Nexus 5

All the talk regarding mobile phones, mobile internet access etc etc.
NeilPearson
Prize Winning ARSE

Re: Nexus 5

Post by NeilPearson »

noooooooooooooooooo
Shonky

Post by Shonky »

Awwwwww.....I want to keep my nostalgic power down.
w00dsy
The Senna of Hoppers Crossing

Post by w00dsy »

There'll be an xposed module sooner or later than will bring it back, once they can get it working on ART.
Shonky

Post by Shonky »

How are folks finding 5.0? I'm about ready to do a factory reset since it's been a bit hit and miss with reliability for me since the upgrade, getting the odd crash here and there and some audio issues with bluetooth which I can't really pinpoint the cause, it's probably just the typical incompatibilities that comes with each update. Do you reckon the reset is worth the effort?
NeilPearson
Prize Winning ARSE

Post by NeilPearson »

Yeah... When I installed it the 2nd time it worked a lot better for.me
Santaria

Post by Santaria »

Did a fresh install wasn't going to fool around with it with the amount of crap I had on my phone. It's been flawless. Battery life has appeared to increase significantly and I get a decent run out of it now up to about a day and a half.

Very happy with the new software. The only thing is my headphone jack can be faulty intermittently as it gets used a lot and sits in my pocket so the cord get hammered a lot. Never really happened on my Galaxy Nexus though. Don't know how much longer it'll last before it's completely buggered though.
Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561197999720352]Image[/url]
Shonky

Post by Shonky »

Sounds like I'll need to find some time and do some backups and reset the thing then, I'm half tempted to go back to 4.4.4 just because it worked pretty flawlessly apart from the dodgy GPS issues I had and so far the UI updates in 5.0 aren't doing a whole lot for me, but I'll stick it out for a little longer.
pixelboy

Post by pixelboy »

I'm not all of the changes are for the best but my phone has been pretty stable on lollipop.
eek
Shonky

Post by Shonky »

Quick question for you guys regarding Chrome on Android, anyone notice since going to Lollipop that when you open Chrome it reloads the last page that was open and you can't make any changes to the URL until that page has finished loading? I'm not sure if this change came with Lollipop or a Chrome update but it's been driving me batty.
Santaria

Post by Santaria »

Shonky wrote:Quick question for you guys regarding Chrome on Android, anyone notice since going to Lollipop that when you open Chrome it reloads the last page that was open and you can't make any changes to the URL until that page has finished loading? I'm not sure if this change came with Lollipop or a Chrome update but it's been driving me batty.
Chrome since the update just does my head in. No idea why they chose the way they did for tabs etc. Makes no sense.

Sent from my Nexus 5
Shonky

Post by Shonky »

Ok I had to Google the new tab thing, did a factory reset last night in the hope to get over all the buggy shit I've been putting up with, not sure if I like it or not San, I think it's easier than what it used to be, hit the app drawer and select the other tab, one less action to do the same thing would be the reason for it I reckon.

Check in the setting San for an option regarding tabs, I had a notification when starting Chrome the first time telling me I could disable it there.
Santaria

Post by Santaria »

Shonky wrote:Ok I had to Google the new tab thing, did a factory reset last night in the hope to get over all the buggy shit I've been putting up with, not sure if I like it or not San, I think it's easier than what it used to be, hit the app drawer and select the other tab, one less action to do the same thing would be the reason for it I reckon.

Check in the setting San for an option regarding tabs, I had a notification when starting Chrome the first time telling me I could disable it there.
Fantastic! Thanks mate. It's back to what it was before. Much happier.
Shonky

Post by Shonky »

5.0.1 (LRX22C) factory images are up!

https://developers.google.com/android/nexus/images" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Brett_S

Post by Brett_S »

Just in time for me to smash the screen.... now deciding what to do about it. Repair or Replace.
This is the way the world works, if you want want to find some quality friends you have to wade through all the d**ks first - Eric Cartman
Shonky

Post by Shonky »

I think I found a bug, the alarm clock will only play the factory tunes for me, can't get it to be play the wma file I usually use, anyone else noticed this?
w00dsy

Post by w00dsy »

I was running 5.0.1 on my HTC One and I couldn't use anything other than the factory sounds for the alarm.
Shonky

Post by Shonky »

I figured it out, I wasn't using the correct file, the one I was using is an mp3 and the alarm will play these ok.

To set the alarm as an mp3 woodsy I use ES File Explorer instead of Media Storage when prompted to choose the default action, if you don't get the set a default prompt I imagine you either have to install ES File Explorer or reset the defaults for the alarm clock somehow.
w00dsy

Post by w00dsy »

Cool thanks. I just went back to 4.4 because I had a lot of people saying they could hardly hear me during a call, and I couldn't find a solution to it. But in the 4.4 ROM there's an option to turn off noise suppression.
Shonky

Post by Shonky »

Yeah, I'm not far off going back myself, just too many problems with this release for me to like it, that and the dialler is steaming pile of shit, I'm not sure how I manage it but I seem to put people on hold straight after I've dialled or answered a number.
w00dsy

Post by w00dsy »

There's a lot I like about lollipop bit I'm thinking of waiting until 5.1 until I go full time with it.
KNAPPO
Master artist
Master artist

Post by KNAPPO »

Im liking 5.0.1 on the Nexus 7, today my moto 360 received the 5.0.1 OTA and the smart lock feature is very handy.
My phone is still a S4 on KitKat and im thinking of getting a moto G 2nd gen* to play with L as a daily driver until I decide what 2015 flagship to get. Im out of contract in March but want to hold out till November 2015 in hope for a N5 ver2.

Could go a few ways to get rid of my S4 and get onto Android L as a daily, which is my aim, for as cheap as possible.

Root the i9505 S4 with the GPE rom.
Nexus 5 (ideal but don't have the cash hence trying to hold out till Nov 15)
Moto G 2nd Gen (bit cheaper than the N5. I have $300 Flybuys cash that can cover the device purchase but ill need a new SD as its only 32gb and I have a 64)
Life is hard...but, life is harder when you're dumb.
Shonky

Post by Shonky »

Well I'm back on 4.4.4 now, too many problems but the deal breaker in the end that I couldn't live with was the inability to transfer the contacts through bluetooth to the factory hands free head unit in my car. No amount of pissing round with settings would make it work, even reset the head unit in the vehicle by disconnecting the battery and pairing it again, all to no avail, like woodsy I'll revisit it down the track if I see a specific fix for the problem I have.
pixelboy

Post by pixelboy »

It seems that Google rushed this one out and have missed a lot of the edge cases.

There is a lot of the ui that I don't totally agree with but largely I'm enjoying it.
eek
NeilPearson
Prize Winning ARSE

Post by NeilPearson »

Fucking Telstra.

I have the stay connect plan, and my Nexus 5 is fucked. I smashed it the other day and its truly broken. camera fails, screens smashed, it hangs and over heats. most broken i have ever seen a phone. So i ring them up, "sorry we cant get you that phone its discontinued how about a galaxy S4" thats the phone i replaced the nexus 5 with! wtf.

They also suggested a Sony Experia Z1, which i am interested in more than an S4. im going to push them to void the contract somehow and just start a new contract, see if i can get a Sony Experia Z3 maybe. see if I can. Dont like my chances.
Shonky

Post by Shonky »

I received a 5.01 update request through Telstra this morning, only took them 2 months to get it through testing. :rolleyes:

Still won't be installing it. :nod: