Android Apps

All the talk regarding mobile phones, mobile internet access etc etc.
dvestate
Prize Winning ARSE

Re: Android Apps

Post by dvestate »

So much hate.......

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

dvestate wrote:So much hate.......

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
Nope not from me just frustration... part of it my own doing I know but not all of it.

I actually like many aspects of the Sony Xperia Z but still coming to terms with just how disparate & different the two OS's are.
Dukester

norbs diplomacy lesson 101: "If I was putting words in your mouth, you'd know."
Exar Kun
Sensible Mick

Post by Exar Kun »

Flinty72 wrote: Oh year, thanks Exar I had forgotten about those setting widgets which I deleted of my desktop a while ago. :(
by the way is that an Xperia Z?
If so the widgets look different to the ones I have?
It's an HTC One XL. To go further with the different OSs thing I mentioned - I actually find it difficult to navigate around different android phones. I've only owned HTC so that's the one I know.
"If we can hit that bull's-eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!"
NeilPearson
Prize Winning ARSE

Post by NeilPearson »

I have only ever used a Samsung Galaxy Series Android Phone, until I started my current job and got a HTC Velocity 4G and its so backwards in what I am used to. I get very frustrated with it. Thankfully its not my personal phone, and I have call forwarded it my phone.
pixelboy

Post by pixelboy »

norbs wrote:
The guy over the road got one on the weekend.....

And is running Weatherzone.
Good to see he's got his priorities right :-)
eek
pixelboy

Post by pixelboy »

Hi Guys,

We are ready to do some beta testing on some new features we plan to roll out to Weatherzone Plus in spring and Im keen for some of you guys to have a look and get your feedback if you are interested.

The beta test will be run through the play store and you will be able to roll back to the current production version at anytime.

Whats changed in this build?
- New Navigation system - like the new Play Music navigation drawer
- Radar is now shown on Google Maps allowing a seamless view of Australian rain radar
- New content including Weather News

Whats not changed yet but will over the next few months?
- Look n feel update
- Notifications
- New Widget
- More new content...

If you are an owner of Weatherzone Plus and are keen to help please email me at tbaker@weatherzone.com.au and let me know the email address you use to log into your Google Play account.

I will then send you an invite and we will go from there.

Thanks
eek
Sarsippius

Post by Sarsippius »

Flinty mate I think you're just trying too hard, I don't believe android is any more difficult to use than ios, it's just different. Your getting worked up over the GPS and the solution is so bloody simple once you know how. Keep at it mate you'll get there :)
KNAPPO
Master artist
Master artist

Post by KNAPPO »

Just downloaded the new gallery app apk so I can use the vanilla camera app and give these photospheres a whirl on the GS4.
Life is hard...but, life is harder when you're dumb.
Totally_Not_w00dsy

Post by Totally_Not_w00dsy »

Textra is a great sms replacement app.
KNAPPO
Master artist
Master artist

Post by KNAPPO »

Just bought a pack of 5 NFC tags for around home, car and at work. At $1.60 each I thought why not have a play with the NFC chip in my phone, they should arrive Friday. :)

Going to use this app for programming them. NFC Task Launcher
Anyone at ARSE played with NFC tags before and can recommend an app for programming them? The only reason I am using this one is it was recommended by the seller.
Life is hard...but, life is harder when you're dumb.
Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

So I'm finally starting to get used to my Android Xperia Phone but it still shits me on some aspects. :p
Anyway I would like to thank many of you for posting your fav apps here some of which I use now.
My favourites being;
Airborne (W/less mouse that uses the Logitech Touch Mouse Server)
AirDroid (thanks norbs)
AquaMail (The only mail client I could find that would scale 95% of messages to the screen size)
Box (Online storage like Dropbox, again tks norbs)
Dolphin Browser
Double Twist & all its plug-ins (tks Wabbit)
F1 Countdown (Widget for F1 calendar)
goMoney (ANZ Online Banking)
ING Direct AUS (same as above)
LiveATC (listen to World wide live Air Traffic Control)
Metlink & metroNotify (Melb Public Transport Apps)
MX Player Pro (To stream video content to phone from XBMC using Yatse remote)
My Usage (ISP Usage & other common pay your way & reward programs)
Pandora (Totally free Streaming Music, better than the others imho)
Pocket Weather (sorry Pix)
Strava (well of course)
SwiftKey (Smart prediction keyboard but can be frustrating at times)
Tapatalk (so I can visit here on the run)
TeamViewer (remote desktop PC controller)
Textra (tried some others but after finding this & considering it's Telstra's I didn't need to look for any other SMS apps)
VicTraffic (VicRoads supported app for road incidents & travel time information)
WordPress (used as my RSS feeder, consolidating all my favourite blogs etc)
Yatse & it's plug-ins (Best XBMC remote full-stop)
Zite (Tailored Newsreader)
Dukester

Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

Keeping this separate to my post above, so I have discovered that since I have corporate mail on the Xperia it means the lockscreen has to be active & can not be switched off. Worse still is that it has to be a passcode lockscreen so swipe-lock is not selectable in the settings at all, it's dimmed out.
From what I can tell this has been partly to blame for my frustration as to why some apps don't seem to work so well. Basically any app that needs to have the screen unlocked or unlocks the screen as part of its functionality to operate (alarms etc) can't do so. Due to what I believe are high administrator settings with having corporate mail active.
So I am interested to hear if anyone else here has Corporate Mail on their Android phone & if they have experienced anything similar?

Also I find that playing any media with any type / manufacturer headphones that the volume is quite low. The volume of phone calls on the headphones is fine. I have heard this may be the case with many of the new release smartphones &/or handsets with Android JellyBean. Anyone else experience this?
I did find some apps that found a way to boost / increase the volume by activating some back door hidden code but it seems they only work on previous versions of the Android OS & not JellyBean. Most also required a rooted handset which for me is not an option, did I mention I have corporate mail...
Again any ideas or comments on this would be appreciated. :yes:
Dukester

dvestate
Prize Winning ARSE

Post by dvestate »

Flinty72 wrote: From what I can tell this has been partly to blame for my frustration as to why some apps don't seem to work so well. Basically any app that needs to have the screen unlocked or unlocks the screen as part of its functionality to operate (alarms etc) can't do so. Due to what I believe are high administrator settings with having corporate mail active.
I would assume being a Corporate device there is a policy set that removes your ability to access or control some aspects of the device, we have this on the Corporate iPhone's and Blackberry's. Seeing that I sit a few cubical's away from the people that control the devices I got them to put my profile into the unrestricted group and I could do whatever I liked from that point on :)

So if you get on well with the Admin's ask them about the issues and maybe they can hook you up
w00dsy
The Senna of Hoppers Crossing

Post by w00dsy »

Flinty72 wrote: Textra (tried some others but after finding this & considering it's Telstra's I didn't need to look for any other SMS apps)

Telstras?
Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

w00dsy wrote:
Flinty72 wrote: Textra (tried some others but after finding this & considering it's Telstra's I didn't need to look for any other SMS apps)

Telstras?
hahahaha, gessus what was I on last night.
Sorry I somehow thought this was one of the Telstra Featured apps, clearly it is not. :rolleyes:
Dukester

w00dsy

Post by w00dsy »

i wasn't sure if it was an auto correct or not. The guy that made Textra also did the Chomp sms app, which is ok but not nearly as good. I really like Textra, it feels nice and has an ever expanding bunch of good options like being able to set individual notifications and bubble colors for each person(long press on a convo). It's getting updates quite often too as it's in early stages of development. I did use Go Sms but it got so bloated with features that it became shit. I must admit the standard HTC One sms app was pretty bloody good, but Textra has a few features which swayed me back to using it after ditching the S2.
w00dsy

Post by w00dsy »

i'll add another one, Mighty Text. It's similar to Airdroidbut mainly focussed on messaging. https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... .sms&hl=en" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

actually another good one, Pushbullet. For sending links and files etc to your phone from your pc. https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... roid&hl=en" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
norbs
fucking right wing vegan lesbian

Post by norbs »

pixelboy wrote:Hi Guys,

We are ready to do some beta testing on some new features we plan to roll out to Weatherzone Plus in spring and Im keen for some of you guys to have a look and get your feedback if you are interested.

The beta test will be run through the play store and you will be able to roll back to the current production version at anytime.

Whats changed in this build?
- New Navigation system - like the new Play Music navigation drawer
- Radar is now shown on Google Maps allowing a seamless view of Australian rain radar
- New content including Weather News

Whats not changed yet but will over the next few months?
- Look n feel update
- Notifications
- New Widget
- More new content...

If you are an owner of Weatherzone Plus and are keen to help please email me at tbaker@weatherzone.com.au and let me know the email address you use to log into your Google Play account.

I will then send you an invite and we will go from there.

Thanks
Hey Pix.

Loving the beta of weatherzone, but just wondering if it is a battery hog?

Considering there is 2h 19m of display time, but Weatherzone was reporting more than that. I forgot to get a screenshot of the Weatherzone details.

Not complaining, just curious.
Sarc ; my second favourite type of gasm.
pixelboy

Post by pixelboy »

That's something we should look at.
Do you have widgets?
How many widgets?
eek
pixelboy

Post by pixelboy »

Actually, can you send me an email with that screenshot and any other info you think is relevant.. How often you use the app.. The widgets you use.. Etc
eek
norbs
fucking right wing vegan lesbian

Post by norbs »

pixelboy wrote:Actually, can you send me an email with that screenshot and any other info you think is relevant.. How often you use the app.. The widgets you use.. Etc
Yeah. I will try and put it together over the next few days. When the battery is getting low again.
Sarc ; my second favourite type of gasm.
w00dsy

Post by w00dsy »

Textra had yet another update with a cool feature. If you have mobile data off to save battery life it will turn it on briefly to send or recieve mms messages as needed.
SE1Z

Post by SE1Z »

Textra wont send phone pics as (I think) they are too large for my carrier to send.
Is there an option to automatically re-size them?

Chomp SMS re-sizes them prior to sending...
Steve
---
w00dsy

Post by w00dsy »

did you try changing the file size limit from within the mms setting part?
SE1Z

Post by SE1Z »

w00dsy wrote:did you try changing the file size limit from within the mms setting part?
Yup!
Tried 2mb, 1mb and No Limit.
No go.

APN settings look right.
hmmm

*edit*
can receive MMS....

*edit2*
set to 600k it seems to work.

Crisis averted, everything is super! :aussie:
Steve
---