Nexus 5X?

All the talk regarding mobile phones, mobile internet access etc etc.
Vilante
Master artist
Master artist

Nexus 5X?

Post by Vilante »

I'm looking for a phone for the wife, she wants an Android under $500.

The Nexus 5X is on sale for $380 which is a great price but it's only got 2GB of RAM and 16 of storage.

Is there anything else I should be looking at? I've had a good look around but not really inspired by much else.

Cheers :)
w00dsy
The Senna of Hoppers Crossing

Re: Nexus 5X?

Post by w00dsy »

For that price it'd be hard to beat, but she'll fill the storage pretty quickly with baby photos.
Vilante
Master artist
Master artist

Post by Vilante »

w00dsy wrote:For that price it'd be hard to beat, but she'll fill the storage pretty quickly with baby photos.
She'll have to get use to dumping the photos off it daily :)

Thanks Woodsy :yes:
pixelboy

Post by pixelboy »

I've got one.. It's fine.. It's not the top performer but more than adequate daily driver!

At that price you'd be mad if you didn't!
eek
wabbit

Post by wabbit »

pixelboy wrote:I've got one.. It's fine.. It's not the top performer but more than adequate daily driver!
Pix, is this the model that doesn't have hardware processing for encryption? I can't remember which Nexus is it :)
Shonky

Post by Shonky »

The 5X and 6P have encryption enabled out of the box, but it's not hardware based. I think it's the 5 and 6 that tanked performance when encryption is enabled.
wabbit

Post by wabbit »

Shonky wrote:The 5X and 6P have encryption enabled out of the box, but it's not hardware based. I think it's the 5 and 6 that tanked performance when encryption is enabled.
Oh awesome, thanks (I knew it would be quicker to ask here than research). So Vil that might be a consideration for you. If you get one for her, just disable the encryption or deal with the increased support levels :D
Shonky

Post by Shonky »

Vilante wrote:The Nexus 5X is on sale for $380 which is a great price but it's only got 2GB of RAM and 16 of storage.
After going into a T store yesterday and checking out the Pixel/XL I've come to the conclusion that I don't really need a top of the line phone, so I'm interested in where you got the price for the 5X?

My Nexus 5 does everything I need, it's just falling apart and now the Nexus 5x is looking like a worthy replacement.
Vilante
Master artist
Master artist

Post by Vilante »

Shonky wrote:
Vilante wrote:The Nexus 5X is on sale for $380 which is a great price but it's only got 2GB of RAM and 16 of storage.
After going into a T store yesterday and checking out the Pixel/XL I've come to the conclusion that I don't really need a top of the line phone, so I'm interested in where you got the price for the 5X?

My Nexus 5 does everything I need, it's just falling apart and now the Nexus 5x is looking like a worthy replacement.
http://www.allphones.com.au/phones/lg-nexus-5x/

Ends 1st November.

Thanks for the advice guys, much appreciated!
Shonky

Post by Shonky »

Cheers Vil. I ended up finding one of the very few Au stocked 6Ps left, so I bought that instead for $700, last gen top of the range phone for close to half of the current flagships price, should do what I need with ease.
Vilante
Master artist
Master artist

Post by Vilante »

Nice find mate, I would have bought that if I'd found it too.
Shonky

Post by Shonky »

Did you get your phone yet Vil? Look out for the 8 hours of updates to download and install (approaching 2GB), my 6P had November 2015 patch level out of the box, but it's now on Nougat which is great, not a huge update over Marshmallow but lots of little subtle improvements here and there that shows Android to be a pretty mature OS these days.
NeilPearson
Prize Winning ARSE

Post by NeilPearson »

if your on the beta progam, I got 7.1.1 recently.
Vilante
Master artist
Master artist

Post by Vilante »

Shonky wrote:Did you get your phone yet Vil? Look out for the 8 hours of updates to download and install (approaching 2GB), my 6P had November 2015 patch level out of the box, but it's now on Nougat which is great, not a huge update over Marshmallow but lots of little subtle improvements here and there that shows Android to be a pretty mature OS these days.
We ended up stopping into a shop and she got her heart set on the HTC One X9. She had the original One X and loved it so it was hard to talk her out of it :)

It's still running Marshmallow, who knows when Nougat will be available, if at all.

It's nice enough for her though.