New Samsung Galaxy S4

All the talk regarding mobile phones, mobile internet access etc etc.
richo

Re: New Samsung Galaxy S4

Post by richo »

I had no problem with the first iPhone but from then on had a lot of issues (button will not work , can't get wifi anywhere and not detecting the sim) that an my complete hatred of iTunes has swayed me to Samsung and so far my S2 has been faultless
, Mackbook Pro has been great so far although it disconnects from wifi every 5 or so minutes even after i have replaced routers a few times.
[]D [] []v[] []D
pogo

Post by pogo »

On the phone now to "Apple Care" for a replacement 4S for Laura, after the wifi shit itself. Also the battery seems to be running down in a matter of hours. It's under 12 months old.

S3 for me, loving it. Easily the best phone I've owned. I won't be looking for a replacement 'til I kill it.
pixelboy

Post by pixelboy »

w00dsy wrote:We just had to get my daughter's brand new iPhone 5
Your daughter has a $800 phone? Isn't she only 12?
eek
richo

Post by richo »

My daughter is 13 and is busting my chops for a iPhone 5 but she will have to do with my old 3GS , it's become a fashion/peer pressure thing as far as i can see my daughter was in tears because all her mates had got new iphones and ipads and i was a dead shit for not buying her one.

I stopped the new phone for kids deal when my older daughter (nearly 21) could not put the phone down long enough to feed herself and dropped a brand new Blackberry into a steaming bowl of Chicken Noodle soup..
[]D [] []v[] []D
durbster
The Whack Wasp Warrior

Post by durbster »

Well that's a bit spooky. I was just about to write a post saying that the iMac 27 in our office has been faultless for 2 years, but almost as I started typing the guy using it just realised that the clicking noise he's been hearing in the last couple of days is not coming from his watch as he thought. The context of this thread suddenly made me quite concerned it's the HDD in the iMac that's about to die.

I have raised this with the boss before when discussing using Macs vs. PCs in the office. My main issue with them is that if anything inside that pretty box goes then you lose the whole machine until it's fixed.
norbs
fucking right wing vegan lesbian

Post by norbs »

durbster wrote:Well that's a bit spooky. I was just about to write a post saying that the iMac 27 in our office has been faultless for 2 years, but almost as I started typing the guy using it just realised that the clicking noise he's been hearing in the last couple of days is not coming from his watch as he thought. The context of this thread suddenly made me quite concerned it's the HDD in the iMac that's about to die.

I have raised this with the boss before when discussing using Macs vs. PCs in the office. My main issue with them is that if anything inside that pretty box goes then you lose the whole machine until it's fixed.
Get it looked at ASAP and back the sucker up.
Sarc ; my second favourite type of gasm.
pixelboy

Post by pixelboy »

Yeah a clicking HDD means it's almost dead.. Back it all up asap.
eek
durbster
The Whack Wasp Warrior

Post by durbster »

Yep, already doing that. I've run the serial number through the Apple thing and it's apparently not the Seagate one they're replacing for free, but I'm in taking the ultra paranoid route now.
richo

Post by richo »

The 2.5" HDD click of death , the downside of imacs being a laptop welded onto a monitor (ok that may not be entirely true).

As the guys have said back it up and get it replaced asap.
[]D [] []v[] []D
w00dsy
The Senna of Hoppers Crossing

Post by w00dsy »

pixelboy wrote:
w00dsy wrote:We just had to get my daughter's brand new iPhone 5
Your daughter has a $800 phone? Isn't she only 12?

13, not that it makes a difference. She had an old hand me down iPhone 3 and when we went to update my son's phone they said she can upgrade hers as well. She was pretty stoked when we came home with a new phone for her as well, it's her first new phone. I certainly wouldn't go and pay $800 outright for one, but on a plan its not too bad.
pixelboy

Post by pixelboy »

Ok mate.. Goodo, I hate it when people judge my parenting so I'm gunna pull up stumps now.. My boys only 6 so we've got plenty to come.
eek
durbster
The Whack Wasp Warrior

Post by durbster »

Well I think you're all terrible parents, and I can judge you because I don't have any kids. :p

I do have a dog though.

And she started eating another dog's poo this morning just after it had laid it.

Bugger. :(
r8response
Cry baby
Cry baby

Post by r8response »

durbster wrote:And she started eating another dog's poo this morning just after it had laid it.
Could be a number of issues causing that. Insufficient nutrients/minerals in the food, not enough food. That's usually the most likely cause.
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

r8response wrote:
durbster wrote:And she started eating another dog's poo this morning just after it had laid it.
Could be a number of issues causing that. Insufficient nutrients/minerals in the food, not enough food. That's usually the most likely cause.
...or having a labrador, like us! ;)

Although ours is a gourmet, only eats cats' poo...
Surprise, no sig. Now there is. Or is there?
pab

Post by pab »

Thread officially derailed!
PB
Radioactive Race Engineering #16 / Lightning Karts KT100s #61
r8response
Cry baby
Cry baby

Post by r8response »

pab wrote:Thread officially derailed!
Wouldn't be an ARSE thread if it weren't
durbster
The Whack Wasp Warrior

Post by durbster »

r8response wrote:
Yep, been through all that but it doesn't seem to be the case. Apparently it's quite common and the concensus seems to be that some dogs just enjoy eating shit and vomit because they're disgusting. If you have any suggestions I'm all ears because it's one of the few things she does wrong.

We've tried all sorts of different food and she now has (depending on your point of view) the best food you can buy. The only thing we haven't tried is a raw meat diet, although that's not out of the question.

It's certainly not a lack of food either because from day one (well, eight weeks) she's been a relentless eating machine - no matter how much we feed her she's always looking for more. She eats almost three times the recommended amount for her size these days but will still hoover the floor looking for more.

And I asked her this morning and she isn't thinking of getting a Galaxy S4. Thread back on track! :afro:
pixelboy

Post by pixelboy »

I bet all her mates have iPhone 5's!
eek
Sarsippius

Post by Sarsippius »

To get kinda back on topic (no dog or kids ;) ) I don't really like the over saturated amoled screens that Samsung use. I have the HTC One XL and until a few months ago it still had the best screen on the market.

The new HTC One is going to be out in a few weeks and that's got me seriously thinking how to upgrade (one of the work mobiles is off contract so might nab one that way). The overall industrial design of the One is really impressive and I've had good a good experience with HTC with my Desire & One XL.

My experience of Samsung from my Galaxy Tab is that they can't do software for shit which could be a bit off the mark nowadays but whilst some of the software features they're introducing sound ok I don't trust their coding ability. I've been using a stock rom on my One XL the last couple months without much issue but my experience with Samsung was you needed a custom ROM where a dev has fixed all Samsungs little fuck ups to have the device function as it should.

I'm also a bit wary of Samsung becoming the de facto standard Android brand, one of the best things about Android is it's variety with different manufacturers bringing different things to the table. Still I hold a certain amount of respect for how well they've done. Apple are playing second fiddle now and their recent attempts at talking up the iPhone are proof of that. Does anyone really think an iPhone 5S is going to cut it this year? :shake:

TLDR: Samsung sux, HTC rulz, Apple sux also :lol:
pixelboy

Post by pixelboy »

HTC are nice but Sense really annoys me. There are always options if you can get it rooted.
eek
Quincy

Post by Quincy »

Dogs eat shit. Nothing to be concerned about.

Dogs will eat as much food as you give them, they will also survive on bugger all food. . .

derailed. again. :melt:
balls & boobs. . .
VTRacing
Team Pedant (c)

Post by VTRacing »

So this might need a new thread, but I'm looking at a new phone / plan next week before I go to NZ and considering HTC One XL, Galaxy S3 or Galaxy Note II. I'm tempted by the Note considering I don't have a tablet and it could be the middle of the road option to do both roles.

Thoughts?

Bear in mind I'm unlikely to go after custom roms etc.

Sent from my current HTC Desire on the Telstra network using Tapatalk 2
:teach:
petey

Post by petey »

The note is not even remotely comparable to a tablet, it is merely an oversized smartphone.

One XL, S3 I have both and both are good, S3 has better battery life however it is running a custom rom (but was far better stock vs stock anyway). It really so far seems like very much just the difference in brands. They achieve certain things in different ways so really you just need to try them out if you can.
If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you finally have enough horsepower.
VTRacing
Team Pedant (c)

Post by VTRacing »

The other thing I'm interested in is phone reception, because this HTC Desire seems terrible to me. Places where I'd expect to get signal I get nothing. I see Telstra recommends the One XL for rural users but does that actually mean anything?
:teach:
Enforcer-J

Post by Enforcer-J »

VTRacing wrote:So this might need a new thread, but I'm looking at a new phone / plan next week before I go to NZ and considering HTC One XL, Galaxy S3 or Galaxy Note II. I'm tempted by the Note considering I don't have a tablet and it could be the middle of the road option to do both roles.
My mrs had a HTC Desire and bought a Note II with that intention about 3 months ago. It didn't meet her requirements apparently...she bought a tablet yesterday.