Samsung Galaxy S3 Mini

All the talk regarding mobile phones, mobile internet access etc etc.
Big Kev
Clean as a Whistle
Clean as a Whistle

Samsung Galaxy S3 Mini

Post by Big Kev »

Samsung has just announced the Galaxy S III mini, a 4-inch David version of its Goliath big brother -- will it be worthy of its name? The rumor mill churned out that it might be a dumbed down version, but an oblique comment by mobile head JK Shin suggests otherwise -- either way, we're on the scene in Frankfurt, Germany to give you the long (and short) of it. According to the spec sheet we just received, this Android 4.1 phone features a dual-core 1GHz chip (which is good news for the 1,500mAh battery), 1GB RAM, 8 or 16GB of internal storage plus an extra 32GB maximum via microSD. The 4-inch Super AMOLED screen comes with a WVGA resolution, while the main camera takes five-megapixel photos plus 720p video, and there's a VGA front-facing camera as well for fans of video chats. There's obviously the usual bundle of radios as well, including 802.11a/b/g/n WiFi, GPS, GLONASS, FM radio, Bluetooth 4.0 (LE) and even NFC, but for now, this 111.5-gram TouchWiz device will only support HSPA 900/1900/2100 networks along with EDGE 850/900/1800/1900.
ARSE Biscuits! Driftu Kingu!
My Flickr Stream
durbster
The Whack Wasp Warrior

Re: Samsung Galaxy S3 Mini

Post by durbster »

Good move by Samsung this. The sheer size of the S3 does put a lot of people off (even though in reality it doesn't seem to be a problem).

It's amusing they've called it the 'mini' when it's the same size as Apple's flagship model. Presumably Apple will sue them now, as they have just 'invented' the 4" touch screen phone ;)
richo

Post by richo »

Rebadged S2 methinks :)

The S3 is pretty chunky for a woman so not a bad idea
[]D [] []v[] []D
SE1Z

Post by SE1Z »

For me at least, the whole appeal of the S3 was it's size.
I rarely talk on a mobile - so the large screen is perfect.

The mini must appeal to a completely different market...

*edit*
http://www.gizmodo.com.au/2012/10/samsu ... downgrade/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Seems the specs are a bit lower...
The Galaxy S III Mini will have a 4-inch screen at 800×480 pixels. That’s 233ppi (pixels per inch), down from 306ppi on the original galaxy. The processor is a dual-core unit clocked at 1GHz, down from the dual-core S4 on the North American Galaxy S III which is clocked at 1.5GHz, and down even further from the quad-core 1.4GHz Exynos processor on the international version. RAM drops from 2GB to 1GB, the battery drops from 2100mAh to 1500mAh, and the camera drops from 8MP to 5MP.
Steve
---
w00dsy
The Senna of Hoppers Crossing

Post by w00dsy »

richo wrote:Rebadged S2 methinks :)

The S3 is pretty chunky for a woman so not a bad idea

I was thinking the same, it's essentially an S2/2
norbs
fucking right wing vegan lesbian

Post by norbs »

richo wrote:Rebadged S2 methinks :)

The S3 is pretty chunky for a woman/Dex so not a bad idea

Fixed. :D
Sarc ; my second favourite type of gasm.