iPhone 5

All the talk regarding mobile phones, mobile internet access etc etc.
w00dsy
The Senna of Hoppers Crossing

Re: iPhone 5

Post by w00dsy »

yeah they aren't at all bitter about the billion dollar court ruling.

Big Kev
Clean as a Whistle
Clean as a Whistle

Post by Big Kev »

I drove 160 miles from Oxford to North Wales yesterday and tried out the turn by turn navigation for the trip. I'm very impressed. Good clear instructions with ETA and time/distance remaining on display.

As I know the route well I did a couple of minor detours on the way to see how it would cope with on-the-fly route changes. For about the first mile it was directing me to the next junction to turn round and after that it recalculated the route and let me carry on.

The only downside was 85% battery usage in 3 hours but I could have made the screen a little dimmer to save a bit.
ARSE Biscuits! Driftu Kingu!
My Flickr Stream
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

Cheers Kev, good to know.

A dedicated GPS doesn't last all that long on batteries either, so not that surprising.

Sent from Han Solo using TK-421's phone.
w00dsy

Post by w00dsy »

it's shit like this that really makes me hate Apple. http://www.theverge.com/2012/9/22/33737 ... -sales-ban" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Big Kev
Clean as a Whistle
Clean as a Whistle

Post by Big Kev »

I tried the new iOS6 panorama thingy this morning. This is straight off the camera on a rather cold and grey day in Wales.

My Flickr Stream
Shaun

Post by Shaun »

Wow that doesnt do a bad job at all, i tried the panorama feature of the SII on top of the empire state building, this is straight off the camera, just cropped out the misses' head lol (pic for comparison)
Hello :aussie:
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

The iOS pano stitching is surprisingly good. Far less artifacts and issues than I'd expected. Even in lower light and trickier conditions.

EzyRider

Post by EzyRider »

Apple have announced they have reportedly already sold 5 million iPhone 5's apparently.

Can I just state the obvious, and state a rather loud and obnoxious "What The Fuck People"?
Middle Pack Racing Watch your mirrors!

Norbs on Germaine Greer: "..that crusty old slag can tongue kiss my quivering sphincter muscle, fuck her and the pretentious boat she fucking sailed in on."
Big Kev
Clean as a Whistle
Clean as a Whistle

Post by Big Kev »

Lot of people coming off 2 year iP4 contracts.
My Flickr Stream
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

It doesn't seem too obvious to me.

durbster
The Whack Wasp Warrior

Post by durbster »

I was just reading that five million is short of estimates apparently. Stock's dropped a couple of percent today.

I never cease to be amazed that people will readily spend hundreds of $£ on kit without waiting to see if it's any good or not. I am a stingy git but it takes me weeks and months of reading and researching before I part with that amount of cash. :melt:
Takumi

Post by Takumi »

I had a quick play with one of these in a shop on the weekend - and found it funny for one reason. The 5 was mounted side by side about 40cm away from a 4s - and from that distance they pretty much looked identical. I had to check and reeled both of them out to bring them together and only then did I notice the extra height of the 5 and the subtle design differences. From a Galaxy user it also felt extremely narrow. 16:9 might be ideal for a movie but I can't remember the last time I watched a movie on my S2 that wasn't a 5minute youtube video.. oh you now have to download the youtube app because it isn't included? lol. I'd much prefer to have a wider keyboard, wider web browser or just wider everything I guess without the need to turn the phone sideways, which is exactly what I'd do on an iPhone.

Not slamming it or anything, I just don't understand what all the big fuss is about. I'm also interested to see how people go with the anodised aluminium construction - I am seeing lots of forum threads about scratching and scuffs (even straight out of the box so check your phones).
It's been nice, chaps.
w00dsy

Post by w00dsy »

this is a great trick :D

[youtube] [/youtube]
Big Kev
Clean as a Whistle
Clean as a Whistle

Post by Big Kev »

My Flickr Stream
Big Kev
Clean as a Whistle
Clean as a Whistle

Post by Big Kev »

To our customers,

At Apple, we strive to make world-class products that deliver the best experience possible to our customers. With the launch of our new Maps last week, we fell short on this commitment. We are extremely sorry for the frustration this has caused our customers and we are doing everything we can to make Maps better.

We launched Maps initially with the first version of iOS. As time progressed, we wanted to provide our customers with even better Maps including features such as turn-by-turn directions, voice integration, Flyover and vector-based maps. In order to do this, we had to create a new version of Maps from the ground up.

There are already more than 100 million iOS devices using the new Apple Maps, with more and more joining us every day. In just over a week, iOS users with the new Maps have already searched for nearly half a billion locations. The more our customers use our Maps the better it will get and we greatly appreciate all of the feedback we have received from you.

While we’re improving Maps, you can try alternatives by downloading map apps from the App Store like Bing, MapQuest and Waze, or use Google or Nokia maps by going to their websites and creating an icon on your home screen to their web app.

Everything we do at Apple is aimed at making our products the best in the world. We know that you expect that from us, and we will keep working non-stop until Maps lives up to the same incredibly high standard.

Tim Cook
Apple’s CEO
My Flickr Stream
durbster
The Whack Wasp Warrior

Post by durbster »

If that had a comments section, Apple fanboys will start arguing with him saying there's no problem with the maps :)
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

I'm sure the issues are there, but I haven't encountered any using it.

wabbit

Post by wabbit »

Apple Maps:

In short, its fucked.

Why? Its not because its completely wrong every single time, nope not that... Its that its maybe 1/2, 1/3 or 1/6 times correct (really depends what your looking for). Thats the problem, I quickly lost faith in Apple Maps from day one. Once I started having to double check the result with maps.google.com I understood that I cannot use Apple Maps until the accuracy is there. I mean whats the fucking point if you need to open two mapping apps just to find a place.

iPhone 5:

In short, its a great upgrade handset wise (from even a 4S).

Why? Because like the other massive ecosystem, a new handsets perceived awesomeness is really 90% of the time based around hardware specs of various levels, the remaining would be software and services. When you compare the 4S to 5, its far quicker to pick out items that haven't changed.

Heres some links to save me typing.
Performance preview
Display shootout: iPhone 5 vs Samsung S3

Theres maybe a few more articles I could have linked to but I've forgotten where I read them and more to the point we still need to wait a little longer for even more in depth reviews to come out.

iOS 6:

In short, I found the update to be a mediocre to good update, really depends on what you were after.

Actually I can't be fucked going into some level of detail. Australians will need to wait for some of the features to become available (just like Aussie Android users did the same). The other features or enhancements that are enabled are beneficial and well thats about it isn't.
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

I'm actually not sure how the 5 is really worth the upgrade. I spoke to a mate with one yesterday and I said. Is it much better? He said "same shit, only got one because of my fucked screen." But as I've said before. All phones have sort of reached that point. The software and the content separate them.

Shaun

Post by Shaun »

Hello :aussie:
wabbit

Post by wabbit »

Agh stuff it Shaun, I'll play along one hundred and thirty two pages, your turn :D
w00dsy

Post by w00dsy »

wabbit

Post by wabbit »

I'm happy with the battery life (I know full well the screen uses more power etc).

DarrenM

Post by DarrenM »

Complaints are coming out about the camera having bad purple fringing.

http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2272535" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
KNAPPO
Master artist
Master artist

Post by KNAPPO »

DarrenM wrote:Complaints are coming out about the camera having bad purple fringing.

http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2272535" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It seems like people are just holding it wrong.... again :p
http://gizmodo.com/5947972/apple-acknow ... g-it-wrong
Life is hard...but, life is harder when you're dumb.