Android: Rooting and custom Roms

All the talk regarding mobile phones, mobile internet access etc etc.
Shonky

Re: Android: Rooting and custom Roms

Post by Shonky »

Did you put in the optional PIT file when flashing that latest ICS Rom? If you did, you will probably need to go back to a stock as a rock Rom that has a PIT file to flash as part of it. Another thing is wiping the Dalvik cache under advanced in CWM recovery, I dont' believe this is the same thing as a wipe cache in the main menu of cwm recovery, doing this has recovered my phone from a boot loop before when factory wipe and a cache wipe yeilded no change.
NeilPearson
Prize Winning ARSE

Post by NeilPearson »

I installed this http://www.dialandroid.com/2011/09/inst ... i3-on.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; then rooted it from the chainfire xi3 root kernel.

It does come with a PIT i used it a few times. pretty sure i used it on a cm7 and had it bootloop. ill give it another go as I can't recall 100% if I did it or not

I do the davlick cache aswell. i read today that the fix permissions can help. So I'll try that to
NeilPearson
Prize Winning ARSE

Post by NeilPearson »

Yep i give up on cm7 now.

Installed Gingerbread 2.3.5 stock KI3
Installed Gingerbread 2.3.6 stock KL1
Rooted.

booted into clockwork recovery

Factory reset
Wipe cache
wipe dalvik cache
fix permissions

Install CM7.zip

Wipe cache
fix permissions
wipe dalvik
factory reset.

rebooted phone - boot loop, cant get into recovery now (couldnt do it on previous boot loops either).

I dont get why It boot loops. i have installed it twice before. the only difference was ICS.
NeilPearson
Prize Winning ARSE

Post by NeilPearson »

FUCKING FINNALLLLLLYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

I got it, i been searching the CM forums for the last few days and finally found a thread with a solution. had to install the cm7 in Clockwork recovery, then boot into download mode and install a custom kernal (http://www.gokhanmoral.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)

When it first booted up it got stuck on the CM7 intro movie, but i just booted into the Recovery manager and wiped everything and NOW i have cm7 back. FUCKING YAY.

Now looking at it i remember how long it took me to customize. Doh.
Shonky

Post by Shonky »

Yay, good to hear you got it working again Neil, was about to post saying I was all out of ideas and that I saw your post on the CM forums and good luck with it, guess I don't need to now......even though I just sorta did. :D
w00dsy
The Senna of Hoppers Crossing

Post by w00dsy »

the guy that did one of the better roms(Lite'ning ROM) vanished from the xda forums, and has now resurfaced with his own forums and a new ICS rom. I tried it with a non wipe installation and had a bit of an issue, so i wiped and started fresh and now it's running like a dream. And the battery life seems better than any 2.3.5 rom i tried.

http://z13.invisionfree.com/Litening/in ... howtopic=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

r8response
Cry baby
Cry baby

Post by r8response »

Good find w00dsy. Took longer to download than to flash the rom :D

Edit: Here is a link that is alot faster than the two from the OP.. http://glasvezel.zapto.org/Litening_Rom_v1.0b.rar" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Shonky

Post by Shonky »

Cheers for that woodsy, good to see LitePro is still at it.
Shonky

Post by Shonky »

I'm liking this new Litening rom, seems pretty snappy, time will tell if it's going to stay, if the battery life is good it probably will.
Shaun

Post by Shaun »

Cheers guys going to give it a shot. With the wipe do i lose contacts and apps or what? ive backed my contacts up to my gmail account
Hello :aussie:
Shonky

Post by Shonky »

Was a piece of cake for me, backed up sms's in GoSms, flashed the rom, did a wipe/factory reset in CWM, booted the phone, stuck in the gmail account I use with my phone and let it restore all the contacts and apps, restored my sms's, and reconfigured all my apps, from start to finish maybe 45 minutes.
Shaun

Post by Shaun »

think im going to have to do a wipe, its just hanging on the SGS2 screen, how do you wipe in CWM?
w00dsy

Post by w00dsy »

was it doing a boot loop at the screen with the yellow triangle? Or did it get to the next screen, because first boot can take quite a few minutes to sort itself out if it got to the second screen. Otherwise boot into CWM holding down Home+Power+Volume up until it goes into recovery mode, then select factory reset. Then reboot into download mode by holding down Home+Power+Volume Down and flash again using Odin. I use Titanium backup and a full wipe and restore takes about 20mins.
Shaun

Post by Shaun »

have done it all now, lost my texts no big deal lol. just one query, i have the software update thing coming up in the top bar, do i hvae to do it or can i get rid of it and if so how? lol
r8response
Cry baby
Cry baby

Post by r8response »

Shaun wrote:have done it all now, lost my texts no big deal lol. just one query, i have the software update thing coming up in the top bar, do i hvae to do it or can i get rid of it and if so how? lol

Just do it.
Shonky

Post by Shonky »

I did the update it said no updates available, haven't seen it again since.
w00dsy

Post by w00dsy »

same.
Shaun

Post by Shaun »

yep all gone now, just gotta get onto the misses' wifi and get my apps again lol. hopefully this rom is good
Bauer

Post by Bauer »

Well after a nervous start I had my first root today. Took longer than expected but no doubt it would be quicker next time now I know the order of things and what I have to do to get ready for it.
--------------
Stu
w00dsy

Post by w00dsy »

i thought you had an iPhone and iPad?
Bauer

Post by Bauer »

I went to a Galaxy after my iPhone went through a rinse cycle in August last year. Still have the iPad :up:

Still cant receive MMS either. Apparently there is something wrong with my phone number and their system.
--------------
Stu
Shonky

Post by Shonky »

I'm digging the new ICS task manager, can select the app you want with a little screen shot, and if you don't want the app running in the background, flick it to the left and it will close it.
Bauer wrote:Still cant receive MMS either. Apparently there is something wrong with my phone number and their system.
Whats the MMS problem you got Bauer, I had a problem in that I couldn't receieve MMS from folks on Optus with my phone being on Telstra, after jumping through their hoops (wasn't actually that hard, 2 phone calls) it was escalated to a level 3 tech at Telstra, a few days later I got a bunch of MMS's from different carriers testing what worked, and what didn't. After they had determined which carriers had problems I guess they contacted them and got it sorted, been fine ever since.
Bauer

Post by Bauer »

Still dont know. Im with Optus and it has been escalated but no response. I must chase it up.

I am not receiving MMS from anyone at all. After a couple of calls I was asked to take it to the Optus store to try a different phone.

My phone gets MMS with a different sim card
My sim card wouldnt get MMS in her phone. She set up a new sim card but still no change so it must be my account setup or something.

Someone said - and it might have been Raz - that they had problems with their number and it was ported from Telstra just like mine.

As I said, I must follow it up. It isnt going to fix itself magically.
--------------
Stu
Shonky

Post by Shonky »

Is anyone getting random stalls with the new litening rom? I've had a few occasions where it locks for up to 10 seconds, and it will buffer all the inputs while the lock is occurring and then perform all the buffered commands in rapid succession to catch up once the lock clears?
w00dsy

Post by w00dsy »

I did before i resorted to a clean install, and now its fine.