Samsung Galaxy SIII

All the talk regarding mobile phones, mobile internet access etc etc.
Big Kev
Clean as a Whistle
Clean as a Whistle

Samsung Galaxy SIII

Post by Big Kev »

So this was announced yesterday.

The Android-based Samsung Galaxy S III offers a large 4.8-inch Super AMOLED display with a resolution of 1280x720. The large screen means that Galaxy S III measures nearly 20% taller and wider than the iPhone 4S, but is slightly thinner and lighter. The device also includes an 8-megapixel rear camera and a 1.9-megapixel front camera that can be used for face recognition and tracking features.

Samsung is placing a distinct emphasis on "natural interaction" for the Galaxy S III, touting its facial, voice, and motion recognition capabilities, including a Siri-like "S Voice" feature.

Other features include "Pop up play", which allows users to play videos anywhere on their screen while still using other apps, camera improvements including zero-lag shutter and burst shot mode, and NFC capabilities. Samsung has also partnered with Dropbox to offer Galaxy S III users 50 GB of free storage for two years, a deal that will extend to all Samsung phones and tablets later this year and see the Dropbox app come preinstalled on the devices.

In another bid to take on Apple, Samsung is also rolling out a new Music Hub service that integrates both a streaming service and an iTunes Match-like scan-and-match service to provide users with access to their own music from anywhere.

1Gb RAM
2,100mAh removable battery
136.6 x 70.6 x 8.6mm
AGPS, compass, accelerometer, gyroscope, barometer (Why the hell do you need a barometer?!?!)
133 grams / 4.7 oz.
ARSE Biscuits! Driftu Kingu!
My Flickr Stream
Santaria

Re: Samsung Galaxy SIII

Post by Santaria »

I have the nexus and its 4.65" screen. I don't think I could go bigger. It's difficult to use one handed as it is. I guess the S3 will sit between the Nexus and the Note? Hope the build quality is a little better than the Nexus, the battery cover is flimsy and doesn't sit snugg anymore after about 4-5 months.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus
Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561197999720352]Image[/url]
kwijibo
Squatting Squirter

Post by kwijibo »

Big Kev wrote: AGPS, compass, accelerometer, gyroscope, barometer (Why the hell do you need a barometer?!?!)
Some old fishermen user barometers as a sign of when good fishing in approaching... though I doubt they're the type of people who use smart phones :)

Looks like a very nice piece of gear.. huge in comparison to the iphone
Shonky

Post by Shonky »

I read something a little while back about the barometer being used to help with positioning in conjunction with all the other bits, not sure how knowing the barometric pressure helps locate you but it's there. :shrug:

As to the phone, I'm a bit underwhelmed, this is supposed to be Samsung's flagship phone but I think I like the HTC One X more, will wait until I've had a play with one before making a final judgement though.
w00dsy
The Senna of Hoppers Crossing

Post by w00dsy »

kwijibo wrote:
Big Kev wrote: AGPS, compass, accelerometer, gyroscope, barometer (Why the hell do you need a barometer?!?!)
Some old fishermen user barometers as a sign of when good fishing in approaching... though I doubt they're the type of people who use smart phones :)

Looks like a very nice piece of gear.. huge in comparison to the iphone

My brother in law runs a fishing charter business and he is always checking the weather and webcams in the area on his iphone.
durbster
The Whack Wasp Warrior

Post by durbster »

Some very clever things on this S3 but I don't think they've sold that very well, as they've focussed on showing everyone that it can do all that the iPhone can (e.g. high dpi and Siri). That seems a bit odd. Surely they should be selling it on what the iPhone 4S can't do (and what the iPhone 5 probably can't do).

I love the idea of the eye tracking. That's one thing that bugs me about my GS2. Otherwise it's just got all that was rumoured really.

Do people really want bigger phones? I think the GS2 is as big as I'd want to go because even with my MASSIVE MAN HANDS I can only just use it one handed. A bigger screen is fine but with the HTC One X and this, aren't they just too big now?
w00dsy
The Senna of Hoppers Crossing

Post by w00dsy »

i agree, that's too big for a phone for me. They are trying to fill holes between phone and tablet that don't seem to exist. Most people will need bigger pockets soon.
plastik8

Samsung Galaxy SIII

Post by plastik8 »

I'll probably be jumping ship from apple in a couple of months when contract is up. Had a 3G, 3GS, 4, and a 4S.

Wouldn't mind a galaxy note if they ever bring out a Telstra 4G LTE version else will prob wait for S3 4G when released.

I think galaxy note may be too big but I know for sure the iPhone is too small.... I reckon around 4.5" might be perfect but wouldn't mind S3 or note!
Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561197971333750]Image[/url]
durbster
The Whack Wasp Warrior

Post by durbster »

Anybody know if the Samsung 4G is the same as the iPad 3... sorry, New iPad 4G (i.e. it doesn't work anywhere but the US)?
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Samsung Galaxy SIII

Post by DexterPunk »

The SII 4G works here on our 4G network.

Sent from Han Solo using TK-421's phone.
Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Samsung Galaxy SIII

Post by Duke »

Yep Dex is correct the SII 4G is specific & compatible with Telstra's LTE 2100 network, what they're calling 4G.

So I'm pretty sure the reverse of the iPad3 issue would in effect if the Telstra SII 4G was used in the US. You'd only get 3G coverage using it over there.
Dukester

norbs diplomacy lesson 101: "If I was putting words in your mouth, you'd know."
Pinger$

Post by Pinger$ »

...keep in mind also that Australian 3G speed is what US calls 4G (for the most part). So go figure.
Luigi only likes Ferraris.
Vilante
Master artist
Master artist

Post by Vilante »

SHoNKY wrote:I read something a little while back about the barometer being used to help with positioning in conjunction with all the other bits, not sure how knowing the barometric pressure helps locate you but it's there. :shrug:

As to the phone, I'm a bit underwhelmed, this is supposed to be Samsung's flagship phone but I think I like the HTC One X more, will wait until I've had a play with one before making a final judgement though.
I think it's about elevation, the more expensive GPS watches have it.
nutty
Spam King
Spam King

Post by nutty »

Its about helping GPS Lockon, the Galaxy Nexus had it..

Speil from a google engineer
" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NeilPearson
Prize Winning ARSE

Post by NeilPearson »

I got one today. White one.

It's nice. Screen is real vibrant. Still playing with it.
norbs
fucking right wing vegan lesbian

Post by norbs »

NeilPearson wrote:I got one today. White one.

It's nice. Screen is real vibrant. Still playing with it.
Your S2 mustn't be 12 months old yet. Do you shit cash? :)
Sarc ; my second favourite type of gasm.
NeilPearson
Prize Winning ARSE

Post by NeilPearson »

I was on a 1 year contract with Vodafone. Didn't cost me anything to cancel it. Now on Telstra for $12 a month more
TIMMY30

Post by TIMMY30 »

After 8 long years with vodafone i finally had enough of their shit. Took the S2 back to vodafone and got released from the contract.
Walked straight to telstra and got an S3. To me the phones are pretty well identical. I dont really notice the size increase at all. I did notice that it is much lighter which isnt a bad thing. I will never own another iphone again after having the galaxy 2 and now 3. So much better in every way.
NeilPearson
Prize Winning ARSE

Post by NeilPearson »

I cannot send txt messages, i think i can recieve but who knows.

Factory reset the thing, called telstra twice, they have no idea whats going on. :\
bengatta
Ladies Motorkhana Champion

Post by bengatta »

NeilPearson wrote:Now on Telstra for $12 a month more
Stand by... norbs is revving up his banhammer as he reads this bit.... :)
They say, any day you wake up not dead is the start of a better day than it could be...

You don't need a parachute to skydive, you only need a parachute to skydive twice...

You're never too old to learn something stupid....
Bauer

Post by Bauer »

NeilPearson wrote:I cannot send txt messages, i think i can recieve but who knows.

Factory reset the thing, called telstra twice, they have no idea whats going on. :\
Hey Neil, did you take your number from Yodaphone with you to Telstra?

I had shit loads of trouble sorting mine out. I coulnt recieve MMS from anyone. Took Optus ages to fix it. Kept getting escalated until one day I got an MMS.
--------------
Stu
NeilPearson
Prize Winning ARSE

Post by NeilPearson »

I did mate, its been good, i could recieve mms from everyone except my gf who is on vodafone, it didnt bother me i dont really get many from her.

Yesterday at 3pm (roughly) i was texting my gf, and it all of a sudden would not send, just kept coming back as failed. i could recieve from her but not send normal txts. I sent one to my mum, and another to my dad (on telstra) and it worked, but i dont know anyone else on vodafone so couldnt really test that.

So today i had the brainwave to factory reset the phone, which i did, now i can't sent Txt's to anyone. which is not the improvement i was hoping for.

I have rung telstra twice, and they have no idea whats wrong, the first girl told me to take the battery and sim card out for 30 minutes and then it will work. shock that it didnt. the 2nd person at least admitted defeat and sent me through to samsung technical support, and they promply hung up on me. Sigh.

thats where i am at atm, im going to go into the telstra shop i got it from, see what they say.
Bauer

Post by Bauer »

Not that it helps, but mine was not the phone nor the sim card, it was my number ad the way it was ported over.

I took mine to the Optus shop for help, she could send and rec MMS using my phone, I couldnt using hers so it proved to tech help that it wasnt my phone. Once that was proven, people stopped telling me the phone was at fault and getting me to reset things each time I called.

Good luck
--------------
Stu
wabbit

Post by wabbit »

NeilPearson wrote:thats where i am at atm, im going to go into the telstra shop i got it from, see what they say.
They'll tell you to dig a hole in the backyard! :D
NeilPearson
Prize Winning ARSE

Post by NeilPearson »

Bauer wrote:Not that it helps, but mine was not the phone nor the sim card, it was my number ad the way it was ported over.

I took mine to the Optus shop for help, she could send and rec MMS using my phone, I couldnt using hers so it proved to tech help that it wasnt my phone. Once that was proven, people stopped telling me the phone was at fault and getting me to reset things each time I called.

Good luck
thanks for the info, ill force the issue a bit get them to try that tomorrow.
wabbit wrote:
NeilPearson wrote:thats where i am at atm, im going to go into the telstra shop i got it from, see what they say.
They'll tell you to dig a hole in the backyard! :D
Think about it though, dig it deep enough, the earth is cooler, help keeping it cool :P