New Scientist

A place to chat about what you are reading. Whether it is book, magazine or eBook. Also, audio books.
Johnny X
Clean as a Whistle
Clean as a Whistle

New Scientist

Post by Johnny X »

Recently got back into reading New Scientist after doing some fishing. Used to read this a lot when I first started work at a paper making research unit many years ago.

Latest issue has some interesting subjects including plants doing quantum computing, communicating with people in a coma or vegetative state (made the news recently), a "telescope" to catch bots on the net, how earth got it's oxygen and the secrets of..... water.

V interesting :yes:
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Re: New Scientist

Post by ysu »

sounds interesting indeed - is it paper only?
Surprise, no sig. Now there is. Or is there?
wobblysauce
Seen it, Done it, Invented it!

Post by wobblysauce »

johnny, it is a good read

nope ysu, http://www.newscientist.com/
Some play it safe on the merry-go-round, others go for the thrills of the roller-coaster.

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ vs ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

I have a joke for you. I have a prediction that you are going to walk into a bar, my prediction was wrong and your wallet is gone.
Johnny X
Clean as a Whistle
Clean as a Whistle

Post by Johnny X »

You can subscribe at the New Scientist site http://www.newscientist.com/ in which case you'll get a copy of the weekly mag in print form and access to the whole of the on-line articles. As I said, I went fishing and happened across the latest issue in PDF form. I'll prolly look around again next week ;)

Oops, ninjad by Mr Wobbles :D
wobblysauce
Seen it, Done it, Invented it!

Post by wobblysauce »

hehe.. also they were talking about doing a podcast also but I don't know if that is still running

some other interesting podcasts
from Aus : The Science Show with Robin Williams, Dr.Karl on Triple J / Dr.Karl Great Moments in Science
from UK : The Naked Scientists

and I don't like the Scientific American
Some play it safe on the merry-go-round, others go for the thrills of the roller-coaster.

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ vs ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

I have a joke for you. I have a prediction that you are going to walk into a bar, my prediction was wrong and your wallet is gone.
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

thanks, I'll look around!
Johnny X
Clean as a Whistle
Clean as a Whistle

Post by Johnny X »

Some more interesting topics this week, including massive supernovae that shouldn't exist, the possibility of life on Mars, and a gene responsible for Alzhiemers but also responsible for intelligence :eek:
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

Johnny X wrote:Some more interesting topics this week, including massive supernovae that shouldn't exist, the possibility of life on Mars, and a gene responsible for Alzhiemers but also responsible for intelligence :eek:
yep :up: