Dune and Rendezvous with Rama

A place to chat about what you are reading. Whether it is book, magazine or eBook. Also, audio books.
Nigel
Stupid Retard
Stupid Retard

Dune and Rendezvous with Rama

Post by Nigel »

I was losing some geek cred as I have never read it. Been meaning to for years and have finally got a round to it. I am also reading Rendezvous with Rama which have red before, but is always a good read.
Flickr Gallery
Fourth Photography
"There is nothing funny about a clown in the moonlight." - Lon Chaney, Sr.
Exar Kun
Sensible Mick

Re: Dune and Rendezvous with Rama

Post by Exar Kun »

Dune is close to my favourite book. One of the few i've read multiple times. The rest of the original Frank Herbert Dune books are fantastic too. He isn't the most gifted author but that somehow adds to the charm. It always feels like there's a lot more going on in the universe than he lets on. Unfortunately, the cash cow that his son and Kevin J Anderson have taken on with the new Dune books is practically written for children. It's nice that we got to read about more of the stuff Frank Herbert had lined up for his universe but now it's just being milked for money. I mean, writing books to fill in the spaces between the original books? The spaces that were there because not enough happened to bother writing a book in the first place?

Enough of a rant - Dune is totally awesome. The Rama books are great too - they get a bit crazy at the end but it's all good.
"If we can hit that bull's-eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!"
Johnny X
Clean as a Whistle
Clean as a Whistle

Post by Johnny X »

Whatever the media, Dune is one of my all time favourites :yes:

Would agree with EK, some things should just be left alone. I liken it to sequels in films and ,to some extent, re-makes of films. Seems we are running out of originality or it's just too easy to re-hash old stuff :nod:
VTRacing
Team Pedant (c)

Post by VTRacing »

I've read all of the original Frank Herbert Dune books, and enjoyed them thoroughly, even though he seemed to go off the rails a little bit for books 5 & 6.

As for the "re-imagining" by his son and Kevin Anderson, I believe Penny Arcade summed it up pretty well:
215480403_bc9zA-L-2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
:teach: