Android Tablets

All the talk regarding mobile phones, mobile internet access etc etc.
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Re: Android Tablets

Post by ysu »

So which one is better in your opinion?
Is there a place where all the models are side-by-side comparable? I'm truly, totally lost...which seems to be the aim of these guys. Get a confused client, they'll just buy some crap.

Edit: ok some googling reveals the 201 is the "transformer prime" as in model 1
the T300 is the transformer 2, so it's the second gen. thank you. :)
http://www.phonearena.com/news/Leaked-i ... -2_id26532" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.phonearena.com/news/Spec-com ... es_id27458" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Surprise, no sig. Now there is. Or is there?
norbs
fucking right wing vegan lesbian

Post by norbs »

So where does the Transformer Pad come into it? That was the one I was looking at yesterday, the TF300.
Sarc ; my second favourite type of gasm.
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Android Tablets

Post by DexterPunk »

That's the newer one Norbs.

Sent from Han Solo using TK-421's phone.
norbs

Post by norbs »

DexterPunk wrote:That's the newer one Norbs.

Could they make it any more confusing? :)

So it is the equal of the original Prime, but a newer version? Looking at other sites it seems the numbering is slightly different in different countries, or the web sites are reporting wrong. Trying to get an idea of what price they all are is a nightmare.
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

Yeah it's the most confusing market ever.
I've read some detailed reviews about the 300, and it seems to be the 'budget' version of the 201, but the differences aren't big.
- Very slightly slower cpu,
- plastic casing rather than aluminum,
- and the biggest difference is the screen; it's an IPS screen rather than a high-brightness IPS+ (this will only affect things in bright direct sunlight)

and the rrp is about $100 less IIRC
wabbit

Post by wabbit »

So... now you don't want this much choice? (yeah I'm just being a c**t).
norbs

Post by norbs »

wabbit wrote:So... now you don't want this much choice? (yeah I'm just being a c**t).
Choice is good. Just confusing.
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

wabbit wrote:So... now you don't want this much choice? (yeah I'm just being a c**t).
It's not the choice, it's the lack of information what's bad.
The confusing and obscure model numbering (following the first link, the official site does not even mention the model number, or if they do it's well hidden, and no mention of the older models either)

They simply don't want the customer to make an informed decision. Just buy whatever is on the shelf. :) It's a well known method of pushing crap for a long while now. GFX card manufacturers been using this method for ages now.

The battle of the numbers rules; the bigger the GB, the better. Hell, what do I need 32GB storage in that thing? I don't. But obviously they can't sell smaller ones too well (people look at the numbers, "oh this one is twice the size!"), because I could not even find a 16GB one for sale. Well, I've found one place but it cost the same as the 32GB one.
wabbit

Post by wabbit »

Actually, I do completely agree Ysu. It's a pretty fucked situation but on the bright side I've heard a few CEOs say recently they are looking to decrease the amount of smartphone and tablets models per year (from memory it was Samsung and HTC).
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Android Tablets

Post by DexterPunk »

This is one of the reasons I hate selling tablets... They are confusing and annoying even for staff.

norbs

Post by norbs »

Well, I ended up getting her a new iPad 16G for $425 in one of those group buy things on eBay. After she was trying to use the S2 on the weekend, I figured a new Android tablet was going to be more work than I was ready for. It seems strange that the ladies love the Apple stuff, and MOST blokes prefer Android.

Now, I am thinking of one of the new Google tablets for $249. Any one got any thoughts?

http://www.smh.com.au/technology/techno ... 213cv.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Android Tablets

Post by DexterPunk »

Most blokes don't prefer Android. We sell maybe 2 Android tablets at work a week. iPads, about average would be 3-4 a day. Its more popular across the board. Maybe there are more nerdy blokes around than ladies? I think people who are tech savvy to some degree underestimate the capabilities of the average person. Most people struggle using technology.

norbs

Post by norbs »

DexterPunk wrote:Most blokes don't prefer Android. We sell maybe 2 Android tablets at work a week. iPads, about average would be 3-4 a day. Its more popular across the board. Maybe there are more nerdy blokes around than ladies? I think people who are tech savvy to some degree underestimate the capabilities of the average person. Most people struggle using technology.

I did a head count last night of the people I work with, ride bikes with and know on here and there are 3 out of 36 that have iPhones that I can think of. The rest have Androids with the exception of 2 with Win Phones. Even the gay guy that works here has given up on iPhones!

Of that group, 8 blokes who have Androids have a wife with an iPhone. I know it isn't exactly a wide ranging survey, but it is still a fact.

I am not going to get into an argument with you over it Dex, I know you are Apple through and through, I am just stating what I have observed. The same way you do at JB. I am willing to bet that the majority of tech savvy people don't go into JB to get advice, I bet they go in there after a price match. You just have to look at Whingepool to see that.

Back to the new Google 7 inch tablet. Any thoughts?
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Android Tablets

Post by DexterPunk »

That's right. And mostly all of android buyers already know what they want.

I'm not apple through and through. Don't like iPads.

Out of my close group of friends... About 20 or so. Everyone of them have an iPhone... Guys and girls alike. I guess it just depends. But I know what we sell.

KNAPPO
Master artist
Master artist

Post by KNAPPO »

The google tablet looks pretty speccy but im surprised they are 7" over 10". I couldnt imagine using or wanting a 7 since ive had my 10" prime. My phone is my small screen device and the tab is perfect for my around the home meda consumer.

Now have been using the Splashtop app for accessing my pc remotely with the tab it would be a pita with a smaller screen as i have panda paws. But each to their own and google could still launch a larger device.
Life is hard...but, life is harder when you're dumb.
Sarsippius

Post by Sarsippius »

I've ordered the 16GB model of the Nexus 7, 8GB just isn't enough onboard storage if you want to plonk a bunch of video on it. I've got the original 7" Galaxy Tab and the size is good from a portability point of view and that's what they're aiming at, something you can easily carry around, read a book, play some games, watch a movie on the plane etc. It's not ideal for web surfing, the screen still feels a bit cramped so if you want something to lay back on the couch and surf then I think a 10" will still be the go.

This is google's all out massive assault into the tablet market with something that will appeal to the mass market and priced so low that people can hardly say no. Apparently it will be available at all the major retail stores all at once so suddenly they're going to be everywhere. The ipad is the tablet market at the moment and the hardware manufacturers haven't really made much headway like they have with phones so google's pulling out all stops with this one.

It does have it's short comings missing some features but for the price you can't complain at all, you're getting something with the build quality and hardware of a top of the line tablet for a fraction of the cost.
pixelboy

Post by pixelboy »

The Nexus 7 is indeed a ripper of a tablet. The only thing it's missing is a 32gb version or a micro sd card slot :-(
eek
norbs

Post by norbs »

Very nearly grabbed the Acer Iconia today for $325 at OW. Didnt know a lot about it so walked away. Need one for me. :)
AstrO
Help Desk Expert

Post by AstrO »

norbs wrote:
DexterPunk wrote:I did a head count last night of the people I work with, ride bikes with and know on here and there are 3 out of 36 that have iPhones that I can think of. The rest have Androids with the exception of 2 with Win Phones. Even the gay guy that works here has given up on iPhones!
Catrina needed a new phone, so I started looking around. Her only requirement was that it had to have an ok camera with a flash and dedicated camera button. I ended up recommending a Nokia Lumia 800 and she loves it. Previously she was using a Sony X10 android phone.

The 2 big sellers are the slick interface and integrated social media apps. I was so impessed by the responsiveness of the UI that I selected it on my business plan to test out some windows phone development.

Apart from the lack of apps, similar to the early android days, I can't see myself going back to android fulltime. And a windows 8 tablet may be the way of the future. :)

Posted from my win phone ;)
norbs

Post by norbs »

Any opinions on this?

http://www.ozbargain.com.au/node/74110" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Android Tablets

Post by DexterPunk »

The one at work seems a little slow. Maybe needs some bloatware removed or something though.

norbs

Post by norbs »

DexterPunk wrote:The one at work seems a little slow. Maybe needs some bloatware removed or something though.

Ok. Thanks Dex.
Shonky

Post by Shonky »

I got one of those norbs, the tablet has good hardware (essentially the SGS2 at a higher clock) but is let down by crap software, stock it's running Honeycomb (3.2), but it is very close to getting upgraded to 4.0.4, the 7.7 3G+Wifi (P6800) just got ICS yesterday, hopefully the 7.7 Wifi (P6810) will get the 4.0.4 update shortly too.

I quite like the tab, but I have been hanging out for ICS, Honeycomb is a steaming pile of shit that Google should never have released in my opinion.

http://www.sammobile.com/2012/07/03/hot ... y-tablets/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Santaria

Post by Santaria »

SHoNKY wrote:I got one of those norbs, the tablet has good hardware (essentially the SGS2 at a higher clock) but is let down by crap software, stock it's running Honeycomb (3.2), but it is very close to getting upgraded to 4.0.4, the 7.7 3G+Wifi (P6800) just got ICS yesterday, hopefully the 7.7 Wifi (P6810) will get the 4.0.4 update shortly too.

I quite like the tab, but I have been hanging out for ICS, Honeycomb is a steaming pile of shit that Google should never have released in my opinion.

http://www.sammobile.com/2012/07/03/hot ... y-tablets/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
This won't get the Jellybean update? Be good if it does. It's like 4.0.x was the beta. It's crazy good OS. I have it on my nexus at the moment.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus
Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561197999720352]Image[/url]
Shonky

Post by Shonky »

Not sure San, would be a bonus if it does, but I'm not counting on it given how long its taken Samsung to get ICS out for its tab range.

The one thing I'm hoping is the modding community will go to town now with ICS in their hands for the 7.7, there has been a few having a crack at doing an ICS port but I haven't been game to try it given the list of things not working with it outweigh the things that do work.