Milligan's War - Spike Milligan.

A place to chat about what you are reading. Whether it is book, magazine or eBook. Also, audio books.
J.D.
Rat

Milligan's War - Spike Milligan.

Post by J.D. »

Few people could claim to have turned comedy into an art form. Spike Milligan did.

Milligan's War is a compendium of his memoirs of WWII from avoiding recruitment to the mud of Italy. While his humour was often very hit or miss, the times when he got it right was usually a direct hit on your laughing gear and several times I have found myself cackling out aloud in a public place. Not that I have a problem with that, mind you.

Yeah, it's old but it's still funny. Rest in peace Spike. We knew you were sick.

It's written on your tombstone.
сначала мы убиваем американского лося и белку.

"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell.

Proudly never a mod or admin at RSC from 2001 - 2009.
norbs
fucking right wing vegan lesbian

Re: Milligan's War - Spike Milligan.

Post by norbs »

J.D. wrote:Few people could claim to have turned comedy into an art form. Spike Milligan did.

Milligan's War is a compendium of his memoirs of WWII from avoiding recruitment to the mud of Italy. While his humour was often very hit or miss, the times when he got it right was usually a direct hit on your laughing gear and several times I have found myself cackling out aloud in a public place. Not that I have a problem with that, mind you.

Yeah, it's old but it's still funny. Rest in peace Spike. We knew you were sick.

It's written on your tombstone.

I have it on audio books that I listened to years ago. Very very good. Read by Spike himself.
Sarc ; my second favourite type of gasm.
durbster
The Whack Wasp Warrior

Post by durbster »

I read these last year and really enjoyed them. Was there ever a man more unsuitable for war? :)

The humour is relentless, only stopping for the odd harrowing moment that you can tell genuinely messed his mind up.
mrleisure

Post by mrleisure »

I've got a box set of his war writings somewhere , I just went looking for it but can't seem to find it , it was givin to me as a gift probably twenty odd years ago , really funny stuff . I'm a big Spike fan as you could probably tell by my avatar . Dam it I'll worry untill i find those books now :rolleyes: .
"There is a grey blur and green blur . I try to stay on the grey one...." Joey Dunlop IoM TT Legend

"You work for the line.. you own the line .. you defend that hard fought line." Steer
J.D.
Rat

Post by J.D. »

norbs wrote:I have it on audio books that I listened to years ago. Very very good. Read by Spike himself.
I'd love to have that. I'm sure it can be found easily enough. I'll have to look around for it.

You can probably guess, I'm a big Milligan fan.

"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell.

Cutter
Legend in his own lunchtime
Legend in his own lunchtime

Post by Cutter »

Same.
When I was 15 I got "Adolph Hilter, my part in his downfall" for Xmas, another book from him almost every Xmas after.
Became a big Goons fan after, I'd love a link to the Audiobooks.
A few years ago, when Spike was getting on, we went to Woy Woy, just left a thank you note in his letterbox.
Cutter ~ Carl Rickard

J.D.
Rat

Post by J.D. »

Cutter wrote:A few years ago, when Spike was getting on, we went to Woy Woy, just left a thank you note in his letterbox.
Nice.

norbs
fucking right wing vegan lesbian

Post by norbs »

J.D. wrote:
norbs wrote:I have it on audio books that I listened to years ago. Very very good. Read by Spike himself.
I'd love to have that. I'm sure it can be found easily enough. I'll have to look around for it.

You can probably guess, I'm a big Milligan fan.
It can be organised easy enough. Just give me the odd reminder. :)
Sarc ; my second favourite type of gasm.
mrleisure

Post by mrleisure »

[youtube] [/youtube]
"There is a grey blur and green blur . I try to stay on the grey one...." Joey Dunlop IoM TT Legend

"You work for the line.. you own the line .. you defend that hard fought line." Steer
J.D.
Rat

Post by J.D. »

Brilliant. I was near wetting myself watching that! Thanks.