Accidental Guerrilla - David Kilcullen.

A place to chat about what you are reading. Whether it is book, magazine or eBook. Also, audio books.
c.j
Midget Wanker

Accidental Guerrilla - David Kilcullen.

Post by c.j »

After watching David Kilcullen's address to the National Press Club a few months ago I was keen to read this book. I was given a copy for Christmas.

The book is written from the authors view on War, specifically post 9/11 and the effect of globalization (deliberately spelt with a z). He does go into small detail on some of his experiences pre 9/11 and some of the errors made in trying to judge the future of warfare.

He goes on to explain the differences between groups who are counter-globalization, that being groups like Al-Qaeda who want to remove western influence and control the world, and groups who are anti-globalization, i.e. groups who are more traditional and would like to remove access to westerners and the influences of the internet, global trading etc.

Killcullen is also adament that the key place that needs addressing is Pakistan. It is the center of gravity now.

I have only read part of the book so far. Reading this book as someone who has put boots on the ground and walked the green belt in the heart of taliban central I can say for me, this book is great. I recommend it.

I have written this thread after a glass of wine and almost 2am, so any errors are the keyboards fault.
Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561198089849481]Image[/url]

;)
c.j
Midget Wanker

Re: Accidental Guerrilla - David Kilcullen.

Post by c.j »

Ok so I am halfway through. And wow! I am impressed by the this book.

For me it has so much familiarity. The "accidental guerrilla syndrome" he writes about is something of a phenomenon that we (being my superiors) discussed frequently for almost every deployment I was involved in.

People who find themselves fighting not because that is their nature but ultimately they are fighting for the same reasons we would if someone were to invade/occupy/legislate our country.

The Americans have obviously realised the importance of this thinking by asking the Australian Government if they can borrow the Author. He has spoken of his experiences and observation of this "syndrome" in front of some pretty impressive audiences, including the B Plan team in the Pentagon (responsible for the alternative plan for the Iraq occupation), Westpoint and other major players.

The chapter on Afghanistan relates in timeline to my first deployment there and was interesting to relate to the things on the ground that we were reacting too as they happened in Theatre.

I have taken my time with this book, researching through my own field notes and diaries, sources online and other books I have to get a real insight into the actions that took place over the last 3-4 years in both Iraq and Afghanistan.

Again I thoroughly recommend this book for anyone who has an interest into the mindset of the population in these theatres, what motivates them to join the insurgents, the planning to combat an insurgent force and to win the political war that is often not reported behind the scenes of combat.
Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561198089849481]Image[/url]

;)