Worst book you ever bothered to finish?

A place to chat about what you are reading. Whether it is book, magazine or eBook. Also, audio books.
J.D.
Rat

Worst book you ever bothered to finish?

Post by J.D. »

For me it was "The Da Vinci Code". I don't know how I managed to do it (probably forced to by my ex). A-Grade schlock.
сначала мы убиваем американского лося и белку.

"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell.

Proudly never a mod or admin at RSC from 2001 - 2009.
c.j
Midget Wanker

Re: Worst book you ever bothered to finish?

Post by c.j »

But Why? a childrens book my daughter loves and I cannot read anymore.
Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561198089849481]Image[/url]

;)
macca
Founder
Founder

Post by macca »

J.D. wrote:For me it was "The Da Vinci Code". I don't know how I managed to do it (probably forced to by my ex). A-Grade schlock.
Agree with that, I only finished it because I had put in time to get halfway, think I started to skim. Poorly written book, it's amazing the hype it generated, but given the subject & the use of other peoples research Dan Brown certainly did well. There are a few others but I've wiped them from my memory, all those hours I'll never get back :D
I don't know where I'm going but I'm on my way!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/zedmacca/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NeilPearson
Prize Winning ARSE

Post by NeilPearson »

Otherland by Tad williams.

Not only did i struggle with the first one, there are 4. I just wanted to see how it ended but OH MY GOD it was so... boring.

Its actually a great series it just needs to be condensed into 1 book. not 4 massive 1200 page books.
J.D.
Rat

Post by J.D. »

c.j wrote:But Why?
Why did I finish it or why is it A-Grade schlock?

I finished it because my ex gave it to me (now you know why that didn't last).

I thought it was A-Grade schlock because it was contrived, ponderous, predictable and in case I didn't mention it before, contrived. The author had no understanding of anything concerning British people or their speech patterns. He struggled with the French. The device thingy was a contrivance but so were the so-called "plot twists". It was all designed. Every chapter ends with a minor cliff-hanger. If you have to do that to your reader to keep them interested then your book is bullshit.

"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell.

Pinger$

Post by Pinger$ »

Err, c.j. is referring to a book titled "But Why?". :)

Daughter of the Empire - Janny Wurts. I got given this trilogy as a present... omg... This happened and then this happened and then this happened and then this happened. Writing style just didn't grab me.
Luigi only likes Ferraris.
durbster
The Whack Wasp Warrior

Post by durbster »

Funny you should say that about the Da Vinci code JD. Hype aside, you're not the first person to suggest Dan Brown's grasp of English is tenuous. A good storyteller but an awful writer. I don't think I'll bother :)
Robbo

Post by Robbo »

Contact - Carl Sagan.
J.D.
Rat

Post by J.D. »

Pinger$ wrote:Err, c.j. is referring to a book titled "But Why?". :)
Oh...
durbster wrote:Funny you should say that about the Da Vinci code JD. Hype aside, you're not the first person to suggest Dan Brown's grasp of English is tenuous. A good storyteller but an awful writer. I don't think I'll bother :)
The hype will probably put you off straight away anyway. What's worse, you will notice he just doesn't get poms. Personally, I don't think much of him as a writer at any level, including storyteller.

Nigel
Stupid Retard
Stupid Retard

Post by Nigel »

A mills & boon novel, and I use the word "novel" in its loosest form. I had to read it for uni one year. In fact I had to read two of them but only managed one. The object was to get an understanding of the construction of them and how they are seen within the pubic sphere. By god they are crap and quite disturbing. The one I read was pretty much a rape fantasy and the other one was going down the same path.
Flickr Gallery
Fourth Photography
"There is nothing funny about a clown in the moonlight." - Lon Chaney, Sr.
stiffanbond

Post by stiffanbond »

The worst book i read was moby dick. So i changed its name to moby duck when i talk about it because reading that was like looking at a duck for hours without moving.