HTC One M8 and its wicked new case

All the talk regarding mobile phones, mobile internet access etc etc.
w00dsy
The Senna of Hoppers Crossing

HTC One M8 and its wicked new case

Post by w00dsy »

I never thought a case would make me want to buy a phone but this is actually a cool new feature.

[youtube] [/youtube]
Last edited by w00dsy on Thu Mar 27, 2014 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Exar Kun
Sensible Mick

Re: HTC One M8 and its wicked new case

Post by Exar Kun »

I've had a Desire and then a OneXL so when my contract is up in a couple of months I'll probably move onto this. Great looking phone. HTC stuff always feels more solid to me than the equivalent Galaxy.
"If we can hit that bull's-eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!"
w00dsy

Post by w00dsy »

people have started porting the M8's Sense 6 rom to the M7, so i put it on today. They've done a great job of keeping what was good and adding a few new things, plus a slight redesign to give it a bit more color. Sense 5 was a bit too black and white. The other thing i like about HTC is they don't stuff about when a new version of android comes out. It was only a month or two after 4.4.2 came out that they rolled out their version. Some manufacturers like Samsung and Sony really drag their feet.
Jamo

Post by Jamo »

Love HTC, brilliant pieces of Kit. My Desire HD was probably the best phone I've ever used and it literally saved me from crippling injury and possibly death in my big bike crash. Alas it did not survive itself.
Moved to the then brand spanking new One X which I've loved almost as much, though it tends to overheat and do strange things these days. I see one of these in my future.
I drink a great deal, I sleep a little and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two hundred percent form - Sir Winston Churchill
Exar Kun
Sensible Mick

Post by Exar Kun »

Jamo wrote: Moved to the then brand spanking new One X which I've loved almost as much, though it tends to overheat and do strange things these days. I see one of these in my future.
My OneXL does similar. For no apparent reason it seems to go off on a runaway chain reaction and overheat and kill the battery. Then it'll be fine again. I've never been able to find a process or app that's the culprit either.
"If we can hit that bull's-eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!"
Vilante
Master artist
Master artist

Post by Vilante »

That looks sweet! I've had HTC's for 3 years and love them. HTC One is my current beast, love it.
NeilPearson
Prize Winning ARSE

Post by NeilPearson »

It seems to have the power button on the top. Thats someting I cant do, I have a work phone (LG POS) that has it there and it is a nightmare.

Other than that that case is fantastic! wow!
w00dsy

Post by w00dsy »

i found it weird going from Samsung side button to HTC top button but it makes no difference now.
wabbit

Post by wabbit »

NeilPearson wrote:It seems to have the power button on the top. Thats someting I cant do, I have a work phone (LG POS) that has it there and it is a nightmare.
I think on the HTCs you just double tap the screen and it wakes up, rather than having to use the power button.
NeilPearson
Prize Winning ARSE

Post by NeilPearson »

Hmm I actually looked at my work phone and its a HTC velocity 4g.

Sadly I can't double tap to unlock. Its running really old firmware.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
w00dsy

Post by w00dsy »

I think it's only the new M8 that does it.
wabbit

Post by wabbit »

Ahh ok :)
Jamo

Post by Jamo »

Got my new M8 today. Blimey it's big, not Galaxy big but big. Gonna take some getting used too.
I drink a great deal, I sleep a little and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two hundred percent form - Sir Winston Churchill
Exar Kun
Sensible Mick

Post by Exar Kun »

I got one a couple of weeks ago too and yep, it's huge. I laughed that the One Mini is about the same size of my OneXL - how does that work?

Anyway, new phone is great. Piece of piss upgrading since I went from HTC to HTC. All of my apps and wifi settings, backgrounds, ringtones etc just synced up and ready to go. From walking into the Telstra store to having my phone ready to use with all of my old settings took about 30 minutes. It actually comes with a rubber case which is nice to have included.
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

$50 for a case?
And It tells you the time and the weather, too! Hey, it saves me the trouble of looking up! :)
It "adds value, not just a gimmick"? Sorry, what it does is a reduced amount of functionality compared to no-case. That's not added value. It's the very definition of a gimmick.

Eh, I've seen worse lies in the industry. :lol:

Having said that; how does this phone compare to the S5 & the galaxy note3 is the big question to me. I'm eyeing those, but can't decide. Plus I'm hoping the prices will drop a bit - sooner rather than later.
Both have the new toy tax on them, currently.
Surprise, no sig. Now there is. Or is there?
Jamo

Post by Jamo »

Anyone got any recommendations for a good free MP3 player app?

Tried one called FreeMP which looks like a continuation of dearly departed Winamp but it's utter shit. Didn't even pick up a bunch of my albums and mixed em all up.
r8response
Cry baby
Cry baby

Post by r8response »

Jamo wrote:Anyone got any recommendations for a good free MP3 player app?

Tried one called FreeMP which looks like a continuation of dearly departed Winamp but it's utter shit. Didn't even pick up a bunch of my albums and mixed em all up.

Continue to use Winamp?
Santaria

Post by Santaria »

Jamo wrote:Anyone got any recommendations for a good free MP3 player app?

I use PowerAmp and ended up buying it. Best music app in my opinion.
Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561197999720352]Image[/url]
w00dsy

Post by w00dsy »

What's wing with the default player? I really dig it on my M7.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
Jamo

Post by Jamo »

Hate the default player, couldn't find Winamp on the Android Market but after R8's prompting dug it up. Ta.

Must say first full day of use at work and not liking so far, don't get me wrong it's a stonking piece of kit but it's just too freaking big. Feels like a brick in my pocket.