Galaxy S6 & S6 Edge

All the talk regarding mobile phones, mobile internet access etc etc.
VTRacing
Team Pedant (c)

Re: Galaxy S6 & S6 Edge

Post by VTRacing »

Hey, I ended up getting an S6 too...
:teach:
w00dsy
The Senna of Hoppers Crossing

Post by w00dsy »

KNAPPO wrote:How do you go on the battery Woodsy?
Its a kick arse phone but the lack of SD card is whats pushing me towards the G4. I have a qi charger on my desk at work and home so battery wouldn't worry me too much as an office worker but ive always wondered how it would fair for a tradie.

The M9 is kinda tanking in sales. A lot is due to there being stuff all real difference to its predecessor.

i got the 64gig phone for that very reason, no sd card slot, but i didn't have one on my old phone but i figured i probably should future proof. I've seen mixed stories about the battery but it was good for me on the first day, and i hammered it to see if i could drain it. I had podcasts or music playing for the whole 8hrs, and i was browsing on and off as well, plus phone calls etc. And i made the mistake of leaving the screen off time to 10mins(i use that as a timer when i'm in the shower in the dark). I was at 25% at the end of the day so i expect it to be even better in the days to follow. If i did that with the M7 i'd have run out of battery around lunchtime, so i'd say it's at least 50% better but it's still early days. From what i've read after a day or two the seem to settle in and get better. It's so fucking loud too compared to my M7, the speaker quality isn't quite as good(close though) but it's volume is more than enough to let me hear stuff playing while it's in my pocket on a building site. So far i can't fault it.
wabbit

Post by wabbit »

Can I just say I've never (once) used an SD card nor swapped a battery in a mobile phone. I do understand their are some people that do use those things in a mobile phone however people swapping batteries in particular seems like the people that are trying to cover all possible bases as a just in case ie: I may need it sometime in the future... however most never do you the feature let alone have a second battery charged ready to swap.
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

I don't change the battery either, altho I've almost bought a replacement one for the S2 due to the short battery life.
With the S5 ... it for 2 days easy with normal use, and a lot longer if you switch to power savings.

However, I do use a micro SD card; mainly because the 16GB in the phone is nothing.
But the way Android fecked up the SD card file permissions is making it hard to use the card. It'd be great to just take it out, manage the files, and chuck it back - it's quicker than the USB. by the way the usb3 is also borked up a bit - you need to switch over the phone to "storage device" every single time you connect via one of those special cables.

It'd also be great to have everything on a card - then just put the card into a new phone and pick the data up.

But google it seems is desperately trying to make this impossible in every way. This I'm not pleased with.

But since it's been made near-impossible anyway, might as well buy a phone with no card and enough storage. The only question remains; how much premium are they asking for a 64GB storage, that is the equivalent of a $40 SD card (and I'm sure it'll be half the price in a year or two)
Surprise, no sig. Now there is. Or is there?
r8response
Cry baby
Cry baby

Post by r8response »

The LG G3 I got when I did the New Phone Feeling shit with Telstra came with a cradle (which also charges an extra battery that came with it). So now it's a case of letting the phone use the battery until it's almost dead then changing it over.

I usually get 4 or 5 days out of a battery, with moderate usage.
w00dsy

Post by w00dsy »

i just read that there is plastic on the camera. Just peeled mine off. VT peel your plastic off. :D
wabbit

Post by wabbit »

LOL
w00dsy

Post by w00dsy »

Pretty happy with the battery today. I took it off charge at 3am when I got up for a piss to see if it lost any charge while sleeping, as you can see from the graph at stayed on 100% until I picked it up at 9am. I've been out and about today using the phone normally and it's been really good and plenty of screen on time.

w00dsy

Post by w00dsy »

I just sat and played with it last night trying to kill it to see how much screen on time I could get. It's at least 2hrs more than my old M7. The battery on this is only 200mah bigger than my old phone but the new processor seems to run a lot more efficiently.

VTRacing
Team Pedant (c)

Post by VTRacing »

w00dsy wrote:i just read that there is plastic on the camera. Just peeled mine off. VT peel your plastic off. :D
Haha, yeah I realised after a day or two that there was plastic there. I don't think it was actually covering the lens though.
:teach:
w00dsy

Post by w00dsy »

ooooh, might have to get one of these. http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/STUFF4-Back- ... 5b0f8651b7
NeilPearson
Prize Winning ARSE

Post by NeilPearson »

Got me an s6 yesterday. Tired of that z3 breaking when you look at it wrong .

My battery is getting destroyed. It doesn't have the battery life of the z3. Telstra gave me a battery bank among other things when i went in yesterday. So that will come in handy

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk
NeilPearson
Prize Winning ARSE

Post by NeilPearson »

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk
w00dsy

Post by w00dsy »

You should have got one of these, durable and a huge battery.
http://m.att.com/shopmobile/cellphones/ ... &referrer=
NeilPearson
Prize Winning ARSE

Post by NeilPearson »

eww it looks ugly
KNAPPO
Master artist
Master artist

Post by KNAPPO »

But so does a smashed phone Neil.
Life is hard...but, life is harder when you're dumb.
w00dsy

Post by w00dsy »

i'm doing a bit of an experiment, i've seen people changing the resolution down to 1080 with no visual difference but a fair jump in battery life and performance, so i've done it using Resolution Changer Pro. Doesn't seem any different at the moment as far as looks go. Hopefully it'll give the battery a boost which is my main aim.
NeilPearson
Prize Winning ARSE

Post by NeilPearson »

How did it go?
w00dsy

Post by w00dsy »

Seems better. Hard to tell after half a day but I'd say it's an improvement.
Sarsippius

Post by Sarsippius »

I've had an S6 for a while now and very happy with it. I stuck with my HTC One M7 for a long time as well, HTC have totally dropped the ball since the M7 and nothing else seemed a real major improvement.

Anyway the S6 is great, amoled is finally looking good and not over saturated. The OS has been cleared of all the (well the majority of) useless junk. There's some things that Sense still does better and some things that this does better.

For battery I think it's pretty even to my HTC for my usage, I think idle usage is quite amazing but any time it's got the screen on or doing something it seems to use a bit so comes out fairly even in the end.

Overall very happy with it and a worthy upgrade :yes: