me as i get married in 3 weeks. So once those bills have passed i'll get onto sorting this out.

Have you heard of and/or used Pagian Imports?
AstrO
Help Desk Expert

Post by AstrO »

I bought all my current gear from Pagnian: https://www.pagnianimports.com.au/
Just note that packages are where it's at and prices can change quite quickly.

Although I've been out of the scene for while as family and carer duties have come first. Fingers crossed that I can get back in soon.