So, the new Google phone...

All the talk regarding mobile phones, mobile internet access etc etc.
Sarsippius

Re: So, the new Google phone...

Post by Sarsippius »

One of these will be a good candidate for upgrading my S6 but the contract isn't up for 6+ months so they'll be significantly cheaper by then and there'll be an S8 and others up for consideration by then as well. They do sound like they're up there with the best available phones at the moment though and I'd probably get one over an S7 or iPhone.
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

Hey guys, if I can be a bit of a lazy prick;
Can those of you who looked into this phone in detail, summarise in a few words, what makes this the best phone? (or not)?

eg I've read you wrote lack of waterproofing, that's a fairly bad omission for my wife (numerous accidents) :D But still ok by me.
Surprise, no sig. Now there is. Or is there?
KNAPPO
Master artist
Master artist

Post by KNAPPO »

I watched this yesterday. Was shocked that the Verge did a pretty good review of an Android phone for a change.
There are a fair few reviews/unboxings out there but as the phone is still very new I dont know how many ide trust just yet.

MKBHD's initial impressions, recorded 2 weeks ago. His full review is still yet to be published.
Life is hard...but, life is harder when you're dumb.
Shonky

Post by Shonky »

Another from MKBHD, showing off his new Tesla filmed in 4k with his Pixel XL.

Shonky

Post by Shonky »

ysu wrote:Hey guys, if I can be a bit of a lazy prick;
Can those of you who looked into this phone in detail, summarise in a few words, what makes this the best phone? (or not)?

eg I've read you wrote lack of waterproofing, that's a fairly bad omission for my wife (numerous accidents) :D But still ok by me.
I'm not sure I know enough about it to say it's the best phone yet, but when you have multiple reviews all singing the same praises, it's hard to ignore. Hardware wise it's right up there and with this being the first phone designed by Google, it allows them to optimise the OS from the hardware up in the same way Apple always has done, which can only be a good thing.

After having a Samsung phone (GS2), and then the Nexus 5, for me it's hard to walk away from the stability and rapid updates having the Google device brings, has Samsung or anyone else committed to sending out the monthly security updates that Android now has now been pushing out for over a year?

Google assistant for me seems to be something I'll rarely use, but I am finding I am using the Google Now cards a lot more these days, so who knows, the assistant is probably something you'd have to live with day to day to see if it has any use.
DarrenM

Post by DarrenM »

Pretty sure I'll be getting a Pixel. My old GS2 is getting annoying to use. XL is a bit big for my taste.

Not sure if I should wait until next month to see if they do bundle specials with the daydream headsets. I don't know if I'll get much use out of it and it might be hard to go back to VR without movement tracking.

Knappo, from what I've read daydream will only worth with the pixel phones so you might want to double check that before buying one.
Shonky wrote:Another from MKBHD, showing off his new Tesla filmed in 4k with his Pixel XL.
The panning is pretty weird. It's like it's always trying to create a still shot instead of a smoothed one.
Shonky

Post by Shonky »

Yeah I heard someone refer to that as looking like an old school fps in a podcast I was listening to this morning. I didn't notice it when watching that video but it was probably due to being more interested in the Tesla than the video itself, I will have to watch it again now that I know about it.
Shonky

Post by Shonky »

DarrenM wrote: The panning is pretty weird. It's like it's always trying to create a still shot instead of a smoothed one.
Wow, yeah they need to fix that.
Shonky

Post by Shonky »

Tough phone?

Santaria

Post by Santaria »

Picked up a Pixel today. Have to say very impressed. My nexus 5 eventually but the dust and I couldn't use the screen anymore as it was unresponsive. It's a massive step up in quality and speed etc. I couldn't justify the extra dollars for the xl.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561197999720352]Image[/url]
durbster
The Whack Wasp Warrior

Post by durbster »

I nearly got a OnePlus 3, then a Galaxy S7. Both were in the shopping basket ready to fire but I wasn't convinced so held off.

Somebody at work got a Pixel so I had a good look at that but although it's a nice enough thing, I just don't want to spend that much money and I couldn't see anything about it that really justified the cost.

After all that, I've ordered a HTC 10 instead. Reviews are good and they had an offer on their website knocking 15% off, so that sealed the deal :)
DarrenM

Post by DarrenM »

I picked up a Pixel yesterday. It's ridiculous how much faster it is than my old galaxy S2. Seems like apps and webpages load faster than the S2 would register screen taps. First couple times I used the camera I wasn't sure it worked because it finished before I lifted my finger :)
Santaria

Post by Santaria »

So I've been with the Pixel for a couple of months or more. I'm still as in love with it as the day that I bought it. I've had a couple of goes with it with a VR headset and was impressed. In saying that though, the only comparison I had was an S5. Battery life is great and the lat4est 7.1.1 update improved that again somewhat. It also made the screen more sensitive. I don't know if it needed to be, but it's working out OK.

The one thing I'm not 100% about:
- The external speaker. I think they could've definitely done better. But it's good enough for calls etc but I don't think it's good enough for YouTube or music. It's loud enough but the quality is crap.
- I seem to be having stacks more typos on this than I did on the Nexus while still using Swiftkey. I don't know if that's a phone thing or a me thing. I haven't found a keyboard that hasn't beaten Swiftkey yet but I haven't seen anything new and exciting come through either.

Overall i love the phone, I love the battery life and it's bonkers fast. Call quality is good and Nougat is also pretty great. I really do like the app drawer. it's the first time in a long, long, long time that I'm using the default launcher as I always switched to Nova.
Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561197999720352]Image[/url]