Nexus 6 & 9

All the talk regarding mobile phones, mobile internet access etc etc.
KNAPPO
Master artist
Master artist

Nexus 6 & 9

Post by KNAPPO »

Well its that time of year again when Google launches the next devices in the Nexus line.
Tomorrow/tonight we should see the Nexus 9, not too sure when the Nexus 6 is launching or if they are planning on doing a joint launch.

Rumor mill has been in full swing over the last few months but as we get closer these rumors seem to have some grounding.
If the N6 is as large as the leaks suggest it will be interesting to see in the hand. My wifes HTC Desire 816 at 5.5" is fine so itll be interesting to see how they have packaged such a large screen.

Last night Google did something we don't see much of. Google advertising Android.
I have to say, i really like the new sign off message at the end of the ads.

[youtube] [/youtube]
[youtube] [/youtube]
[youtube] [/youtube]

Here are 2 pics/mockups of the proposed devices.

Nexus 9

Nexus 6
Life is hard...but, life is harder when you're dumb.
w00dsy
The Senna of Hoppers Crossing

Re: Nexus 6 & 9

Post by w00dsy »

I wonder if they'll break away from tradition and have expandable memory in the 6. Even HTC did it with the new M8. It still blows my mind that Apple can sell a new phone with 16gig and no room for expansion.
KNAPPO
Master artist
Master artist

Post by KNAPPO »

I highly doubt it. Google has been moving away from SD for a while now.
Google having a big cloud storage offering it doesn't make scene from their point of view even if I think that sux.

I was listening to a podcast that covered it this week. With multiple user accounts on a single device it can create issues with the SD card. Does the card get partitioned for each user? Which user has access or owns the data saved ect. Ive heard that the Android One phones targeted for India have SD's but you cant do jack with them, no apps to SD and you cant even point the camera to save to the SD. It basically for music at present on the One's from what ive read.

Scrap the 16GB phone and have 32GB minimum with a 64GB offering since it cost f all between 32 & 64.
norbs
fucking right wing vegan lesbian

Post by norbs »

KNAPPO wrote:I highly doubt it. Google has been moving away from SD for a while now.
Google having a big cloud storage offering it doesn't make scene from their point of view even if I think that sux.

I was listening to a podcast that covered it this week. With multiple user accounts on a single device it can create issues with the SD card. Does the card get partitioned for each user? Which user has access or owns the data saved ect. Ive heard that the Android One phones targeted for India have SD's but you cant do jack with them, no apps to SD and you cant even point the camera to save to the SD. It basically for music at present on the One's from what ive read.

Scrap the 16GB phone and have 32GB minimum with a 64GB offering since it cost f all between 32 & 64.
They forget not everyone had Google Fibre connections. Upload speeds in this country suck arse.
Sarc ; my second favourite type of gasm.
KNAPPO
Master artist
Master artist

Post by KNAPPO »

Completely agree Norbs.
SD cards are very important to me as i shoot a shitonne of video and images of my kids.

Really don't know what phone im going with next. If I had to choose today it would be the LG G3 I think.
w00dsy

Post by w00dsy »

KNAPPO wrote: you cant even point the camera to save to the SD.

And yet to use to be able too. I guess it makes sense to try and push cloud services but 16gb isn't a lot by the time you allow for the OS, some music and then picture taking. My phone has 32gb and while I've only gotten to within 5gig of its limit there's no way I could live with 16gb. And do people really have multiple user accounts on 1 phone?
KNAPPO
Master artist
Master artist

Post by KNAPPO »

w00dsy wrote:And do people really have multiple user accounts on 1 phone?
I was surprised to read that stance as well.
I do on my Nexus 7 tablet however but as it has no SD i cant test to see whats happens to data and Apps per user. I do know when i go into the storage options on the N7 i can see how much of the device is now taken by the 2nd user.
SE1Z

Post by SE1Z »

My Nexus4 is nearly dead.
Been waiting, and waiting for this news!

Hope they keep the pricing low like they did with the N5 and N4...
Steve
---
Bauer

Post by Bauer »

Can you make phone calls on either of these?
--------------
Stu
durbster
The Whack Wasp Warrior

Post by durbster »

I've recently bought the LG G2 which is only available with 16Gb here, and it's not really enough these days. I was choosing between this or the HTC One M7 but chose the better camera over the poorer storage, as I figured I can just keep on top of it with a bit of management. The phone came with a free 50Gb Box account so that helps.

The reality is I get about 10Gb to actually use, and after everything's set up it's down to around 6Gb.

I did immediately have a problem when Google+ kept turning photo-syncing on all by itself which was filling the phone up with all my photos, but that seems to have been resolved and it's OK now.

I do like Android's user accounts. I've got a user account on the tablet for the boy which just has games and things on, and my phone uses the feature to implement a guest mode which is handy too.

I'm a bit confused with this new Nexus phone. I presume the Nexus 6 an iPhone+ rival, so will there be a new Nexus 4 or 5 too?
SE1Z

Post by SE1Z »

http://www.google.com/nexus/6/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.gizmodo.com.au/2014/10/googl ... a-monster/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

By all reports, it's bigger than an iPhone 6+ and will not be cheap, as per the previous Nexus phones...

Yeh... bugger that, I'll be grabbing a cheap Nexus5 I think :tilt:
Steve
---
KNAPPO
Master artist
Master artist

Post by KNAPPO »

http://ausdroid.net/2014/10/16/nexus-6- ... announced/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Not cheap! Still dont know what phone im going to go with now. So many solid handsets out there this year.

Proposed AU pricing. (not sure if these are official)

N6
32GB $738
64GB $795

N9
16GB WIFI $454
32GB WIFI $545
32GB LTE $681
Shaun

Post by Shaun »

the LG G3 is a ripper KNAPPO, i dont think any way you go will you be dissapointed, such epicness out atm. Misses has the Sony Xperia Z2 and that is a ripper phone too
Hello :aussie:
KNAPPO
Master artist
Master artist

Post by KNAPPO »

Shaun wrote:the LG G3 is a ripper KNAPPO
Im not due till March next year but I want Android L on the G3 pretty bad if I go down this route.
w00dsy

Post by w00dsy »

It'll get ported to devices pretty quickly once it's released. I'll give it a whirl.
KNAPPO
Master artist
Master artist

Post by KNAPPO »

http://www.google.com/nexus/player/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The Nexus player is interesting. Looks like the first retail Android TV unit.
norbs
fucking right wing vegan lesbian

Post by norbs »

KNAPPO wrote:http://www.google.com/nexus/player/

Surely it isnt WiFi only. Jesus!
Sarc ; my second favourite type of gasm.
w00dsy

Post by w00dsy »

Googles version of Apple TV.
wabbit

Post by wabbit »

That Player could really work for me. I've been looking for a way of getting Plex on the telly without using a desktop OS. Chromecast didn't fit my needs with a standard remote, so maybe this'll be it.
plastik8

Post by plastik8 »

norbs wrote:
KNAPPO wrote:http://www.google.com/nexus/player/

Surely it isnt WiFi only. Jesus!
I read that and thought, why would anyone want LTE?? Then I figured out you were referring to Ethernet not being there.... :eek:

Having said that - many things are heading in that direction. Macbooks do not have ethernet any more... With a good quality WAP, as long as you're not too far away from it, you should be able to stream any 1080p source with ease over WiFi these days.
Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561197971333750]Image[/url]
KNAPPO
Master artist
Master artist

Post by KNAPPO »

[youtube] [/youtube]
Shonky

Post by Shonky »

Not a lot of reason to move from the Nexus 5 to a 6 for me, while it's certainly a good bit of gear the only advantage I can see is the front facing speakers and a better screen, both of which I don't really need, they are more of a want.
Sarsippius

Post by Sarsippius »

I won't buy a phone without front facing speakers now that I've had one, size could be a bit of an issue for me but this or htc's next phone could be the go for me when my contract is up next year.
KNAPPO
Master artist
Master artist

Post by KNAPPO »

Apparently the Nexus 6 is going to be available in brick and mortar stores in Australia. Looks like we will get to fondle one without having to shell out the coin.
r8response
Cry baby
Cry baby

Post by r8response »

KNAPPO wrote:Apparently the Nexus 6 is going to be available in brick and mortar stores in Australia.
So Harvey Norman will sell them for $1200 on GE Credit Finance :D