A place to chat about what you are reading. Whether it is book, magazine or eBook. Also, audio books.
norbs
fucking right wing vegan lesbian

Post by norbs »

So, who has read it? Did you enjoy it?

I started it again last night on the Kindle. I am pretty sure we studied it in Year 10 or 11 at school. Probably Year 11 as that was actually 1984 for me. I couldn't get through it at school, and after reading about 30 pages last night, it is going to be a slog this time. Fuck me it is a bleak old yarn.
Sarc ; my second favourite type of gasm.
Exar Kun
Sensible Mick

Re: 1984

Post by Exar Kun »

I never read it at school which is good. It allowed me to just read it at my own pace without having to over analyse everything. I finally did get around to reading it probably ten years or so ago now and I really enjoyed it. The newspeak aspect was excellent and whilst it isn't exactly uplifting, I found it to be a bit of a page turner. For me it was just another novel really. Enjoyable but mostly forgotten by the time I got stuck into my next book.
"If we can hit that bull's-eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!"
Jiminee

Post by Jiminee »

Guaranteed way to ruin any book - study it at school!
Even now I have a small part of my brain working away at storing information for possible essay questions whilst reading! Fucking hate it and cant switch it off.
Why did the author....What was the signifgance of.....What was the author thinking when.....FUCK KNOWS! Probably what was he going to have for dinner or how to make this fucking book into some fucking money!
Would seriously love for the author of one of those books to come out and say that and to tell everyone to piss off and stop over analysing it. It was just a story, simple as that, Point A to Point B.
Do any of these guys really sit there and think of how to weave all these different levels of story and pretense into their work?
XLV SPORT
Johnny X
Clean as a Whistle
Clean as a Whistle

Post by Johnny X »

Funnily enough, I am just about to start 1984 on an audiobook. I've had it a while but never got round to it. It was referenced in the last book I read (Arthur C Clarke and Frederick Pohl - The Last Theorem) so I thought it was time I gave it a shot. Not entirely sure what to expect, just going to have to wait and see I guess :eyepop:
J.D.
Rat

Post by J.D. »

Jiminee wrote:Why did the author....What was the signifgance of.....What was the author thinking when.....FUCK KNOWS! Probably what was he going to have for dinner or how to make this fucking book into some fucking money!
Would seriously love for the author of one of those books to come out and say that and to tell everyone to piss off and stop over analysing it. It was just a story, simple as that, Point A to Point B.
Well, what would Animal Farm be about then? It sure isn't about a bunch of animals on some random farm in the middle of nowhere...

Orwell actually said why he wrote it.

That said, I know not why he wrote 1984. I've read a lot of Orwell but haven't read that one.
сначала мы убиваем американского лося и белку.

"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell.

Proudly never a mod or admin at RSC from 2001 - 2009.
Jiminee

Post by Jiminee »

That one is pretty obvious, not much interpretation required.
I just have horrible memories of activities like that. Maybe my mind is just to logical to be able to do work like that.
XLV SPORT
wobblysauce
Seen it, Done it, Invented it!

Post by wobblysauce »

A way to pass the time.. can't think it was that memorable.

Who is the reader on the Audible version?
Some play it safe on the merry-go-round, others go for the thrills of the roller-coaster.

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ vs ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

I have a joke for you. I have a prediction that you are going to walk into a bar, my prediction was wrong and your wallet is gone.
Johnny X
Clean as a Whistle
Clean as a Whistle

Post by Johnny X »

wobblysauce wrote: Who is the reader on the Audible version?
The one I have is read by Simon Prebble. I've done about an hour of it so far but now have an ePub of the book which I'll be reading.. I get more out of it by actually reading rather than listening. It's going to have to wait though as I am currently doing Brian Cox's latest - The Quantum Universe, which is totally frying my brain :melt: