iPhone 6 and 6 Plus

All the talk regarding mobile phones, mobile internet access etc etc.
Big Kev
Clean as a Whistle
Clean as a Whistle

iPhone 6 and 6 Plus

Post by Big Kev »

New phones announced by Apple today.

4.7in iPhone 6 and 5.5in iPhone 6 Plus

4.7-inch iPhone 6 features a 1334 x 750 display at 326 pixels-per-inch while the iPhone 6 Plus features a 1920 x 1080 display at 401 ppi
NFC tied in with a new payment method called ApplePay which they're rolling out to stores across the US. Phone acts as a transactor for your credit card but doesn't store the info about the card.

6plus is £80 dearer than 6 (pretty much same price as the 5S was).
5S drops £50
5C drops £100 to the price it should have been to begin with £319
4S quietly dropped.
ARSE Biscuits! Driftu Kingu!
My Flickr Stream
norbs
fucking right wing vegan lesbian

Re: iPhone 6 and 6 Plus

Post by norbs »

No innovations again? I was expecting some huge new feature.

What have that bought out in this phone that others dont have already?
Sarc ; my second favourite type of gasm.
r8response
Cry baby
Cry baby

Post by r8response »

norbs wrote:What have that bought out in this phone that others don't have already?
Nothing at all.

Seems accurate enough..

People will still lap it up though.
Last edited by r8response on Wed Sep 10, 2014 7:57 am, edited 2 times in total.
Crowella

Post by Crowella »

Nothing that I can think of.

They're playing catch up now. The larger screen variant took them long enough and I would say probably going to be a more popular option, or at least I would like it to be.
norbs

Post by norbs »

The only plus I can see is it might help NFC into the mainstream.
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

Can't wait for mine. :yes:
plastik8

Post by plastik8 »

Little bit of a disappointment - nothing new and nothing that was not already rumoured. I would've loved to see sapphire glass screens and wireless charging.

I'm at the end of my contract hence will be grabbing one still... Now just need to decide which one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561197971333750]Image[/url]
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

I always thought the sapphire crystal rumour would likely not happen. High quality mechanical watches use it, and apart from the precision moving parts, and attention to detail in finishing, it's one of the other reasons they are expensive. I'd imagine a 4.7" or 5.5" screen made of the stuff would be pretty damn pricey to manufacture. The Apple Watch I hear has a sapphire face of sorts. I'd think if it was going to be a phone screen, it would be some kind of a composite...

5.5" is too big for me.... I'll grab a 4.7", just need to decide on 64GB or 128GB.
Exar Kun
Sensible Mick

Post by Exar Kun »

Looks like it will keep current iphone users happy but it's hardly going to convert android users to Apple.
"If we can hit that bull's-eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!"
norbs

Post by norbs »

Exar Kun wrote:Looks like it will keep current iphone users happy but it's hardly going to convert android users to Apple.
According to some internal research stuff at work, it is Apple's biggest problem. There are way more people going to Android from Apple than the other way currently.
KNAPPO
Master artist
Master artist

Post by KNAPPO »

The iWatch is really disappointing given Apple is suppose to be good at hardware design.
Life is hard...but, life is harder when you're dumb.
nutty
Spam King
Spam King

Post by nutty »

I think my only disappointment was that we knew everything.
As someone who works heavily with large enterprise and government in mobility, the changing is iOS 8 are actually the more appealing and will help us improve the enterprise integration.

I do like the form factor choices tho.. we currently run at ~95% saturation of iOS with ~100,000 devices, so having choice will at least improve the end user experience.
wobblysauce
Seen it, Done it, Invented it!

Post by wobblysauce »

Some play it safe on the merry-go-round, others go for the thrills of the roller-coaster.

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ vs ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

I have a joke for you. I have a prediction that you are going to walk into a bar, my prediction was wrong and your wallet is gone.
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

How do they claim that?? Xbox One and PS4 are 1080p... same res.
w00dsy
The Senna of Hoppers Crossing

Post by w00dsy »

Any word on battery size?
KNAPPO
Master artist
Master artist

Post by KNAPPO »

DexterPunk wrote:How do they claim that?? Xbox One and PS4 are 1080p... same res.

Are they referring to pixel density. Its a odd statement to make given they are the same resolution.
Shonky

Post by Shonky »

DexterPunk wrote:How do they claim that?? Xbox One and PS4 are 1080p... same res.
This is Apple, never let the truth get in the way of a good story.
Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

KNAPPO wrote:

Are they referring to pixel density. Its a odd statement to make given they are the same resolution.
Yeah I reckon they are trying to claim that their DPI is better than what a console is usually connected, i.e. a big screen HDTV. But of course it has to be as the iPhone screen is so much smaller.
I feel it's just typical marketing hype to stretch the truth in their favour for the not so tech savy. We all know it's not just apple that does this, is it now...

As for the iPhone6, well I'd still have one over an Android any day.
But I think I'm the only one here that doesn't mind the locked in system of an iPhone.
From past experience I just like the simplicity & that there is not a lot of setting things up, everything works in a way you expect them to right of the bat.
Last edited by Duke on Wed Sep 10, 2014 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dukester

norbs diplomacy lesson 101: "If I was putting words in your mouth, you'd know."
markus

Post by markus »

norbs wrote:The only plus I can see is it might help NFC into the mainstream.
I don't see any plus in NFC - unless you count that I can steal your money from a close enough distance :tilt:
Much cycling such kilometers.
NeilPearson
Prize Winning ARSE

Post by NeilPearson »

Shonky wrote:
we are holding our PS4's and Xbones wrong.
KNAPPO
Master artist
Master artist

Post by KNAPPO »

I had to look up Eli Hodapp for more on this.
" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

Oh yeah it would be DPI.... that's stupid, you don't look at a TV from 10 inches away from your face.

Not the only one Flinty. I prefer iOS.
Shonky

Post by Shonky »

Shonky wrote:
It's odd to quote one's self I know, but I better correct myself now that I've had a chance to read more into it, this guy is not Apple as I expected with a remark like that, he's just someone trolling to drum up visits to his website 'Toucharcade'. We all know that resolution means squat anyway, an iPhone 6 could render a scene with 100 polys in it at 4K res, but the next gen consoles could do 10 times the polys at the same resolution I'd imagine.
Eli as been obsessed with mobile gaming his entire life. Originally starting with Tiger Electronics handhelds, graduating to the original Game Boy, and upgrading to nearly every handheld platform leading up to modern day portables.
Big Kev
Clean as a Whistle
Clean as a Whistle

Post by Big Kev »

norbs wrote:No innovations again? I was expecting some huge new feature.

What have that bought out in this phone that others dont have already?
The trouble with expecting innovation is that I don't think there's much left to put on them. They can already do everything.

I might be an a-typical user but I hate this trend towards bigger phones. I think they could really steal a march with an iphone nano. If you can't fit it in your pocket, it's not a phone, it's a tablet and you generally look a cock using it as a phone.

I don't think NFC has particularly taken off so I'm not bothered at them being late adding that. Most of the stuff on that nexus comparison either isn't relevant to most people or is scraping the barrel for a fanboy put down. I'm sure if someone was bothered they could write one the other way round for stuff the iphone has but the nexus doesn't.
ARSE Biscuits! Driftu Kingu!
My Flickr Stream
durbster
The Whack Wasp Warrior

Post by durbster »

Big Kev wrote: I'm sure if someone was bothered they could write one the other way round for stuff the iphone has but the nexus doesn't.
Not so sure on that. The only thing I can think of that iPhones can do that Android's can't is fingerprint recognition.

But you're absolutely right, it's not relevant. I work in an office where everyone else has iPhones and they just don't know or care that my phone (from 2011) can do more than their iPhone 5s. When iOS 7 came out, one of them proudly showed me how he could swipe to close apps from the launcher, and turn things on and off from the notifications bar. He was very surprised when I pointed out these were not new things.

Apple understand this better than anyone. They know that specs and features don't matter to the masses. You can't say they missed the boat on NFC for example, because the boat hasn't gone anywhere yet, and it may well be Apple that make it happen.

It's an attitude I just cannot understand. I always just try and buy the best thing I can for the money and I really don't care who makes it.