Fact or Fiction or both?

A place to chat about what you are reading. Whether it is book, magazine or eBook. Also, audio books.

what do you read mostly?

fact
36%
fiction
41%
equal of both
23%

Total votes: 22

w00dsy
The Senna of Hoppers Crossing

Fact or Fiction or both?

Post by w00dsy »

i have only read 1 fictional book outside of school and that was The DaVinci Code. Everything i read is fact based books, i love an autobiography more than anything else.
schuey97
Yet to Dip his Nib

Re: Fact or Fiction or both?

Post by schuey97 »

I can read both very easily.
Really like an autobiography, but always enjoy getting into fictional as you can escape reality for a while.
Schuey's Unobtainables
Natalie Portman -- Delta Goodrem -- Miranda Kerr -- Avril Lavigne
Exar Kun
Sensible Mick

Post by Exar Kun »

Fiction pretty much all the way for me. And that fiction is all sci-fi with the odd fantasy thrown in. It's all about escapism for me.
"If we can hit that bull's-eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!"
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

non fiction... the only books ive read in recent years have been photographic text books like Basic Photographic Materials and Processes, Light Science and Magic, oh and How To Write a Better Thesis. Does that count??? I guess thats reading out of necessity more than pleasure, but I honestly enjoyed Light Science and Magic.
Johnny X
Clean as a Whistle
Clean as a Whistle

Post by Johnny X »

Started out as a fiction reader in my youth, mainly sci fi... Asimov, Arthur C Clarke etc... with a little bit of James Herbert as well. Actually started reading books instead of comics when I spent a couple of weeks in hospital with menengitis as a 10 year old. These days my interests have changed and I have a desire to try and understand the world we live in and how we got here so all my reading material is universe/evolution stuff atm with the occasional autobiography thrown in to soften the edge.

I've gone from fiction to fact, just like my life seems to have progressed really :)

I found that I struggled to read fiction in later life, if a story doesn't grab my attention within the first few pages it doesn't stand a chance. I also have a tendency to be a little cynical and if something sounds the slightest bit preposterous I reject it... which doesn't bode well for fiction unfortunately :eek:
r8response
Cry baby
Cry baby

Post by r8response »

Pretty much all my books are fiction. Not that i avoid books based on fact, i just tend to gravitate towards a good action/sci-fi novel
macca
Founder
Founder

Post by macca »

w00dsy wrote:i have only read 1 fictional book outside of school and that was The DaVinci Code. Everything i read is fact based books, i love an autobiography more than anything else.
Totally agree with that, non-fiction definitely. Da Vinci code was utter crap :p
I don't know where I'm going but I'm on my way!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/zedmacca/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
norbs
fucking right wing vegan lesbian

Post by norbs »

Don't be fooled into thinking autobiographies are all fact boys. :shake:
Sarc ; my second favourite type of gasm.
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

I gather some info from 'factual' reads - but it's seldom books nowadays.

For fun, I only read fiction.
Surprise, no sig. Now there is. Or is there?
macca
Founder
Founder

Post by macca »

norbs wrote:Don't be fooled into thinking autobiographies are all fact boys. :shake:
ooh, some Norbs wisdom :D , maybe non-fiction is a better terminology than fact (that opens up a whole world of debate in itself about proving a fact) but even then you always have to consider that you are reading from one persons (autobiography) perspective & that they are sometimes ghost written, but non-fiction doesn't mean strictly autobiography either. Like everything in life, put your own interpretation on it.

Of course, we often see a blending of fiction & non-fiction these days, which can be interesting reads.
I don't know where I'm going but I'm on my way!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/zedmacca/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
kwijibo
Squatting Squirter

Post by kwijibo »

macca wrote:
w00dsy wrote:i have only read 1 fictional book outside of school and that was The DaVinci Code. Everything i read is fact based books, i love an autobiography more than anything else.
Totally agree with that, non-fiction definitely. Da Vinci code was utter crap :p
I enjoyed Da Vinci code.. I liked all the Dan Brown books actually... the new one I didn't find very good though.

I generally read fiction books though have read a few non fiction books in the last year too. Would like to read some autobiographies too... whats a good one? Note that I am not interested in car racing :)
DarrenM

Post by DarrenM »

Fiction. Fantasy, historical fiction/classics and a little sci-fi.

I've read a couple autobiographies and while they were interesting I didn't get much out of them. I probably just don't give enough of a shit about celebs to want to know about their life story.

I used to read text books as well to teach myself stuff like 3d modelling, but without using it I quickly forget it all so it seemed a bit futile :)
J.D.
Rat

Post by J.D. »

norbs wrote:Don't be fooled into thinking autobiographies are all fact boys. :shake:
I'm glad someone said it. Even biographies can be suss. I never read anything about celebs.

I read mostly history, which is usually fact and fiction in about equal measure. It just depends on whose version of events you prefer (remember folks: history is the winner's story ;)). Some historical writers have a predilection for embellishing things which is getting out of hand these days. Don't get me started.

Recently read The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes but that is about the only "fun" fiction book I've read for a while. The last thing I read like that was probably one of the Patrick O'Brien Aubrey/Maturin novels.
сначала мы убиваем американского лося и белку.

"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell.

Proudly never a mod or admin at RSC from 2001 - 2009.
Nigel
Stupid Retard
Stupid Retard

Post by Nigel »

I think I have only ever read on none fiction book outside of school. And even that was TV based. "Who on Earth Is Tom Baker?" An autobiography on the most famous Doctor Who of them all. I stated thinking it would an insight into his roll as the Doctor. Sure it had some of that, but I was stunned to find out just what a nutter he was in his life. Its compleing really. I mean the moment you hear how he was training to be a monk but disliked it so much he tried to poison the monks with rat poison. And that's just one thing, ever mind all the other stuff. Spell binding I would say this book was. You can also get it on Audiobook narrated by Tom himself.
Flickr Gallery
Fourth Photography
"There is nothing funny about a clown in the moonlight." - Lon Chaney, Sr.
smithcorp
Occasional Visitor
Occasional Visitor

Post by smithcorp »

Woodsy, try some historical fiction, you might like the links with history. As a starting point, grab Julian Rathbone's The Last English King - well-written, funny and filled with historical references.
norbs

Post by norbs »

smithcorp wrote:
Woodsy, try some historical fiction, you might like the links with history. As a starting point, grab Julian Rathbone's The Last English King - well-written, funny and filled with historical references.
Sort of like the Da Vinci Code. :)
smithcorp
Occasional Visitor
Occasional Visitor

Post by smithcorp »

Why you rotten....
norbs

Post by norbs »

smithcorp wrote:Why you rotten....
... albino monk? :lol:
lencemark

Post by lencemark »

I like to read fact more than faction....