Best Android handset on the market right now?

All the talk regarding mobile phones, mobile internet access etc etc.
pixelboy

Re: Best Android handset on the market right now?

Post by pixelboy »

It's also a case that your not actually doing anything with your phone? So waking up for weather update ever 30 minutes is quite significant.

Where is screen on that list?
eek
pixelboy

Post by pixelboy »

This is what a day looks like for me!

eek
r8response
Cry baby
Cry baby

Post by r8response »

pixelboy wrote:Where is screen on that list?
Not even on the list. The battery consumption would be significantly different if wifi wasn't on constantly.
wabbit

Post by wabbit »

It's 2014, why turn on/off GPS, WiFi, 3G/4G, etc. all the time?

* sadly, I feel I still have to say this... No I'm not trying to start a platform war.
r8response
Cry baby
Cry baby

Post by r8response »

I leave Wifi on as I spend most of my time at home (stay at home dad)
wabbit

Post by wabbit »

Yeah I'm not sure why, it just for some weird reason it really bloody grinds my gears. Sometimes I joke and say "what, have we learn fucking nothing in some 30 odd years of computing" :D

Anyways carry on. I've been mucking around with a Galaxy Nexus for nearly 12 months. Keep thinking about getting a Moto G 2nd I think as a muck-around phone.
pixelboy

Post by pixelboy »

We've learnt HEAPS about computing! The problem is we've learnt fuck all about batteries!
eek
norbs
fucking right wing vegan lesbian

Post by norbs »

pixelboy wrote:We've learnt HEAPS about computing! The problem is we've learnt fuck all about batteries!
Actually, we have learned a shit ton about batteries as well. :D

Tesla?
Sarc ; my second favourite type of gasm.
wabbit

Post by wabbit »

Pix, I'll respectively disagree based on multiple other Desktop and Mobile OSes being able to intelligently or rather automatically switch various radios on and off based on software requests. In regards to Android's work-arounds that have been implemented, I'm not taking anything away from that. To say it's impossible to my mind is bullshit, however if in its current configuration it may indeed be impossible, hopefully it's sloved in the future.
VTRacing
Team Pedant (c)

Post by VTRacing »

So is there any consensus on these?

Much like Vilante, I'm in the market for a new handset but I haven't really followed the trends.

Xperia Z3 Compact?
Galaxy S6?

I can't seem to find a Nexus phone on a Telstra plan.
:teach:
KNAPPO
Master artist
Master artist

Post by KNAPPO »

LG G4!

Ide go one of these over the S6.
Life is hard...but, life is harder when you're dumb.
w00dsy
The Senna of Hoppers Crossing

Post by w00dsy »

The G4 has good specs, but it's mish mash interface is really off putting. They altered the standard material design but kind of made it look unfinished now. A 3rd party launcher will go some way to fixing that though. I'm up for a new phone soon and the G4 and S6 are the 2 standouts so far. G4 has better battery life as well as it being removable, sd card slot, and a brilliant camera.

Also the Sony Z4 should be out by June hopefully. It's not a lot different to the Z3 though.
r8response
Cry baby
Cry baby

Post by r8response »

w00dsy wrote:The G4 has good specs, but it's mish mash interface is really off putting. They altered the standard material design but kind of made it look unfinished now. A 3rd party launcher will go some way to fixing that though. I'm up for a new phone soon and the G4 and S6 are the 2 standouts so far. G4 has better battery life as well as it being removable, sd card slot, and a brilliant camera.

Also the Sony Z4 should be out by June hopefully. It's not a lot different to the Z3 though.

I wouldn't expect the Z4 until later in the year (Sept/Nov) .

Telstra don't have Nexus phones on plans (or anything else for that matter anymore). I'd go the LG G4 for all the reasons w00dsy listed above. The Camera on the G3 is already brilliant, the G4 from all reports is better.
Bauer

Post by Bauer »

I went for a Note 4 rather than wait a week or 2 for the S6

Im loving the bigger screen to the point where I dont use my iPad mini much anymore
--------------
Stu
Shaun

Post by Shaun »

I've been loving the LG G3 so would be inclined to move onto the g4 if I was to upgrade
Hello :aussie:
KNAPPO
Master artist
Master artist

Post by KNAPPO »

The G4 shooting in RAW spikes my interest.

Im out of contract and just pre paying my S4 till something makes me want to pay a shed load for another phone. The S4 is still doing everything I require in a phone so im in no rush to get a new device. I want to hold out till November to see if Google refreshed the Nexus 5 with a 2015 model but as I use the IR blaster in the S4 and removable storage I still think ill be disappointed with the next Nexus offering and will look to the likes of LG. Hopefully by then the price will drop a little on the G4.
r8response
Cry baby
Cry baby

Post by r8response »

KNAPPO wrote:The G4 shooting in RAW spikes my interest.

Im out of contract and just pre paying my S4 till something makes me want to pay a shed load for another phone. The S4 is still doing everything I require in a phone so im in no rush to get a new device. I want to hold out till November to see if Google refreshed the Nexus 5 with a 2015 model but as I use the IR blaster in the S4 and removable storage I still think ill be disappointed with the next Nexus offering and will look to the likes of LG. Hopefully by then the price will drop a little on the G4.
When I recontracted with Telstra they gave me the option of more data (extra gig) or talk time. Doesn't hurt to talk to your provider and see what they can offer.
Scottie

Post by Scottie »

I just got the Z3 compact...

After doing the initial intense usage to calibratw the battery, it looks like the thing will last for bloody 5 days! That's with using Sleep as Android overnight. going from an S4 to this, it's much easier to use the screen, although it was slipery as hell. So I got me the S-gell case and now it's perfect. Maybe it's just me, but going from the pix density of the s4 to the 720p screen, I must say, I can't much tell a difference. but I never really used it for watching HD vids.

Camera takes some beating too, although the panorama mode isn't as intuitive as Samsung's... small price to pay though.
Santaria

Post by Santaria »

Bumping this as I'm interested on what is the best one out at the moment. Wife got out of the car and smashed her S5 phone when it fell put of her pocket(3rd one in 2 years....). I've been thinking of passing her my Nexus 5 and then upgrading myself.

What's the Nexus 6 like? Worthy upgrade for the price? What's everyone else using at the moment?

Sent from my Nexus 5
Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561197999720352]Image[/url]
w00dsy
The Senna of Hoppers Crossing

Post by w00dsy »

Nexus 6 doesn't seem to have the same following as the 5. If you want one outright maybe see if you can get your hands on a Oneplus 2. https://oneplus.net/2

There's a few good phones at decent prices now. LG G4 is good, Galaxy Note 5 has just been released.
NeilPearson
Prize Winning ARSE

Post by NeilPearson »

New nexus 5 is rumoured to be out soonish... wait for that If you can.

Otherwise I'm loving my s6.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk
KNAPPO
Master artist
Master artist

Post by KNAPPO »

My S4 is on its last legs. Im hanging out till September to grab one of the Moto phones. Probably a cheap arse Moto G or one of the X's if the price isnt a rip off.
But ill probably hang out for the next Nexus before making a final decision just in case its a decent deal.

I wish IR blasters were in every phone... Every time I look at specs and contemplate my usage, i use the bloody IR blaster every day.
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

Santaria wrote:Bumping this as I'm interested on what is the best one out at the moment. Wife got out of the car and smashed her S5 phone when it fell put of her pocket(3rd one in 2 years....). I've been thinking of passing her my Nexus 5 and then upgrading myself.

What's the Nexus 6 like? Worthy upgrade for the price? What's everyone else using at the moment?

Sent from my Nexus 5
Get her some chinese workman's phone. They are very durable and cheap :)
Surprise, no sig. Now there is. Or is there?
dvestate
Prize Winning ARSE

Post by dvestate »

Nexus 5x officially announced today, not available to pre order in Aus until mid next month by the looks of it
Shonky

Post by Shonky »