I got a Windows phone...

All the talk regarding mobile phones, mobile internet access etc etc.
Dr. Pain

I got a Windows phone...

Post by Dr. Pain »

A Nokia 630 and it's my first phone since a Nokia 6610 almost a decade ago. It is lacking some hardware in terms of only one camera, 5 MP rear facing. There's no flash, no motion sensor, no touch to wake up and being a windows phone, not a lot of apps. It does have a 128 GB micro SD card slot and it was cheap. $227 from Hardly Normal. I don't have a sim card in it yet but I have been using it to record my walks and appointments. Sync's with my Microsoft account so I have no excuse for missing appointments ect... if I make an entry.

I like windows 8.1 so easy for me to use which is why I got it and the price was great. Cheap and cheerful. I didn't really want to spend a fortune, or get on a plan. Hell I didn't even know if I really wanted a phone. But now I have so all good.

I'm a real n00b with phones so got some learning to do like texting. :yikes:
Minister for Religious Genocide.
Unforgiven

Re: I got a Windows phone...

Post by Unforgiven »

We've got a Nokia 1020 which my lovely bride decided that she wanted in November last year.

She has since decided that it is crap due to lack of apps etc. so we paid out the contract and got a Samsung. Now we have a Nokia to sell

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
They should make sham wow stubbie holders so if ya spill ya beer you can soak it straight up and put it back in the stubbie
Dr. Pain

Post by Dr. Pain »

Lack of app's is it's biggest downfall I feel. That didn't worry me though when I got mine. It seems very common that people don't worry about developing for windows as Apple and Android have the market.
Crowella

Post by Crowella »

Unforgiven wrote:We've got a Nokia 1020 which my lovely bride decided that she wanted in November last year.

She has since decided that it is crap due to lack of apps etc. so we paid out the contract and got a Samsung. Now we have a Nokia to sell
How much? You'll have a buyer. :yes:

I need to jump out of Windows Phone 7.5 because they're starting to remove support (no Skype means less work)
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

I sold my Lumia 1320 this week for $300. Was happy with that since I didn't pay for it.
Crowella

Post by Crowella »

I caved and got a new phone, from one Windows Phone to the next... Nokia Lumia 930.

Quite impressed with how fast it is and I'm liking the larger display and the move from Windows Phone 7.5 to 8.1. Fixed a lot of gripes I had with the old one, especially regarding connecting through Zune which was broken at the best of times.
markus

Post by markus »

Dr. Pain wrote:Lack of app's is it's biggest downfall I feel. That didn't worry me though when I got mine. It seems very common that people don't worry about developing for windows as Apple and Android have the market.
Not targeting you specifically, but which apps are all you "lack of apps" people missing ? I'm asking out of honest curiosity. I had an iPhone until the home button broke and I decided that 1000 euros for a phone is ridiculous when I can get a nice Nokia 820 for 1/4th of the price.

The Apple apps I used were podcasts, navigation, email, calendar, evernote, 1password, weather, iTunes remote, alarms, timer, easypark (for car park payment), flickr, caller id, lync, Skype, package tracking (post, ups etc), airplane gate info. I'm sure there were couple more that I can't think of just now. All of those either have the exact same app or a good alternative or I can easily live without. The lack of vpn is a huge downfall though (yes, I know it has some form of vpn but not one of those our company uses).

In fact the lack of apps did bother me so little that I have since given the 820 to my wife and got me the 1020 just because of the camera.
Much cycling such kilometers.
Crowella

Post by Crowella »

Well, there's no Tinder. :p

But I had to cave in because they removed support for Skype in Windows Phone 7.5. With the exception of that, I don't think there is any application I miss or could say is missing.

I also tried to get the 1020 but Optus stopped stocking them.
Dr. Pain

Post by Dr. Pain »

I was looking at a Nokia 1020 too because of it's camera but then I bought a digital SLR instead. As for lack of apps, well strava is one that's not available but the phone has tracking software already installed. My mate is an android user and my niece has an iphone and compared to them there is a lot of apps not for windows phone. Not that I really care too much about that but if anyone was reading the thread and considering a new phone, best to check if your favourite apps are available for it.

There is a very cool virtual dart app for iphone and ipad. Darts are on the phone and the dart board is the ipad and you use wifi to play darts. It's something I cant do as there is no apps but also my phone had no motion sensor. I'm new to smart phones so can't really give a better example of more apps not available.
markus

Post by markus »

Strava is easy, they even have a dedicated forum for workarounds and 3rd party alternatives.
Much cycling such kilometers.
Dr. Pain

Post by Dr. Pain »

I did find that a few weeks ago. The software on the phone does what I want though so all good there.