Android: Rooting and custom Roms

All the talk regarding mobile phones, mobile internet access etc etc.
NeilPearson
Prize Winning ARSE

Android: Rooting and custom Roms

Post by NeilPearson »

Whats the advantages of rooting these phones? I assume i can install custom roms, but that comes back to how do i know a custom rom is better than what comes standard? and does it void warrenty etc?

Anywhere i can get some decent info from, been browsing here http://forum.xda-developers.com/forumdisplay.php?f=1055" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; but havent looked deeply yet...

Thanks!
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Re: Android: Rooting and custom Roms

Post by DexterPunk »

I found a pic to post, but it's just way too NSFW.
nutty
Spam King
Spam King

Post by nutty »

Android Police (my main android site by the way) has a good writeup on it
http://www.androidpolice.com/2010/04/15 ... oid-phone/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I love custom roms, ive tried a heap, and with titanium backup + clockwork mod its piss easy to backup your phone.
I use Miui, While it does kinda give the phone a "iphone" feel, it ads heaps of things I like about iOS, but with all the stuff I like about Android.
http://www.miui.us/forums/content.php?8 ... -this-week" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
pixelboy

Post by pixelboy »

Yeah me too, i rarely go a month without changing roms.. But I have to disagree with Nut's... Miui blows.. cyanagen mod for me most of the time :)

Rooting also allows you to run certain apps that need access to parts of the phone the system doesnt allow usually.. Your on the right track at XDA, its got everything you'll need.

If it was me on a SGS2 id wait a month until the nerds work out better ways to root etc..
eek
KNAPPO
Master artist
Master artist

Post by KNAPPO »

pixelboy wrote:id wait a month until the nerds work out better ways to root
:rofl:
That just sounds funny.
Life is hard...but, life is harder when you're dumb.
norbs
fucking right wing vegan lesbian

Post by norbs »

KNAPPO wrote:
pixelboy wrote:id wait a month until the nerds work out better ways to root
:rofl:
That just sounds funny.
+1

I am loving the way it syncs contacts details. I have been doing a big tidy up in GMails contacts and it all happens on the phone like fucking magic!

Will do what Pix suggests and wait a while before I root it. I hardly know it now. :D
Sarc ; my second favourite type of gasm.
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

fucking magic? rooting?
what were you guys taking? :)
Surprise, no sig. Now there is. Or is there?
AstrO
Help Desk Expert

Post by AstrO »

norbs wrote:I am loving the way it syncs contacts details. I have been doing a big tidy up in GMails contacts and it all happens on the phone like fucking magic!
+1

I've also setup my 3rd party email accounts in Gmail so that I never have to stuff around with them again when I wipe or upgrade my phone. Everything just comes in when I enter my google details. Have to love that.

PS Google Calendar is also great (Thunderbird > Google Calendar > Android Phone = Win!)
Santaria

Re: Re: Android: Rooting and custom Roms

Post by Santaria »

AstrO wrote:
norbs wrote:I am loving the way it syncs contacts details. I have been doing a big tidy up in GMails contacts and it all happens on the phone like fucking magic!
+1

I've also setup my 3rd party email accounts in Gmail so that I never have to stuff around with them again when I wipe or upgrade my phone. Everything just comes in when I enter my google details. Have to love that.

PS Google Calendar is also great (Thunderbird > Google Calendar > Android Phone = Win!)
Jorte also syncs with google calendar. Best program out there. You can even sync outlook to gmail now with a few simple steps. (don't use it now though).

Cyanogen ROMs are by far the best ones and anything gingerbread. Android has definitely come a long way. My advice for ROMs, especially with the newer galaxy, is go for the ones that are a group effort. I.e. Tytung and Pongster for my HD2. Those types of ROMs are fixed quicker and far more stable.
Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561197999720352]Image[/url]
NeilPearson
Prize Winning ARSE

Post by NeilPearson »

Cheers for the info guys! Ill wait a bit before i use it as a fleshlight. Wait for the nerds as pix says...
NeilPearson
Prize Winning ARSE

Post by NeilPearson »

Cheers for the info guys! Ill wait a bit before i use it as a fleshlight. Wait for the nerds as pix says...
norbs

Post by norbs »

What? ;)
Doso

Post by Doso »

Alot of ex-iphone users who I show this too are simply amazed by this simple feature! (It's incredible the amount of people dumping their iphone 3/3gs for the Galaxy s2 by the way)

Google also do a similar service for Gmail & Calender (calender is especially impressive so that you can view other peoples calender if they give you permission (its good to see what the gf is planning on the weekend and has solved alot of fights "you didn't tell me you were going xyz" "well it's on my calender!!1!11!")

Also google is doing the same thing with pictures and video (via youtube & Picasa via Google+ app) so that as soon as you take a photo/video it is uploaded straight to google+ (obviously there are options like to only upload videos when on wifi)

Google Docs also currently has the same setup with all documents/presentations if you want to try that

And most importantly they are beta testing Google Music, upload your music to the cloud and have it avaliable across all your android devices! including play lists etc currently only avaliable in the US but should be here soon
pixelboy

Post by pixelboy »

Any of you SGS2 lads done the decent thing and rooted your baby yet?

Im going to hang onto the Desire for a bit longer and try to grab a Nexus Prime in the new year!
eek
norbs

Post by norbs »

pixelboy wrote:Any of you SGS2 lads done the decent thing and rooted your baby yet?

Im going to hang onto the Desire for a bit longer and try to grab a Nexus Prime in the new year!
Sweet jesus Pix! :yikes: :D

Like I said before, I will wait for Rod to do his.

I am actually wondering if I will even do it. It has more tricks up its sleeve than the iPhone ever had and I am still finding neat little apps and tricks every day.
Shonky

Post by Shonky »

pixelboy wrote:Any of you SGS2 lads done the decent thing and rooted your baby yet?
Not yet, I keep toying with the idea of flashing a different rom and rooting but I'm struggling to come up with a valid reason to do it, thus far the phone does everything I want and more, at the moment the only reason I can come up with for playing with flashing roms is because I can, which isn't really a good enough reason. :D
Santaria

Post by Santaria »

recently been using Evernote to track/dictate/attach photos to notes. Seriously the best app out for quick note taking etc. Don't know how I lived without it.
Santaria

Post by Santaria »

SHoNKY wrote:
Not yet, I keep toying with the idea of flashing a different rom and rooting but I'm struggling to come up with a valid reason to do it, thus far the phone does everything I want and more, at the moment the only reason I can come up with for playing with flashing roms is because I can, which isn't really a good enough reason. :D
That's how it starts.... and it never stops.
bengatta
Ladies Motorkhana Champion

Post by bengatta »

This thread has got to be a trap??? :scratch:
They say, any day you wake up not dead is the start of a better day than it could be...

You don't need a parachute to skydive, you only need a parachute to skydive twice...

You're never too old to learn something stupid....
r8response
Cry baby
Cry baby

Post by r8response »

SHoNKY wrote:

Supposedly it can improve battery life. But i can't comment on mine yet :p
Sambo
Horse
Horse

Post by Sambo »

I'm lost, is this thread just a whole lot of euphanisms??
pab

Post by pab »

Sambo wrote:I'm lost, is this forum just a whole lot of euphanisms??
Fixed.
PB
Radioactive Race Engineering #16 / Lightning Karts KT100s #61
norbs

Post by norbs »

A mate just got his S2 from telstra and rocked in here and said "norbs, how do I root this thing?" holding up his phone. Certainly got a few looks from the other blokes in the office. They weren't nearly as confused as Rocky was when I said "Fucked if I know!" Apparently, because I showed him how to Jailbreak his old iPhone, I am the oracle of all cellular devices.

We just spent 20 minutes reading about it and he is just as confused now as I was after I first tried to work it out. There is some contradictory stuff on the XDA forums. Not knowing all the terms is driving me mad as well.

Pix, or any of you other mad rooters, got any suggestions? He is driving me nuts.
r8response
Cry baby
Cry baby

Post by r8response »

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthr ... ?t=1125414" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

One button "Root"
norbs

Post by norbs »

Ok. here is the phone info

What kernel do I use? DVKF4 doesn't seem to be there in that list?