iPhone 5C, 5S and iOS7

All the talk regarding mobile phones, mobile internet access etc etc.
AstrO
Help Desk Expert

Re: iPhone 5C, 5S and iOS7

Post by AstrO »

w00dsy wrote:The Motorola Atrix used it, but I guess because it wasn't a popular phone no one really noticed it.
One of the features of the Atrix that made it stand out from the crowd. Still use it as my mobile broadband when I'm on the road (great battery life when you're not doing anything with it). Shame they removed the finger print reader from the newer Atrix. :(
wabbit wrote:Apple decided in order to use one or many fingerprints (either one person or multiple), you must first create a pass code. So when you do have a cut or a burnt finger (good examples) you can still unlock the phone.

I've been reading heaps of comments about this feature (pro and cons), the only thing to remember is, the fingerprint sensor doesn't replace a pass code, it's there in addition to the pass code for ease.

Lastly, if the phone is restarted or hasn't been unlocked for 48 hours you must upon first unlock use the passcode. This is for extra security in that an attacker cannot have unlimited attempts to find away around the fingerprint sensor.
Sounds all very similar to the Motorola Atrix ;)
durbster
The Whack Wasp Warrior

Post by durbster »

I did read an alarming point about fingerprint IDs the other day that's put me off the idea. Your fingers tend to stay with you most of the time so you can keep an eye on them, but a digital version of your fingerprint is something that can, in theory, be duplicated and moved.

Unlike a password, code or pattern, you can't change your fingerprint so there's very little you could do if it were possible to use that data in other ways. I can't quite work out if it's a valid concern but it certainly made me wonder.
markus

Post by markus »

durbster wrote:I did read an alarming point about fingerprint IDs the other day that's put me off the idea. Your fingers tend to stay with you most of the time so you can keep an eye on them, but a digital version of your fingerprint is something that can, in theory, be duplicated and moved.

Unlike a password, code or pattern, you can't change your fingerprint so there's very little you could do if it were possible to use that data in other ways. I can't quite work out if it's a valid concern but it certainly made me wonder.
It is a very valid concern.
Much cycling such kilometers.
wabbit

Post by wabbit »

Astro, from the quick research on Motorola's implementation is does indeed seem to be similar could be identical (not sure).

Durbs, oh hell yeah its a concern. After I chewed through Multi-factor authentication from Wikipedia, I have a much better understanding.

Biometrics falls under the section "Something only the user is".

*edit*

Regarding the iPhone 5c pre-orders, Yellow colour is the favourite;

Within 6 hours Hong Kong's delivery times slipped to 1-2 weeks
After 7 hours US deliveries slipped

Of course it's too early to tell if the price points are actually too high, or sadly set correctly (which is scary from my mind).

*edit again*

Updated the phone to the iOS7 GM. Luckily work patched their systems, so my work email, calendar and contacts still work (i'm on a BYOD pilot).
DarrenM

Post by DarrenM »

[youtube] [/youtube]
w00dsy
The Senna of Hoppers Crossing

Post by w00dsy »

wabbit wrote: Updated the phone to the iOS7 GM. Luckily work patched their systems, so my work email, calendar and contacts still work (i'm on a BYOD pilot).

my daughter is having a few software issues with her iPhone 5 so i grabbed the iOS7 GM version hoping it would fix a few of the issues, but being windows users iTunes won't recognise it until they release 11.1, so i've held off flashing it until then. Being a Mac user i assume it was fine for you because there is a beta version for that. We might just have to wait a few days for the official release.
wabbit

Post by wabbit »

Woodsy, yeah I'm lucky in that regard. I grabbed iTunes 11.1 Beta 2 (any beta would have worked, for anyone interested).

DarrenM, I'm wondering if that goes for "all" types of fingerprint scanners/readers (what ever their correct name is). I also found that Apple bought AuThenTec back in 2012, so that'll be how this feature came about (more info here about the deal and the why). Still I'm not saying this stuff is bulletproof.

Now my questions are round "finger scanners" reading the epidermis layer vs Apples implementation which reads the sub-epidermal skin layers. I'm so far out of my depth here. Much more research needed, unless someone knows someone that knows about this stuff? :D

I found this and this which might shed some light on why Mythbusters video wouldn't work on the iPhone 5s.

Astro thought you'd get a laugh out of this.
Shonky

Post by Shonky »

[youtube] [/youtube]
Bauer

Post by Bauer »

lol nice :D I lol'd at the colour bit :D
--------------
Stu
w00dsy
The Senna of Hoppers Crossing

Post by w00dsy »

[youtube] [/youtube]
wabbit

Post by wabbit »

Less than two days after Apple began its worldwide rollout of the iPhone 5s, the company's Online Apple Stores in each of the 11 countries participating in the phone's launch are showing stock outs until October
Apparently the Gold models was the first to be depleted, then the 64GB Grey model.

Edit

TouchID might be hacked http://www.ccc.de/en/updates/2013/ccc-b ... le-touchid
DarrenM

Post by DarrenM »

Seems the mythbusters technique might work afterall

http://www.buzzfeed.com/jwherrman/the-i ... een-hacked" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
wabbit

Post by wabbit »

So... the prices aren't high enough?

Apple sold 9 million iPhone 5s and 5c over 3 days. Up from 5 million record from last year.
norbs
fucking right wing vegan lesbian

Post by norbs »

wabbit wrote:So... the prices aren't high enough?

Apple sold 9 million iPhone 5s and 5c over 3 days. Up from 5 million record from last year.

As my neighbour said to me. "I don't care what it costs, Im getting one!"

Apple know that is the feeling of a lot of their followers.
Sarc ; my second favourite type of gasm.
wabbit

Post by wabbit »

At a guess whats your thoughts on percentage of followers out of the 9M units sold?

I don't know the answer, just wondering.
norbs
fucking right wing vegan lesbian

Post by norbs »

wabbit wrote:At a guess whats your thoughts on percentage of followers out of the 9M units sold?

I don't know the answer, just wondering.

Not the foggiest idea.

I reckon there would be studies done though. There would be a lot of people not wanting to change because that is what they know. eg. my wife. People like my neighbour who basically shit cash. And then the hard core zealots who say anything not "i" is fucked.

i keep seeing graphs of Androids inroads into the market, but if Apple are selling the 5S like they are, why would they care? They will most likely always be the biggest. Android is a shared market after all. Having said that, I remember saying Nokia would never fall from #1. :)
Sarc ; my second favourite type of gasm.
Exar Kun
Sensible Mick

Post by Exar Kun »

I think Samsung sell more phones than Apple do now so the shared market thing may not apply so much anymore. Samsung do, of course, sell a lot more than just the Galaxy S so I guess Apple are looking to cash in on that and have a few more models on the market at the one time.
"If we can hit that bull's-eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!"
wabbit

Post by wabbit »

All I've got data for is the US, which is roughly equal to EU5 (top 5 EU countries).

In 2012, 50% were repeat buyers. Thus the die hard fanatics must be a percentage of that 50%.

https://mobile.twitter.com/SamsungMobil ... gMobileME&

Also HTC is apparently going to do a gold version of one of their phone too.