Android Tablets

All the talk regarding mobile phones, mobile internet access etc etc.
Gusto

Re: Android Tablets

Post by Gusto »

Seeing Knappo running / streaming iRacing on his asus transformer was the goer for me. Got my TF300T delivered earlier this week.

Remote desktops to winxp / 7 / 8 preview, with win8 tablet functionality. Streaming HD video over wifi - 1080 no issue, while my PS3 absolutely struggles with 720p over the same connection.

TF700 was to be released soon I believe, with 1920x1080 screen... Loving this though
norbs
fucking right wing vegan lesbian

Post by norbs »

Caved and grabbed a Nexus 7 today from Joyce Mayne. The girl matched the Play Store and threw in a neoprene cover. Wasn't until she got to the checkout that she realised her mistake.

Now to get this sucker set up. ;)
Sarc ; my second favourite type of gasm.
r8response
Cry baby
Cry baby

Post by r8response »

Answered your tweet norbs.

But you use the same gmail address for the Nexus as for your S2. And you only need to redownload your apps.
norbs

Post by norbs »

r8response wrote:Answered your tweet norbs.

But you use the same gmail address for the Nexus as for your S2. And you only need to redownload your apps.
Thanks for that. Was hoping it was automatic. I can see why it isn't though.
r8response
Cry baby
Cry baby

Post by r8response »

Did the same with my Galaxy Tab. Signed in with the same gmail address. And they all show up and you just choose which you want to install.

Now when you purchase a new app, you are given the choice of which device to install it on.
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Android Tablets

Post by DexterPunk »

Galaxy Note 10.1 came in yesterday. They are pretty cool.

Sent from Han Solo using TK-421's phone.
AstrO
Help Desk Expert

Post by AstrO »

Picked up an ASUS TF300T on the weekend. Its a great little tablet.:)
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Android Tablets

Post by DexterPunk »

Some pretty fancy stuff coming from Asus soon. Mostly windows 8 devices though.

norbs

Post by norbs »

AstrO wrote:Picked up an ASUS TF300T on the weekend. Its a great little tablet.:)

That was the bugger I really wanted, but was too pricey.
AstrO
Help Desk Expert

Post by AstrO »

norbs wrote:
AstrO wrote:Picked up an ASUS TF300T on the weekend. Its a great little tablet.:)

That was the bugger I really wanted, but was too pricey.
I was planning to buy the Nexus 7... but kept gravitating towards the TF300T when I was testing them in-store. All that I really wanted was a tablet that ran Android so I could access all my purchased content (now that I've moved to a Windows phone). So it's definitely overkill... but I won't complain. :D
Bauer

Post by Bauer »

So how is the Nexus 7 Norbs? Easy peasy to live with?
--------------
Stu
norbs

Post by norbs »

Bauer wrote:So how is the Nexus 7 Norbs? Easy peasy to live with?

Yeah, pretty good. It is a massive indulgence though. Maybe the biggest "nice to have" I own. :)
Sarsippius

Post by Sarsippius »

I'm sure I posted earlier I pre-ordered the Nexus 7 so I might give some impressions. It replaced my original 7" Galaxy Tab so it was a little amusing in some respects seeing people impressed with this form factor when I'd been using something nearly identical for 18 months and when the original tab didn't go down very well at the time.

I wouldn't say I'm overflowing with praise for the Nexus but that's largely because I had been running ICS on my tab already, so in most respects the Nexus isn't a big upgrade on what I had and it even misses a few features like a sd and sim slots. However the Nexus is just that bit better in almost all respects (aside from the missing extra features) and for the price is a worthy upgrade.

Jellybean is a nice upgrade to ICS, it's more akin to the upgrade from Froyo to Gingerbread where all of the improvements were under the hood so it looked much the same but performed a lot better. It's definitely noticeable how quick and smooth everything is, it's not perfect but swiping home screens, scrolling web pages and opening and switching between apps is much quicker and smoother. The Tegra3, despite being a quad is actually an older and less efficient revision of the ARM architecture so I would expect on newer chips like in my HTC One XL it will fly.

Like I said I'm used to and also like the 7" form factor, it is a bit small compared to 10.1 for things like web surfing but is just so portable and easy to handle. It comes down to what you need, I do find the Nexus a bit better than the Tab for surfing which might come down to the higher res screen and how smooth it is zooming and scrolling pages. However if your main use for it is sitting on the couch web surfing then 10.1 might be better, you will just need to rest it somewhere ;)

After some of my other devices the development on the Nexus is almost a case of being too spoilt for choice. From day one the kernels and roms etc. have just been multiplying which is a good thing of course but it's hard to decide what to try and you could spend all your time just trying everything out and tweaking endlessly. Thankfully the base Jellybean OS is so good that whatever you go with it is just about guaranteed to be good.

If the form factor suits you then you really can't go wrong with the Nexus, it embodies everything that an android tablet should be and is a total steal for a little over $300.
Hazelb
Master artist
Master artist

Post by Hazelb »

norbs wrote:

Yeah, pretty good. It is a massive indulgence though. Maybe the biggest "nice to have" I own. :)
Huh? Want about the $3k dollar camera?
norbs

Post by norbs »

Hazelb wrote:
norbs wrote:

Huh? Want about the $3k dollar camera?

My last 3k camera earned me nearly 4k, so it is an investment, like the old one. I doubt I will make a red cent off the Nexus 7.
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Android Tablets

Post by DexterPunk »

Same conclusion I come to every time I think about buying a tablet. "Do I really need this?"

Then again I didn't need all the home theater gear I've bought.

Hazelb
Master artist
Master artist

Post by Hazelb »

Right!
Bauer

Post by Bauer »

:)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
--------------
Stu
Hazelb
Master artist
Master artist

Post by Hazelb »

So how is it stu?
NeilPearson
Prize Winning ARSE

Post by NeilPearson »

Just a question, my aunt wants a galaxy tab and she wants to know if Facebook games can be played on it. Anyone?

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Tapatalk 2
Bauer

Post by Bauer »

Hazelb wrote:So how is it stu?
Really liking it.

I must say that without ARSE I wouldnt have got the heads up on what apps are good etc so cheers guys. Keep em coming. TabletSMS is a cracker. The $25 Google Store credit is good too. Would have spent it anyway but it is a nice little kicker to the sale.

Been playing Stick Tennis on it. Feels really good in the hand and is a great size for gaming. I need to find an RPG of some kind too. Stick Cricket is not compatible which is a shame.

The obvious question around comparing it to the iPad is not really one I can answer yet. I have only had the Nexus 7 for 1 day and I am already using it differently to the iPad. TIVO remote and TV guide app are just 2 apps I would not have used on the iPad.

So far so good.
--------------
Stu
KNAPPO
Master artist
Master artist

Post by KNAPPO »

NeilPearson wrote:Just a question, my aunt wants a galaxy tab and she wants to know if Facebook games can be played on it. Anyone?
I think if you logged in via the browser and not an app it SHOULD work but I have no Facecrack games to test it on for you. :(
Life is hard...but, life is harder when you're dumb.
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

There maybe some problems - eg flash does not work on most browsers in android. You need dolphin for that. Not quite sure about java either. Or HTML 5 for that matter, LOL.
I think it'd need some testing to say for sure :)
Surprise, no sig. Now there is. Or is there?
NeilPearson
Prize Winning ARSE

Post by NeilPearson »

KNAPPO wrote:
NeilPearson wrote:Just a question, my aunt wants a galaxy tab and she wants to know if Facebook games can be played on it. Anyone?
I think if you logged in via the browser and not an app it SHOULD work but I have no Facecrack games to test it on for you. :(
i tried to play the game in chrome browser on my galaxy s3 and it said its not availible on my phone.
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Android Tablets

Post by DexterPunk »

If its flash based just don't put jelly bean on it. as far as i know, flash has been removed from android.