Youtube Racing Videos

iRacing
Sarsippius

Re: Youtube Racing Videos

Post by Sarsippius »

hylas and I found ourselves a bit outclassed in the top split of the Bathurst 1000 racing against all the V8 big guns. We started 20th out of 26 but kept it together (mostly) to take 10th in the end :up:

Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

LMAO!!!

Dukester

norbs diplomacy lesson 101: "If I was putting words in your mouth, you'd know."
Sarsippius

Post by Sarsippius »

Well I'm sure you guys have been missing me right? :lol:

I actually haven't touched the wheel since the Bathurst 1000 but I was able to get right back into the groove of things in the Roar before the 24 :)

Sarsippius

Post by Sarsippius »

Last weekend was the Daytona 24hr race, I think this is my fourth one now :faint: and it ended up being the maiden win in a team race for our team :first:

Some highlights include some three wide action on the oval where the GT3 below comes up and nearly pushes me into the DP above, some choice words for the 4th place GTE who raced me super hard for a number of laps and a lucky spin at the bus stop.

Sarsippius

Post by Sarsippius »

I captured all three of my stints so I figured I may as well upload the other two. My second stint I honestly don't remember much of now.

In this stint I nearly rammed my sister car from behind and also spent about 6 laps stuck behind a slow DP before finally having to force a pass around the outside

Sarsippius

Post by Sarsippius »

Yes, Daytona again :faint:

I couldn't tell you how many laps I've done of this track over the last month or so. This Nissan is a total monster, I had a good race in it at Road America last year but it was definitely more tricky at this track. A very topsy turvy race but I managed to get a decent result. I mostly muted it but somewhere around mid race I took a gulp of water and it went down the wrong bloody way, causing a massive coughing fit as I tried to navigate the bus stop lol

hylas was also in this one in the Audi :yes:

The v8sonline broadcast

Sarsippius

Post by Sarsippius »

The inaugural Bathurst 12hr on iRacing, unfortunately it didn't turn out to be a good one. I was dreading the first time the GT3 field came through and I wasn't disappointed, punted in the rear exiting Sulman. Aside from this though I was feeling really good the whole time, totally in tune with the car and track and like I could lap all day long. When you feel like you've tamed the mountain it is truly satisfying.

I also tried the Crew Chief app for the first time and quite like it. It might be a bit much to have it call out each sector but the other functions including the pit stop stuff is quite good.

Sarsippius

Post by Sarsippius »

And Daytona again, oval this time. This was my first 500 and I gotta say I enjoyed it.

I had some bad luck and a noob decision saw me two laps down early so it was a struggle most of the way but I managed to fight back to the lead lap and fight for the top 10. Joined again by hylas, it's definitely better racing with friends :up:

Sarsippius

Post by Sarsippius »

Another round of the Majors Series, I actually enjoyed this combo, Phoenix is a good track as far as ovals go and the Silver Crown is not a bad car, small, light and with a boat load of power. Gets to a higher top speed along the short straights than any GT3 or GTE does :up:

The heat was a good one for me and went green the whole way. The main wasn't so good and ended up a bit of a caution fest. I left those in figuring they can always be skipped through and usually hylas and I had a lot of back and forth chat. I wasn't sure if I'd even upload the main, I actually had the pace to win but kinda squandered it :melt:

Sarsippius

Post by Sarsippius »

I don't think the oval races are that interesting for you guys but I've done some NiS races to help improve my oval skills to try and do better in the Majors Series. I had two good races on the weekend, this is the first race which was open setup. It's kinda funny how much bitching and moaning you get from all the oval guys at a track like Martinsville. Most of the oval racing I've done which was many years ago now was on short tracks and it looks like I still have some of those skills :)

Sarsippius

Post by Sarsippius »

This was my second race, fixed setup this time, in some ways the better race with more and longer green flag runs but not quite as good a result. I trimmed out the cautions in both of these :yes:

They have a good thing going with NiS, it's kind of how iRacing could and should work if they had like half a million subscribers and every race was splitting 4+ times so you get good even competition in each split. The longer lengths are also good allowing a bit more strategy and ebb and flow to the racing.

I forgot to mention the last two weeks I've used the Oculus Mirror rather than the iRacing mirror to capture the races, the quality of the output is miles better so the videos look much better now. The iRacing mirror seems to use a low resolution which is scaled up resulting in lots of jaggies, the Oculus one you can specify the resolution making the output almost monitor quality.
Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

What time (AUS) are you doing these NiS races? I have often thought about doing some then couldn't be bothered working out when they are on. lol
Also how do you find the ping/lag as I also assume you end up on an international (US) server?
Dukester

norbs diplomacy lesson 101: "If I was putting words in your mouth, you'd know."
Sarsippius

Post by Sarsippius »

You can check the times just like any series, bring up the series on the website and change the date to whichever day you're looking at. The only times that are suitable for me are Open on Saturday mornings at 10:30am (12 lunch I guess for Melb at the moment) and Fixed on Saturday night at 7:30pm (9pm for you). There's races on Thursday through Sunday but all the others are in the middle of the night or during working hours.

Ping seems ok for me and being in Darwin I'm usually a bit over 300ms to the US servers. You can see in the vids I was racing pretty close and didn't really have any issues.

If you're interested and can make a race I'd say just give it a shot. If you try open go to the forum and look for the sets John Hammer posts, they're what I've been using.
Sarsippius

Post by Sarsippius »

With no NiS race or Majors Series this week I decided to jump back into the Aston DBR9 having not raced it for maybe a couple years now, one of the best cars in the service in my opinion :nod: Pure thoroughbred race car :revs:

This race only just went official but it was one of those times where you luckily and get a couple guys of similar pace and get to have a hard fought race. I sound a bit breathless on the mic at the end because I was hehe :D

Sarsippius

Post by Sarsippius »

This week's Majors Series race, two hours around COTA :melt:

This track's poor reputation is definitely well earned, this was my first ever race here but I didn't expect how tough a slog two hours here would be, I was totally wrecked afterwards :faint:

Sarsippius

Post by Sarsippius »

Another Majors race, again not a great result in this series but not so bad considering

Sarsippius

Post by Sarsippius »

So it was all Daytona for a while there, recently it's been all Nurburgring :)

I felt I redeemed myself somewhat this race, no silly crashes, kept it clean the whole almost 5 hours I spent in the car. Followed up almost immediately by a nice 3 hour drive to Katherine, was a bit sore after all that :faint:

Sarsippius

Post by Sarsippius »

I ran an open race prior to this one but it didn't go so well, I got a bit of a shock for this fixed race to qualify in second place and then again to pull away from the field on the first couple of long green flag runs. I then managed to completely stuff up a pit stop and had to work my way back up, never quite getting back into position to challenge for the win.

Overall it was some good racing, some good runs, not too many cautions and some good give and take.

Sarsippius

Post by Sarsippius »

Here is the latest Majors race, it's taken a while to get ready given it was such a long race. It was quite a successful one for me starting in 17th but securing a very good result. There were some ups and downs, I got caught up in a wreck between team mates but the damage wasn't too bad and I was able to soldier on. I cut the caution periods down where I could but Shayne and I discussed the race etc. a lot during these and I kept all that in :)

Sarsippius

Post by Sarsippius »

Getting in some race practice for the Majors Indy 500 I did some open and fixed races. I had bad luck in three of them but finally got a good one in on my final try. I still got in a few scrapes but was able to charge my way back through the field.

Sarsippius

Post by Sarsippius »

My first Indy 500, not a bad result considering I had to use my fast reset on lap 3 and then got rear ended and carried some damage for 160 laps.

Sarsippius

Post by Sarsippius »

The Majors series ran their own 24h Le Mans over the weekend, hylas and I along with another couple of our team mates took part. We ran in the GTLM class with the Ferrari 488 GTE, starting 4th we had to take a 60s penalty for a snafu in practice but clawed our way back to fight for the podium.

Sarsippius

Post by Sarsippius »

This was my first week in the Radical and it was a bit of a mixed bag race wise, first race I got rammed from behind, then tried to pass someone down the straight who mustn't have known I was there and kept moving across in front of me. I kept in it and unfortunately we came together, I had to take about 9 mins of repairs but still managed to take 8th. Second race I lead from the front and won by 40s. Third race I got slightly loose putting the power down out of T1 on Lap 1, I was catching it but 3rd was right behind and I came across him and into the wall. Fourth race was the best of the week, small grid but a good close fight

Sarsippius

Post by Sarsippius »

My first ever race in the Lotus 79, I surprised myself qualifying 3rd against some pretty stiff competition. The race was pretty eventful but was possibly 1 lap too long for me.

Sarsippius

Post by Sarsippius »

This was a pretty good race, the draft kept the guy on my tail so I had to be on it the whole way.