Best Android Handset to Buy Now?

All the talk regarding mobile phones, mobile internet access etc etc.
Vilante
Master artist
Master artist

Best Android Handset to Buy Now?

Post by Vilante »

Hi All,

Scouring the nets for the best Android handset to buy at the moment and wondered if anyone had any opinions?

I guess I'm looking at Galaxy S2 or Nexus or the soon to be releases HTC One X.

I don't really need a massive screen as I have an iPad I use quite a bit at home and in meetings etc so thinking the S2 might be enough but the others do look cool :)
NeilPearson
Prize Winning ARSE

Re: Best Android Handset to Buy Now?

Post by NeilPearson »

The Galaxy S3 is rumoured to be in a few months, but there is nothing really concrete about that
Santaria

Post by Santaria »

The Nexus can be had from Kogan for ~$400 at the moment. People from OCAU aren't complaining about it from there. I enjoy my Nexus quite a lot. It's a great fast phone with a decent sized screen. It's even better with updated 4.0.2 on there. Just haven't gotten around to putting 4.0.3 on there as I've had 0 issues.
Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561197999720352]Image[/url]
Vilante
Master artist
Master artist

Post by Vilante »

Thanks guys.

I know Neil, there's the HTC One X in about a month (outright) and the rumours of S3 which would be awesome of course but I have to buy now as it's a work phone. If I use the spare for too long they'll make me keep it haha.

I think the Nexus might be the go, I have to get it through Optarse ($650!) but luckily I'm not paying!
Shonky

Post by Shonky »

I don't think you can go wrong with the sgs2 or the nexus, both have a massive following in the development community and both will have Rom updates for a very long time after their respective manufacturers have moved on.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Tab 7.7 via Tapatalk
pixelboy

Post by pixelboy »

Shonky Is right, both are quality and won't disappoint but I'd go the nexus so you don't get any of the Samsung crap..

I used to install different roms all the time on my old desire but with the nexus I just never feel the need..
eek
Vilante
Master artist
Master artist

Post by Vilante »

Awesome, thanks gents :yes:
Sarsippius

Post by Sarsippius »

The One X will be out next week, cheapest seems to be Allphones at a bit over $650. Not sure if you've done the deal yet but might be an idea to hold off for a week or so if you can.
Vilante
Master artist
Master artist

Post by Vilante »

Only just noticed I put this in the wrong section lol.

Thanks heaps Sars, will get that if I can, looks killer!
Shonky

Post by Shonky »

Good phone on paper that, but I hope you don't mind htc sense and all the crap they install, cause they make Samsung's touchwiz and app bundle look like stock android :-P
Vilante
Master artist
Master artist

Post by Vilante »

Yeah I've heard that. I really want a better camera though so I think it's worth it. Technically if I never see a straight Google phone I'll never know right? haha
KNAPPO
Master artist
Master artist

Post by KNAPPO »

Hear on Tech Talk Radio this week Telstra are selling the Samsung SGS2 4G.
http://www.telstra.com.au/latest-offers ... 5159312553" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Life is hard...but, life is harder when you're dumb.
Sarsippius

Post by Sarsippius »

The new sense actually looks very lean and speedy without changing a heck of a lot from stock android whilst also adding some nice extra features. I've had a stock rom on my desire for a long time but I actually anticipate sticking with the new sense 4 when I get either the One X or One S.
Whilst the Nexus is a very good phone I've read the camera is a bit average whereas the One X camera looks like it will be quite good. By all reports the screen one the One X is also much better than the Nexus.
As much as I might seem to be pushing the HTC I'd definitely have a good look at both in store to compare.
Durrie

Post by Durrie »

One of the reasons I got a Galaxy Nexus a while ago was that I'd get the system updates direct from Google and I wouldn't have to fart around with ROMs and waiting for Telstra to bugger around with each release installing all their marketing bumpf and delaying the process.

....still waiting for an update :(
Montey

Post by Montey »

I gave up waiting for Telstra and loaded the default image from Google. I absolutely love this phone now.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
- When trouble arises and things look bad, there is always one individual who perceives a solution and is willing to take command. Very often, that individual is crazy.
- If youre paddling upstream in a canoe and a wheel falls off, how many pancakes fit in a doghouse? None! Icecream doesn't have bones!!!
Exar Kun
Sensible Mick

Post by Exar Kun »

Picked up an HTC One XL a few days ago. Jeez it craps all over the Desire I had before that. I had no issues with Sense so it was nice to stick with something familiar. This phone was a little cheaper than the GS3 and has everything I need. Screen is a little bit too big but it looks fantastic. No memory expansion but 32gb on board is plenty for me. I've only had it in a 4G area once but the speeds were pretty insane. Even on 3G it canes along. Battery life seems to be same as Desire - not great, not horrible. Okay if charging once a day.
"If we can hit that bull's-eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!"
Jamo

Post by Jamo »

Upgrade from Desire or Desire HD Mick?
I drink a great deal, I sleep a little and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two hundred percent form - Sir Winston Churchill
Exar Kun
Sensible Mick

Post by Exar Kun »

Regular Desire, not HD.
"If we can hit that bull's-eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!"
Vilante
Master artist
Master artist

Post by Vilante »

I ended up with that phone MIck but on Optus so without the 4G but with the quad core. Best phone I've had I reckon, excellent. No slow down or freeze. Battery isn't great but not many phone's are at the moment.
Sarsippius

Post by Sarsippius »

I got the One XL as well, I'm not a heavy user so I get 2+ days out of a charge :lol:

The latest Sense is quite passable but there are a few annoyances with it compared to aosp, if it weren't for the camera app I'd have an aosp rom on there quick smart but the camera would lose too much of it's functionality.