Samsung Galaxy Round

All the talk regarding mobile phones, mobile internet access etc etc.
Big Kev
Clean as a Whistle
Clean as a Whistle

Samsung Galaxy Round

Post by Big Kev »

Aaaaaaand the next pointless idea for a phone is.....

Make it slightly curved! W0000!

Samsung GALAXY ROUND Pioneers the Curved Display Smartphone Experience

New device presents world's first commercialized full HD Super AMOLED flexible display

Seoul, Korea - October 9, 2013 - Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd. today introduced GALAXY ROUND, the world's first curved display smartphone. Samsung has been a mobile display innovator by introducing color TFT-LCD, AMOLED, and Super AMOLED flexible display for its mobile product. With this pioneering curved display technology, GALAXY ROUND blends the latest smartphone screen innovations with unique design features. The sleek and thin Samsung GALAXY ROUND which equipped with a 5.7" Full HD Super AMOLED with 7.9mm thick and weighs 154g offers a comfortable hand grip feeling to user, and exclusive experiences of curved display.

As a result of its unique curved design, users can take advantage of round integration experiences like the Roll Effect that enables user to check information such as date, time, missed call and battery easily when home screen is off, and the Gravity Effect for creating visual interaction with the screen by tilting the device. For music, the Bounce UX enables users to control their music. When the GALAXY ROUND's display is off while the music player is running, a short press to the left of the device will play the previous track while a short press to the right will play the next track. For pictures and videos, the Side Mirror feature enables users to gain access to list of the album content with a left and right tilt.

The large screen size of the GALAXY ROUND provides additional benefits to users. Useful One-Hand Operation features bring a user's most desired controls closer to a preferred side of the screen. The device enables enhanced multitasking capabilities that allow users to fully utilize the larger screen through Multi Window, a feature that enables users to open more than one application on the screen, run simultaneous multiple instances of the same application or to easily share content between applications.

Samsung GALAXY ROUND is available in Korea with Luxury Brown, and more color will be available soon.

* All functionality, features, specifications, and other product information provided in this document including, but not limited to, the benefits, design, pricing, components, performance, availability, and capabilities of the product are subject to change without notice or obligation.
[youtube] [/youtube]
ARSE Biscuits! Driftu Kingu!
My Flickr Stream
richo

Re: Samsung Galaxy Round

Post by richo »

Umm yes that is right up there with ejector seats in helicopters and the Nokia N-Gage, Still innovation in all shapes and forms is to be encouraged the good and the bad.
[]D [] []v[] []D
Exar Kun
Sensible Mick

Post by Exar Kun »

Hopefully a step towards commercially available flexible or foldable screens but otherwise seems pretty pointless.
"If we can hit that bull's-eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!"
pixelboy

Post by pixelboy »

My galaxy Nexus is slightly curved but from top to bottom.. It's awesome. But curved left to right is just dumb!
eek
matticooper

Post by matticooper »

would fit in yer pocket better in my opinion.
wabbit

Post by wabbit »

I'm wondering if it makes large phones any easier to hold. Is it actually any shorter on that axis?
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

I'm pretty sure there has been ejector seats in helicopters before.

Sent from Han Solo using TK-421's phone.
r8response
Cry baby
Cry baby

Post by r8response »

The Kamov Ka-50 had explosive bolts on the blades which allowed the pilots to eject without losing the noggin.
richo

Post by richo »

I was born in an age when they didn't :)

Fooking pedants! :D
[]D [] []v[] []D
Shonky

Post by Shonky »

Meh, is it just me waiting for the Nexus 5 announcement next week?

Sent from my GT-I9100
KNAPPO
Master artist
Master artist

Post by KNAPPO »

Nope, if I hadn't got my S4 ide be all over that Nexus 5.
Life is hard...but, life is harder when you're dumb.
Santaria

Post by Santaria »

I'm up for a new phone I reckon. I love my Galaxy Nexus, hopefully the Nexus 5 will be the goods to upgrade to next.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus
Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561197999720352]Image[/url]
wabbit

Post by wabbit »

You blokes have seen the manual leaked and whatnot for the Nexus 5?
Shonky

Post by Shonky »

Yeah had a good look at that. :)

Sent from my GT-I9100
richo

Post by richo »

Looking at a Galaxy Tab 3 as my S2 is out of contract any , Anyone thoughts good or bad ?

I asked the same question in the Bathurst forum by accident or stupidity and could the two "gentlemen" that offered so much good advice not help me anymore today :)
[]D [] []v[] []D
pixelboy

Post by pixelboy »

I'm buying a Nexus 5 the minute it goes on sale!
eek
wabbit

Post by wabbit »

Pix, do you sell your old devices quickly/often?

And I found this interesting http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2013/10/ ... -displays/
Shonky

Post by Shonky »

pixelboy wrote:I'm buying a Nexus 5 the minute it goes on sale!
That's pretty much the same for me, I'm over my GS2 and all the bloatware that Samsung want to install now, push service, chat on, etc, they can keep it, if only the 3rd party devs could come up with a ROM that didn't have some flaw that kept me going back to the Samsung ROM as the daily driver I might feel different.
pixelboy

Post by pixelboy »

wabbit wrote:Pix, do you sell your old devices quickly/often
I don't actually buy any of them, work does.. We make iPhone and android apps so my old Galaxy Nexus will become a test phone.

In my drawer at work I have.. 2 iPhone 3's, 2 iPhone 4's, a HTC Wildfire, Desire and One XL, Samsung Galaxy S (ex smithcorp), SGS2, an Ipad 1, 2 and 4 and a 2012 Nexus 7. Keeping them all charged during test phases is fun!
eek
Durrie

Post by Durrie »

richo wrote:Looking at a Galaxy Tab 3 as my S2 is out of contract any , Anyone thoughts good or bad ?

I asked the same question in the Bathurst forum by accident or stupidity and could the two "gentlemen" that offered so much good advice not help me anymore today :)
Awww.

Tab 3 looks a bit big for use as a phone. Although I suppose that depends upon what ever it is that gets you wet.

I'll also be interested to see the Nexus 5. I'm still using my Nexus which has been the best phone I've had. The main reason I got it, however, was to receive system updates directly from Google/Android per the sales hype. Never happened, at least here in Australia (still when via Telstra). Still, I'll be intereted to see what the Nexus 5 has that might induce me to get one.
dvestate
Prize Winning ARSE

Post by dvestate »

This would sit nicely against my leg in the pocket
durbster
The Whack Wasp Warrior

Post by durbster »

Thinking about this a bit more, I think this is actually a better shape for a phone in ergonomic terms. Considering your hand is naturally curved it does actually make some sense to have the phone follow that.

I'm not sure how it'll work in reality though, particularly with reflections and things like that.