Galaxy S6 & S6 Edge

All the talk regarding mobile phones, mobile internet access etc etc.
Shonky

Galaxy S6 & S6 Edge

Post by Shonky »

I guess Samsung's dominance will be on the wane soon as nobody here gave a shit about the launch. :D

Good to see there's still no need to replace my Nexus 5 yet. :)
r8response
Cry baby
Cry baby

Re: Galaxy S6 & S6 Edge

Post by r8response »

I've kept and eye on it.

My "New Phone Feeling" from Telstra is due this month. Probably have to settle for a Note 4 or something like that. Don't expect to see the GS6 on shelves until at least april
Big Kev
Clean as a Whistle
Clean as a Whistle

Post by Big Kev »

Interestingly the 3 things they often lauded over Apple, replaceable battery, SD slot and waterproofing, have now been dropped.

They basically haven't added anything new. The curvy edge is a bit of a gimmick.

Honestly, phones now have everything you could possibly need so the differences just come down to size, speed, cost and weight.
ARSE Biscuits! Driftu Kingu!
My Flickr Stream
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

Big Kev wrote:Honestly, phones now have everything you could possibly need ...
No, I don't think so. But they have all the gimmicks that were easy to implement to blind the plebs.

eg can you measure temperature with any? That'd be a handy thing - and probably possible. (I've an instant meter - just not built into the phone)

P.s. I can see I did the right choice with the S5. I'd certainly not buy the S6 with LESS features. What a bunch of crooks. Altho...the SD card handling is fucked up by google already with their magnificent rights management, so that's that...:(
Surprise, no sig. Now there is. Or is there?
Big Kev
Clean as a Whistle
Clean as a Whistle

Post by Big Kev »

ysu wrote:eg can you measure temperature with any? That'd be a handy thing - and probably possible. (I've an instant meter - just not built into the phone)
I don't think I have ever needed that. If I did I'd just load up the weather app and get the real time temperature like that.
My Flickr Stream
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

Big Kev wrote:
ysu wrote:eg can you measure temperature with any? That'd be a handy thing - and probably possible. (I've an instant meter - just not built into the phone)
I don't think I have ever needed that. If I did I'd just load up the weather app and get the real time temperature like that.
Bathwater? Child's fever?
Big Kev
Clean as a Whistle
Clean as a Whistle

Post by Big Kev »

Do you need a phone to do that though?

A lot of people seem incapable to taking a piss without dropping their phone in the bog, I can't imagine how many would be ruined testing bath water that you can do with your hand or a proper thermometer. I suspect 99% of phone buyers would have no use for a thermometer.
My Flickr Stream
Bauer

Post by Bauer »

sounds like the S6 is a lawsuit just waiting to happen. They must be fucked in the head to release a phone with a sealed battery and no SD card. Apple lawyers must have blown their load over that.

:D
--------------
Stu
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

Big Kev wrote:Do you need a phone to do that though?

A lot of people seem incapable to taking a piss without dropping their phone in the bog, I can't imagine how many would be ruined testing bath water that you can do with your hand or a proper thermometer. I suspect 99% of phone buyers would have no use for a thermometer.
I meant the touchless type :)
While, maybe, most people indeed would not appreciate it, it's certainly an area neglected! :)
Durrie

Post by Durrie »

I'd buy a new phone if it had a death-ray in it.
Imagine walking around the shops or in the train station with one of those puppies, or if you could mount it on your car for use in traffic.
w00dsy
The Senna of Hoppers Crossing

Post by w00dsy »

it's odd that it's their first sealed design but it's no longer water resistant. I do really like the look of them though, and the Edge version seems kinda cool.

durbster
The Whack Wasp Warrior

Post by durbster »

It's either a brave or dumb move from Samsung to remove the things that made the Galaxy different from the iPhone they're unashamedly competing with. The SD-card and removable battery were surely significant features that made people choose it over the iPhone. Without their traditional massive feature list to fall back on, they're more exposed and I'm not sure they have the market appeal or the overall polish of the iPhone.

Apple can expect customers to buy their stuff no matter what they do but Samsung? Be interesting to see.

The Edge version is cool though. I can see a number of uses for that.
Shaun

Post by Shaun »

Can you really durbs? I've been struggling to understand what it would be useful for since it was announced lol
pixelboy

Post by pixelboy »

I'm with Shaun, I can't see anything other than gimmick..

I do however understand why they dumped sd card and replaceable batteries.. It's economics. I also be most Samsung users never add a sd card or replace the battery anyway.
eek
Big Kev
Clean as a Whistle
Clean as a Whistle

Post by Big Kev »

The curvy edge just seems to be a way of making a slightly bigger screen without increasing the form factor size. But is it really any different from just swiping in from the ride of a flat screen? What does that extra 2-3mm actually give you? The side menu is hidden until you swipe it anyway. I'm struggling to see the usefulness of it (same with being able to gesture without touching the screen).
My Flickr Stream
durbster
The Whack Wasp Warrior

Post by durbster »

Well I think a lot of office dwellers have their phone on their desk in front of them most of the day - mine is right now. If I receive a call or text and it popped up with a quick notification letting me know who it's from, I can just glance at it to see what's up. Same goes for meetings, reminders or to-do list type stuff; a more sophisticated version of the notification light, basically.

It's hardly a chore to do these things but these are devices of convenience.

I don't have a dedicated clock in my bedroom nowadays so if it could sit there with the time displayed on the side screen that'd be quite handy at night, as it'd be pretty much in my eye-line as I sleep. I could check the time without having to move. :)

I'm assuming it can do this sort of stuff, otherwise it really is pointless. :D
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

I don't think it can display time there - it seems way too thin for that. But it'd be cool indeed :)
r8response
Cry baby
Cry baby

Post by r8response »

w00dsy

Post by w00dsy »

You can set the edge up to display the time or a couple of other things. It's not ground breaking but it could be useful for a few things.
richo

Post by richo »

pixelboy wrote:I'm with Shaun, I can't see anything other than gimmick..

I do however understand why they dumped sd card and replaceable batteries.. It's economics. I also be most Samsung users never add a sd card or replace the battery anyway.
I use both , got to have a large music collection for the car etc and a new battery is like getting a new phone.

Won't be buying another Samsung though i really detest that you can't have Vanilla Android.
[]D [] []v[] []D
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

That's nice. can you see it with the top covered, though? (i.e. in a case)
eh, fuggit. I don't care I won't buy this anyway. :)
Big Kev
Clean as a Whistle
Clean as a Whistle

Post by Big Kev »

Someone else will just put a small thin separate screen down the edge so you can see the time and notifications.

There, that'll be the next big innovation in smartphones (copyright Big Kev 2015)
My Flickr Stream
pixelboy

Post by pixelboy »

richo wrote:
I use both , got to have a large music collection for the car etc and a new battery is like getting a new phone.

Won't be buying another Samsung though i really detest that you can't have Vanilla Android.
What device exists with vanilla android, sd card and replaceable battery?
eek
richo

Post by richo »

pixelboy wrote:
richo wrote:

What device exists with vanilla android, sd card and replaceable battery?

Only in my dreams ..

Thats why i have a Samsung phone it's probably as close to what I want but i think i will get a Nexus next time .
[]D [] []v[] []D
w00dsy

Post by w00dsy »