V8 help request

iRacing
Jiminee

V8 help request

Post by Jiminee »

Lads
As I mentioned in the main iRacing chat thread I am really enjoying the V8 this season but I am pathetically slow so far - I would really like to find a second a lap or so but I do not even know where to start.
I know the tracks and I am consistent (easily done when you're slow as a wise man once told me) but I seem to use the front tyres up way too much and then I just get slower and slower.

Is there anyone who could have a look at my qually lap from MoSport and provide some guidance - at least describe where I am really slow so I can start investigating that?

Also, first time trying to use Google drive so please let me know if that replay file is not downloadable.

Thanks
Jim
XLV SPORT
renesis37

Re: V8 help request

Post by renesis37 »

I am not running this week but I can assist at Monza next week if you like.

My baseline setup I posted chews up the fronts at some tracks, this car is sensitive to front tyre surface temp. I do have a baseline that will rotate easier that is for tracks like Phillip Island (and maybe mosport, i've never driven it), uses less front tyre but it is noticeably harder to get the power down, it is a serious trade off with this car that needs to be managed at all times. Other games you can add front bite to help the situation but in iRacing you usually need to take away at the rear as adding front grip will just cause more heat.
Jiminee

Post by Jiminee »

Well between your comments here and in the other thread I just took half a second off my PB, time trial laps and a full second off my best lap by splits and all I did to the setup was play with the ARBs a bit.
I was however super conscious of nursing the front tyres and making sure I did not over load them (and hear them scrubbing) on corner entry and through the mid corner and bang - instant improvement.

My theory is that years of rFactor and earlier editions of iRacing have me absolutely petrified of losing the rear end so I was over compensating by using the front end too hard, but I could feel it in that little session there whenever I dipped into old habits that the fronts would just give up and I would plough understeer through the corner and then struggle on the next few corners as the fronts were obviously cooked.

So I have a lot of bad habits to break but I have a direction to go in now so thank you very much!
Hugely appreciated.
XLV SPORT
Dr. Pain

Post by Dr. Pain »

Go play Dirt Rally for a while. That will force you out of old habits.
Minister for Religious Genocide.
Jiminee

Post by Jiminee »

Nice idea but Bathurst is looming large so have to concentrate on the V8 for now.
XLV SPORT
renesis37

Post by renesis37 »

Hey mate, did you want a setup for Monza tonight? or are you skipping this week because of Bathurst?