Android Tablets

All the talk regarding mobile phones, mobile internet access etc etc.
norbs
fucking right wing vegan lesbian

Android Tablets

Post by norbs »

Gents, what is the best Android tablet at the moment? Is it equal to an iPad? Thinking of getting one for the bride for her birthday.
Sarc ; my second favourite type of gasm.
r8response
Cry baby
Cry baby

Re: Android Tablets

Post by r8response »

The Asus Eee Pad Transformer is generally considered the best amongst all the Android based tablets. I haven't got one myself so i can't give too much info on it.

I do have the Galaxy Tab 10.1 It's a good bit of kit. Every app i have on my phone works just as well, if not better on the Tab.
Santaria

Post by Santaria »

I recently bought the SL101 which is the ASUS Eee tablet with the slide out keyboard. I'm buying a 2nd one in the next couple of weeks for work. Awesome bit of gear. I did however piss off the Honeycomb ROM and loaded ICS and it improved performance ten-fold. I have been leaning towards the Transformer, but for some reason I just didn't like it. Too bulky? Not sure, just didn't feel comfortable with it. The SL101 does everything I need it to without any problems. It's fairly decent on battery as well.

I have found that some apps and games don't appear to scale very well from phone to tablet.
Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561197999720352]Image[/url]
nutty
Spam King
Spam King

Post by nutty »

While im not the biggest tablet user, I did quite a bit of looking around and cant find one that suits my needs (traveling heaps, so movies on road/easy access to web/data in Australia/Overseas)

Im not quite sold that there is a top line tablet at this stage, the older Tegra 2 ones (10.1/xoom1 ect..) struggle to play some/most 720p mkv's and the newer tegra 3's or similar are abit too $$$

The Transformer Prime is the pick of the bunch, but ive really come around to buying one with 3g/4g
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Android Tablets

Post by DexterPunk »

The galaxy 8.9" 4G is pretty cool. All the 10.1's at work disappeared and are now 'Q' stock (Quit). That usually doesn't happen unless theres a replacement. The galaxy tabs and TF primes are the best non apple tablets.

Sent from Han Solo using TK-421's phone.
nutty
Spam King
Spam King

Post by nutty »

The 8.9 is actually the pick of the bunch, 4G decent price, 32gb of space and a decent CPU.. not quite sold on the 8.9" just a bit small tho
Bauer

Post by Bauer »

norbs wrote:Gents, what is the best Android tablet at the moment? Is it equal to an iPad? Thinking of getting one for the bride for her birthday.
Why not get her an Ipad?

I am not an apple fan, I hate iTunes, I use an Android phone - but I love my Ipad
--------------
Stu
KNAPPO
Master artist
Master artist

Post by KNAPPO »

Punching this out on my Asus Transformer Prime.

For me its been an awesome piece of kit, purchased the 64GB unit back in March from the Good Guys with a receipt from whirlpool. $800 instead of the $900+ asking price.

The battery life is phenomenal. Good 9 odd hours with the tab alone but connect it up to the keyboard dock and its an easy 18 hour run without a top up. It shipped with Honeycomb out of the box but there is an ISC update from Asus which was no issue at all. The usb in the dock is handy as for connecting up external HDD's or USB drives. I play a few games on it so the BT PS3 controller get used a lot for the more complex controlled games. The dock keyboard is a little smallish for my panda paws but i can type on it quicker than the glass keyboard, much more tactile.

Im finding myself reading a few eBooks on it these days as well, not using the Kindle app as ive found importing files from uncle torrence a bit of a pain.

All in all I cant really fault this tablet. Once I walk thru the door I dont touch my phone anymore, only for calls or txts. I find the tab much easier for browsing than the phone and a great alternative to the desktop.
Life is hard...but, life is harder when you're dumb.
norbs

Post by norbs »

Bauer wrote:
norbs wrote:Gents, what is the best Android tablet at the moment? Is it equal to an iPad? Thinking of getting one for the bride for her birthday.
Why not get her an Ipad?

I am not an apple fan, I hate iTunes, I use an Android phone - but I love my Ipad

Overpriced. IOS 5. iTunes. Should I keep going?

Edit : After the issues with the iPhone 4S (Bluetooth issues, email issues, battery issues) I have told her if she buys another Apple mobile device, she is on her own as far as fixing it. Even with her staff discount through her work, I can get a Asus Transformer Prime 32gig cheaper than the iPad 32gig.
Bauer

Post by Bauer »

norbs wrote:
Bauer wrote:
Why not get her an Ipad?

Overpriced. IOS 5. iTunes. Should I keep going?

Edit : After the issues with the iPhone 4S (Bluetooth issues, email issues, battery issues) I have told her if she buys another Apple mobile device, she is on her own as far as fixing it. Even with her staff discount through her work, I can get a Asus Transformer Prime 32gig cheaper than the iPad 32gig.
Thats fair. I knew you werent a fan and I wasnt baiting you. It just seems the girls love the iPads so I wondered what she wants?

I bought a 64 gig iPad 2 years ago. If I bought a new one, 16gig would do me. $400 for a 16 gig iPad 2 I think.
--------------
Stu
norbs

Post by norbs »

Of course you were baiting me. :grin:

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
durbster
The Whack Wasp Warrior

Post by durbster »

Ah, just spotted this which replaces the Transformer I have: Another contender?
plastik8

Post by plastik8 »

durbster wrote:Ah, just spotted this which replaces the Transformer I have: Another contender?
Isn't there a new model coming out? I believe it will be called ASUS Infinity.

But then again there's always a new model coming out, gotta buy one model one day!

Edit: http://eee.asus.com/eeepad/transformer- ... /features/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561197971333750]Image[/url]
KNAPPO
Master artist
Master artist

Post by KNAPPO »

The biggest difference with the new model coming out is the fix for the GPS radio. Mine is hopeless due to the aluminium body causing interference, but as the tab never leaves home it isnt an issue for me. I use my phone for a GPS if i need one as its more compact and it better suited for mounting to the car window ect.

And it has a higher resolution screen.
Shonky

Post by Shonky »

If you are going Android Norbs, make sure its running ICS out of the box, my Galaxy tab 7.7 runs v3.2 and it is a steaming pile of shit that destroys what should be an awesome tablet, it is supposed to be updated to ICS but I'm not holding my breath.

Sent from my Galaxy S2 via Tapatalk 2
w00dsy
The Senna of Hoppers Crossing

Post by w00dsy »

Thats what i paid for Jacquis iPad2. She enjoys it. I havent done much with it yet.
KNAPPO
Master artist
Master artist

Post by KNAPPO »

My Transformer Prime had a firmware upgrade tonight. Running Android 4.0.3. :)
norbs

Post by norbs »

Any thoughts on this?

http://eee.asus.com/eeepad/transformer- ... ification/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Might be able to get one for $320. ( from a mate who works at Good Guys in Sydney)
r8response
Cry baby
Cry baby

Post by r8response »

I'd buy one for $320
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

hey Norbs, that looks good. Does it come with that keyboard, or you have to purchase it separately?

On a sidenote:
I don't really understand why would they need 16GB ROM, and how it is important to anyone... ROM=read-only-memory, usually reserved for system storage, bios, etc.

but that $320 sounds like a good price, I'd buy one too :)

Edit:
I just talked to my business partners, they've actually bought one of these - then brought it back to the shop and bought a proper laptop. :)
Their biggest problem was speed over wifi network; it was crap. It was sitting next to a laptop on the same wifi network and the laptop was eating it alive. (so much so that they could not get any work done on the eee)
Surprise, no sig. Now there is. Or is there?
Santaria

Post by Santaria »

KNAPPO wrote:My Transformer Prime had a firmware upgrade tonight. Running Android 4.0.3. :)
Running the same on my slider. Made so much more of a difference it wasn't funny. Wish my Nexus would last as long on one charge though :-P

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus
Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561197999720352]Image[/url]
r8response
Cry baby
Cry baby

Post by r8response »

Wish Samsung would get off their arse and upgrade the Tab 10.1 to ICS
norbs

Post by norbs »

I wonder if Dex would honour this?

Image :)
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

hm...is there a point?
http://www.jbhifi.com.au/computers/tabl ... sku-86465/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

or is this something utterly different? I'm a bit lost...there seems to be no clear model numbering here :(
Surprise, no sig. Now there is. Or is there?
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Android Tablets

Post by DexterPunk »

Something different. It's the TF300T instead of a TF201... Or... A transformer Pad instead of a Transformer Prime. It's a whole heap cheaper and a better tablet as far as I can work out. Some of the primes had wifi issues, possibly due to the aluminium body. The transformer pads are a plastic. IIRC it's better spec'd too.

I still hate selling tablets at work. :S

Sent from Han Solo using TK-421's phone.