How do these people get published

A place to chat about what you are reading. Whether it is book, magazine or eBook. Also, audio books.
Nigel
Stupid Retard
Stupid Retard

How do these people get published

Post by Nigel »

Ok so its an advotoraial for a book in the paper, but sweet Jesus what a load of shit. James and Moore apparently know all there is to know about you and your coffee.
http://www.theage.com.au/news/entertain ... 62658.html
Flickr Gallery
Fourth Photography
"There is nothing funny about a clown in the moonlight." - Lon Chaney, Sr.
norbs
fucking right wing vegan lesbian

Re: How do these people get published

Post by norbs »

Nigel wrote:Ok so its an advotoraial for a book in the paper, but sweet Jesus what a load of shit. James and Moore apparently know all there is to know about you and your coffee.
http://www.theage.com.au/news/entertain ... 62658.html
No different to reading tea leaves, or people who believe in star signs and shizzle like that Nige.

Reminds me of this.

http://oddee.com/item_96479.aspx

:)
Sarc ; my second favourite type of gasm.
Nigel
Stupid Retard
Stupid Retard

Post by Nigel »

The people who would buy that load of crap would be the same people who would ring (SMS) names to thoughs SMS lines to find out if their lover is the perfect match by name alone. I just can not fathom how people can be taken in by that sort of clap trap.
Flickr Gallery
Fourth Photography
J.D.
Rat

Post by J.D. »

Easy: they tell people what they want to hear. Remember Nige: the vast majority of readers of that sort of shit ("Lifestyle") are women who want to be told that fate has decreed that a handsome banker is about to walk into their lives. You can sell them any kind of rubbish.

That's why horoscopes have survived so long.
сначала мы убиваем американского лося и белку.

"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell.

Proudly never a mod or admin at RSC from 2001 - 2009.
pogo

Post by pogo »

Nigel wrote:The people who would buy that load of crap would be the same people who would ring (SMS) names to thoughs SMS lines to find out if their lover is the perfect match by name alone. I just can not fathom how people can be taken in by that sort of clap trap.
I don't believe that their demographic extends beyond giggly teenage girls.... I mean, surely!
J.D.
Rat

Post by J.D. »

I think you might be surprised how dumb some people are.

I have had what I call "The Fate Lecture" from women in their 30s who are convinced that if they think something "is meant to be" then it must happen, irrespective of what the other person wants!! Hell, I had this woman - having just been dumped by her new boyfriend - crying all this nonsense at me before she unleashed "Doesn't he realise it's meant to be?". Most of them have seen waaaaaay too many Meg Ryan movies.

These people list as their favourite moves "Love Actually", "Only You" and "Notting Hill". When notions of romance exceed reality then you can sell them a pink elephant. That's how nutty modern women can be and when the old body clock starts ticking...

"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell.

Nigel
Stupid Retard
Stupid Retard

Post by Nigel »

Given that I tend to be around academia most of the time, I usually hold out hope that people by and large are not all Forest Gump's. But sometimes, I am startled by the fact that there must be far far more morons out there than I have ever really thought of before.
Flickr Gallery
Fourth Photography
norbs

Post by norbs »

Nigel wrote:Given that I tend to be around academia most of the time, I usually hold out hope that people by and large are not all Forest Gump's. But sometimes, I am startled by the fact that there must be far far more morons out there than I have ever really thought of before.
There are other people who think academics are dumb as dog shit Nige. I know you know a lot of trivia, but I know an academic who knows his field probably as well as anyone, but outside of that, he is bloody hopeless.

I suppose it comes down to what dumb really is.
Nigel
Stupid Retard
Stupid Retard

Post by Nigel »

Hey I am ususally advocating the idea that people are more intelligent than others hightlight. I just get suprised that there are so many people there who apparently lack grey matter.
Flickr Gallery
Fourth Photography
norbs

Post by norbs »

Nigel wrote:Hey I am ususally advocating the idea that people are more intelligent than others hightlight. I just get suprised that there are so many people there who apparently lack grey matter.

That's my whole point Nige. What defines "lacking grey matter"? A work colleague told me I was "fucking useless when it comes to computer systems" this morning. I don't agree, but because I have a mental blank with any type of SAP system, that makes me what he probably considers dumb. Funnily enough, he rang back an hour later to ask me how to set up a Linux firewall.

You probably think I am dumb for the lack of camera knowledge I have. I don't understand stops of light and loads of shit like that. You and Dex could crucify me. But I wouldn't say I was dumb.

A lot of people were probably surprised at your question about the back room. A maths professor might think you were dumb for asking that.

See what I mean, peoples perception of what dumb is is different.
macca
Founder
Founder

Post by macca »

Nigel wrote:Hey I am ususally advocating the idea that people are more intelligent than others hightlight. I just get suprised that there are so many people there who apparently lack grey matter.

To be honest Nige I reckon you are leading with your chin with that statement :D
I don't know where I'm going but I'm on my way!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/zedmacca/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Nigel
Stupid Retard
Stupid Retard

Post by Nigel »

I did highlight that with "Stupid Nigel Question" though. I knew I was lacking knowledge when I asked it.
Flickr Gallery
Fourth Photography
Rots
DiscoStu
DiscoStu

Post by Rots »

When will they add Twilight to that list??

:D
J.D.
Rat

Post by J.D. »

norbs wrote:I suppose it comes down to what dumb really is.
People don't like being challenged norbs. They have their comfortable world view and that's that a lot of the time. Ask them to think beyond basic polemics and they find it difficult, not because they're fundamentally stupid but because it requires them to do some work they may be disinclined to do.

You can give people all the information in the world but it's wasted if they don't actually want to absorb it.