New Samsung Galaxy S4

All the talk regarding mobile phones, mobile internet access etc etc.
petey

Re: New Samsung Galaxy S4

Post by petey »

Reception is better with the HTC, but by the same token - the HTC was telstra bought (4G native) and when I tried the S3 with the telstra sim I couldn't get the right modem.

So the S3 does pretty well considering it's on Vodafone but I am rarely (if ever) out of reception with the HTC.
If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you finally have enough horsepower.
KNAPPO
Master artist
Master artist

Post by KNAPPO »

I picked up a Samsung S4 on Saturday as my HTC Desire HD's contract had finished up.
So far this phone has been fantastic in comparison to the Desire HD. The Desire wouldn't last me one day on its charge in the end but I did have a few apps on there that were chewing power that I just don't need anymore... I listen to music a lot at work and a fair bit of podcasts so I decided to put the S4 thru my same daily routine on its 2nd charge. Gotta say im more than impressed with the result.

The phone wasn't massively hammered but more so a reflection of my usual use. Few calls, sms/mms, used the camera a bit but no video, about 2 hours of podcasts, listened to music on the way into and home from work and for two days during the cycle at work. Bit of FaceARSE on mobile data and a decent amount of web use at home on wifi. I wasnt trying to smash the phone but use it as I normally would. Screen on time was about 3hrs over the two days.

Happy with this result. :nod:
Life is hard...but, life is harder when you're dumb.
NeilPearson
Prize Winning ARSE

Post by NeilPearson »

That is rather impressive. I wants one. But no. No Neil

Sent from my GT-i9100 using Tapatalk 2
nutty
Spam King
Spam King

Post by nutty »

Whats the screen on time? thats the killer
petey

Post by petey »

nutty wrote:Whats the screen on time? thats the killer
KNAPPO wrote:Screen on time was about 3hrs over the two days.
If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you finally have enough horsepower.
KNAPPO
Master artist
Master artist

Post by KNAPPO »

Yeah screen time wasn't massive but reflected pretty standard use for me, im not a huge caller and with 3 kids at home I have less time for video consumption and if I do the tablet gets the hammering. Time out was set to 30 seconds and when I was listening to music i would pause and skip tracks via the lock screen widget which has an even shorter screen time out. I made a few calls but the front facing camera notices when my mug gets close to the screen and turns it off where as my DesireHD would just stay on during the whole call unless i hit the power button.
norbs
fucking right wing vegan lesbian

Post by norbs »

It seems the biggest advancement in the near 2 years between phones is the battery life. And so it should be.
Sarc ; my second favourite type of gasm.
wabbit

Post by wabbit »

norbs
fucking right wing vegan lesbian

Post by norbs »

Interesting battery tests.
Sarc ; my second favourite type of gasm.
wabbit

Post by wabbit »

Yeah I know. I was really surprised the good and the bad.

I don't think it was the octocore one either. But I didn't notice it edges out the HTC One in most benchmarks cause they were able to clock it a little higher which returned real benefits.
pixelboy

Post by pixelboy »

I bet the battery life drops pretty sharply after about a month.. You to norbs.

All my phones start out with great life and then it sort of fades off after a month or two..

Let's see!
eek
KNAPPO
Master artist
Master artist

Post by KNAPPO »

Very true Pix, I really noticed it on my DesireHD...

I have been playing around with the IR tv remote feature tonight and the sammy app "Watch On". Im pretty impressed for a few reasons, mainly the fact that with my Panasonic tv the S4 has better IR remote reception than the standard remote that came with the tv, almost double the range! No more having to point the remote right at the IR receiver on the tv... :bang:

I have programmed in my 3 main rooms each with a different brand tv. Family room (Panasonic), Lounge (Samsung smart tv) and the Gaming room (LG) each tv has a custom remote gui which has all the main functionality of the physical remote controls that ship with the tv's, including the Samsung smart tv's smart hub button. The gui's are a little simplistic but all the main buttons you actually need are there.

The added bonus of the 'Whats On' app is the Aussie tv schedule. You get the channel guide listing of whats live and whats up next and 5 days into the week. There are additional filtered lists for favourite channels, tv shows, movies & sports. These have a pretty gui with pic of the show and some additional meta data with a watch now or in the Samsung smart tv's case, an additional record button. Works so well for what I thought was a bit of a wanky feature. Im quite impressed with the IR remote functionality of the phone.

EDIT: Got multi devices sorted now from the one room profile, with the lounge room I have the Samsung tv, WD tv live & the Yamaha receiver all programmed into the one room gui. From there you can control each device individually by swiping from left or right to swap remote gui's or use the universal remote function. You map what device controls volume and inputs ect and your set. The universal remote controls all 3 devices from the one interface. When your done, you can hit the power button and shut down all 3 at once. :D
KNAPPO
Master artist
Master artist

Post by KNAPPO »

Works really well in public too. Just took control of the LG tv in the cafe we were having lunch at. :nod:
NeilPearson
Prize Winning ARSE

Post by NeilPearson »

That's so cool.

Must not get one. ..........

NeilPearson
Prize Winning ARSE

Post by NeilPearson »

That's so cool.

Must not get one. ..........

Shonky

Post by Shonky »

Haha good way to start a blue down the pub, change the channel while the footy is on.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
petey

Post by petey »

I imagine that could get quite annoying if you had a few people cluey enough to do so.
KNAPPO
Master artist
Master artist

Post by KNAPPO »

I want to go into JB's or Hardley Normal with my Panasonic or Samsung profile and see how many TV's I can turn off in the press of one button :smackbum:
SE1Z

Post by SE1Z »

KNAPPO wrote:I want to go into JB's or Hardley Normal with my Panasonic or Samsung profile and see how many TV's I can turn off in the press of one button :smackbum:
This has to be done.
Film it. :eyepop: :nod: :D
Steve
---
richo

Post by richo »

Yes it must be done!
[]D [] []v[] []D
KNAPPO
Master artist
Master artist

Post by KNAPPO »

Well that worked really well. Turned off a wall of 14 Samsung TV's in 3 button presses, sorry Harvey's lol. Will have to try and record it but it's a bit hard to operate 2 devices by yourself and not draw attention.
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

Cheeky bugger! Stay away from our store! :D
Shaun

Post by Shaun »

so KNAPPO other than turning off peoples TVs how have you found the S4? I should be able to upgrade in around a month and i reckon i will get the S4.
Hello :aussie:
Shonky

Post by Shonky »

Google just announced the Galaxy S4 AOSP phone at I/O for US$649 available through the Play store. :vibes:
Vilante
Master artist
Master artist

Post by Vilante »

Sick, I wonder if anyone will carry it here. Just about to change all of our work contracts to Telstra.