Nexus 5

All the talk regarding mobile phones, mobile internet access etc etc.
Shonky

Re: Nexus 5

Post by Shonky »

Damn you Google, changing the Nexus over because of the GPS issues was a bust, still can't hold a signal while moving at speed so instead of buying Sygic I think I'll just grab a dedicated unit and move on.
pixelboy

Post by pixelboy »

Your unit must have a problem as I've never had that problem!
eek
Shonky

Post by Shonky »

How have you found it once you get away from the city for navigation?

If I set it to device only it can stay locked on a bit more reliably, but in high accuracy mode where it uses wifi, phone network and gps combined it all goes to shit. If my unit has a problem, it's 2 phones that have had the same problem, maybe the windows in my car are made of tin sheet, who knows, but I've had a gutful of trying to fix it.
pixelboy

Post by pixelboy »

Don't think I have ever put it into high accuracy mode.. Works fine in the country.. Maybe I've never tried outside mobile phone range.
eek
Shonky

Post by Shonky »

It has got me stumped, I was hoping I could get the GPS in the phone reliable enough for the rare occasion I need to use it for navigation and just buy an app to do the job rather than hanging one off the screen. Maybe being connected to BT doing audio/handsfree duties at the same time is all too much for it to handle and the GPS chip loses priority to other things, or there is some software causing an issue but I'm just speculating now, I feel the price for a dedicated GPS is less now than the time I've wasted trying to fix it.
dvestate
Prize Winning ARSE

Post by dvestate »

So saw the update notification for Lollipop this morning and figured I would update.

All fine until I go to mute my phone for a meeting..... No bloody mute, so there it is vibrating away. Massive pain in the arse at night as I am now going to have to turn off notifications or turn the whole thing off :(

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
Shonky

Post by Shonky »

That's not good, I've been reading about a few strange problems people are having with L on the nexus 5, at this point I'll probably ignore the update notification when I see it till things are a bit more of a known quantity.

Unfortunately Google have given me little faith in their ability to fix bugs, I'm still having the GPS problems after getting a replacement phone earlier in the year, if L fixes the GPS issue I might be inclined to update but there's not much else pushing me into it.
NeilPearson
Prize Winning ARSE

Post by NeilPearson »

I installed it straight away as I was running the L preview anyway... I'm getting this horrid font. And its a pain in the arse. Look at the usernames in the screenshot...

Shonky

Post by Shonky »

Are you only seeing that in tapatalk Neil, or is it all over the place? Looks like a problem with tapatalk not being 100% compatible yet.
NeilPearson
Prize Winning ARSE

Post by NeilPearson »

Its everywhere :(

It wasnt on the preview either. I'd say the system font is corrupted.. Can't seem to find anywhere to change it.

Shonky

Post by Shonky »

Performed a cache wipe since the update?
NeilPearson
Prize Winning ARSE

Post by NeilPearson »

hmmmn the plot thickens... looks like if you install Lollipop on a rooted device it breaks recovery, unless you flash a new one over the top. which i didnt.. because lazy.

so ill have to fix that before I can peform a cache wipe...
NeilPearson
Prize Winning ARSE

Post by NeilPearson »

Cache wipe did nothing. So I went extreme. Reinstalled kit Kat and then installed lollipop again. Much much much better...
Shonky

Post by Shonky »

Good to hear you got it sorted Neil, there's a few little gotchas like that with this update, I've read of one instance where on the Nexus 7 (original) if you have a boot block earlier than a specific version and you flash the Lollipop image you brick the device and there's no going back from it, the thing is a bin job.
Brett_S

Post by Brett_S »

Tip for those on Telstra and haven't got the Lollipop OTA update - replace the SIM with another carrier and check for a system update. For some reason the update wont come through on Telstra.
This is the way the world works, if you want want to find some quality friends you have to wade through all the d**ks first - Eric Cartman
Shonky

Post by Shonky »

Do you know if that is for a Telstra sourced phone only, or even a Play store sourced phone with a Telstra sim in it?

Just thinking if I pull the sim out and then just connect via wifi would bypass the limitation.
Brett_S

Post by Brett_S »

Shonky wrote:Do you know if that is for a Telstra sourced phone only, or even a Play store sourced phone with a Telstra sim in it?

Just thinking if I pull the sim out and then just connect via wifi would bypass the limitation.
Both mine and the wife's phones were purchased through the Play store so I'm not sure if it works for Telstra supplied phones.

We had to put a sim in it tho (had a spare one we got when we were in Hong Kong) - didn't work with nothing in there and just a wifi connection. Not sure why.
This is the way the world works, if you want want to find some quality friends you have to wade through all the d**ks first - Eric Cartman
NeilPearson
Prize Winning ARSE

Post by NeilPearson »

Why not just flash the ota manually?
Santaria

Post by Santaria »

My wife's old smashed Nexus 5 that we use for music (no sim) got the OTA update about 3-4 days ago. I'm still waiting for mine. I've removed the sim for the day and still nothing.
Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561197999720352]Image[/url]
Brett_S

Post by Brett_S »

NeilPearson wrote:Why not just flash the ota manually?
Lazy :)

Plus you had heaps of problems and that scared me off :P

I would have done it a while ago but never got the time.
NeilPearson
Prize Winning ARSE

Post by NeilPearson »

I came from the L Preview. And that caused my issues I believe. Also its piss easy.. You run a .bat file in windows...
Shonky

Post by Shonky »

Santaria wrote:My wife's old smashed Nexus 5 that we use for music (no sim) got the OTA update about 3-4 days ago. I'm still waiting for mine. I've removed the sim for the day and still nothing.
Tried the no sim trick but no go. Might try and find a sim from another provider, but I'll probably just wait for Telstra to pull their finger out, fuck knows why they limit the update for phones not bought through them.
Santaria

Post by Santaria »

Shonky wrote:
Santaria wrote:My wife's old smashed Nexus 5 that we use for music (no sim) got the OTA update about 3-4 days ago. I'm still waiting for mine. I've removed the sim for the day and still nothing.
Tried the no sim trick but no go. Might try and find a sim from another provider, but I'll probably just wait for Telstra to pull their finger out, fuck knows why they limit the update for phones not bought through them.
I decided my phone needed a wipe. I took the sim out, wiped, skipped all the sign I and setup steps and the update was almost instant. Sitting on L now. It's not bad!

A $2 sim from the servo will do what you need it to do Shonky.
Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561197999720352]Image[/url]
SE1Z

Post by SE1Z »

My Nexus 4 got the update notification this morning.
Steve
---
SE1Z

Post by SE1Z »

hmmm so... one very unfortunate by-product of updating my N4.

When I lock it via the power button, the old fashioned 'like a tv/old monitor' screen shut down has been replaced with a fade out....
Not cool!
Steve
---