So, the new Google phone...

All the talk regarding mobile phones, mobile internet access etc etc.
smithcorp
Occasional Visitor
Occasional Visitor

So, the new Google phone...

Post by smithcorp »

I can dump my Sony Experie Z5 compact in a month or so and thinking about this Pixel phone. Any views?

http://www.cnet.com/products/google-pix ... e/preview/
Shonky

Re: So, the new Google phone...

Post by Shonky »

Been holding off getting a new phone for a while, my Nexus 5 is on it's last legs, chi charging no longer works, it has some paper stuffed inside on a connector to keep the microphone working. Hopefully Google nail it with this one cause I'll be all over it if it's any good, otherwise I'll probably be looking at the LG V20.
Shonky

Post by Shonky »

Not sure what's going on here, something to do with the new phones I guess.

https://madeby.google.com/
wabbit

Post by wabbit »

The teaser doesn't really reveal anything but a date. We don't know where Google's announcement event will be held or precisely when, but obviously that information will probably be forthcoming in the next week or two.

Interestingly, we're hearing that Google appears to have timed the launch of this video with a large number of major network television channels (including during Monday Night Football) showing this same ad. It seems Google is busting out the piggy bank to make the Pixel phones known.
Santaria

Post by Santaria »

So. I'm wanting to buy a phone outright. Other than the bog standard S7 what is next in line? The Z5? Would prefer naked Android if possible.
Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561197999720352]Image[/url]
w00dsy
The Senna of Hoppers Crossing

Post by w00dsy »

the Oneplus3 is a great phone at a good price, but can be hard to get hold of from mainstream places. It's also close to vanilla Android, but with a few extra features. They just don't skin it like Samsung do. https://buymobile.com.au/collections/on ... 4964937606
Shonky

Post by Shonky »

Santaria wrote:So. I'm wanting to buy a phone outright. Other than the bog standard S7 what is next in line? The Z5? Would prefer naked Android if possible.
Not sure if you've looked but check out prices on contract San, some decent prices to be had vs. buying outright these days, I get the feeling with Telstra at least (I haven't looked at other carriers), that they are working towards outright purchases not being worthwhile.

GS7 for works out at ($28x24months) $672 on plan with Telstra as an example, the cheapest I've seen the S7 outright is around $665, but the norm is about $750 from what I've seen.
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

I'm with telstra, and getting a contract is 24mo only, starting at $83/mo = ~ $2000, and that's with fairly crap 1GB data, etc. (this is on an SGS7)

Instead of that you can get a great plan with 5G d/l on a 12mo BYOphone contract for $40/mo... which even if the prices don't go down, will come to about $1000. (in 24 months)

The only good part of the 24 contract is that the warranty is on the provider. Otherwise it's usually not cheaper - they want to make money on the hardware just as well as the plan sale.

I'm like Santa, I'll just buy a phone and select a byo plan.
Surprise, no sig. Now there is. Or is there?
Shonky

Post by Shonky »

Ahh fair enough ysu, I did say I hadn't checked out anyone else. How are other networks these days for coverage? I changed to Telstra years ago because of the lack of coverage from others when I was out camping/4wd'ing at various places.
r8response
Cry baby
Cry baby

Post by r8response »

Shonky wrote:Ahh fair enough ysu, I did say I hadn't checked out anyone else. How are other networks these days for coverage? I changed to Telstra years ago because of the lack of coverage from others when I was out camping/4wd'ing at various places.

Nothing has changed, outside of the major population centers most other companies have limited to no coverage at all.

Currently, Telcos are trying to get the Government to open up the wider Telstra Mobile network for resale, in my opinion because they can't be fucked putting in the money to expand their own.
Hazelb
Master artist
Master artist

Post by Hazelb »

I have a Z5..Its a great phone...
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

Shonky wrote:Ahh fair enough ysu, I did say I hadn't checked out anyone else. How are other networks these days for coverage? I changed to Telstra years ago because of the lack of coverage from others when I was out camping/4wd'ing at various places.
Sorry, I wasn't clear enough maybe; the BYO phone 12-mo plan is also with telstra. So T vs T it is cheaper to buy outright and going for a BYO plan. I've got a small (15%?) bonus on this plan because I've applied online, but that's about it. It'd still be cheaper.

I've no idea how the others compare, like you, I've tried them - voda, optus, then went for T due to lack of proper coverage with the others. That $20/mo does not worth being left out there without network.
Shonky

Post by Shonky »

All good mate, just had another look at the Telstra site and I'll stand corrected, current byo plan there for $50/mnth and 5Gb which is what I'm currently on, which is a 12mo works out at $600, whereas the 2-year contract plan over 12 months with 1gb data is $660 excluding the phone costs.
KNAPPO
Master artist
Master artist

Post by KNAPPO »

Santaria wrote:So. I'm wanting to buy a phone outright. Other than the bog standard S7 what is next in line? The Z5? Would prefer naked Android if possible.
I picked up a Nexus 6P about a month ago and couldn't be happier.
Got it on the $40 OptARSE plan with $8 handset repayments. The plan is only 1GB a month but as im on wifi at work and home I only used 60% of it in my first month.

http://www.optus.com.au/shop/mobile/phones/nexus/6p
Life is hard...but, life is harder when you're dumb.
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

KNAPPO wrote:
I picked up a Nexus 6P about a month ago and couldn't be happier.
Got it on the $40 OptARSE plan with $8 handset repayments. The plan is only 1GB a month but as im on wifi at work and home I only used 60% of it in my first month.

http://www.optus.com.au/shop/mobile/phones/nexus/6p
I was thinking like that until I've started using google maps in-car a bit (really, just a couple of days a month!)...that chewed through my data very quickly :)
KNAPPO
Master artist
Master artist

Post by KNAPPO »

ysu wrote:I was thinking like that until I've started using google maps in-car a bit (really, just a couple of days a month!)...that chewed through my data very quickly :)
Turning satellite imagery off helps but it is a data intensive app.
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

Good tip, thanks! Although, with 5GB limit it's not an issue anymore ;)
Santaria

Post by Santaria »

I use 4G heaps but if Telstra are doing a 60 plan with 5gb, might be the go. How does the 6P hold up Knappo? At this stage I'm think of the Z5. Anyone know what the Pixel phone is going to be?

Sent from my Nexus 5
Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561197999720352]Image[/url]
KNAPPO
Master artist
Master artist

Post by KNAPPO »

Santaria wrote:How does the 6P hold up Knappo?
Ita bloody great, got it running on Android N from the get go. Battery life is fantastic and the camera is a massive surprise, best smartphone camera I've owned which is odd for a Nexus device. Finger print scanner is another pleasant surprise, super fast at reading the input for unlocking and feels weird picking up a phone without one now.

Lots of nice features in N that are making it a great experience. Had L on my last phone and M on the Nexus 7.

I can't fault it. I got a grippy case cos its large and a little tricky for single handed use would be my only down side.

Best phone I've ever used.
pixelboy

Post by pixelboy »

Here is a good run down on the Pixel phones...

http://www.androidcentral.com/pixel-pix ... ared-scale

Pricing I imagine will initially be outright from Google and via carrier's soon after.
eek
Shonky

Post by Shonky »

On paper it looks the goods, starting to think pricing will be the measurement by which the Pixel phones live or die in the market.
Big Kev
Clean as a Whistle
Clean as a Whistle

Post by Big Kev »

ARSE Biscuits! Driftu Kingu!
My Flickr Stream
pixelboy

Post by pixelboy »

Leaking like a seive...

All we need now is pricing!
eek
Big Kev
Clean as a Whistle
Clean as a Whistle

Post by Big Kev »

Having the fingerprint reader on the back seems a bit odd.
ARSE Biscuits! Driftu Kingu!
My Flickr Stream
Shonky

Post by Shonky »

pixelboy wrote:Leaking like a seive...

All we need now is pricing!
I read one rumor of $649US for the cheap one. :eyepop: