How do you roast potatoes?

Think you can cook a dish that would win Master Top Iron Chef? Well here is the place to share. All the talk about food and good eating goes here. If you think a McAngus burger is gourmet, best you stay away.
Bauer

How do you roast potatoes?

Post by Bauer »

What is your method for roasting spuds and other vegies? I dont know that I have ever had a great method that works so well that I do it every time. I would like one though.
--------------
Stu
SE1Z

Re: How do you roast potatoes?

Post by SE1Z »

Wrap in foil and chuck in the webber for about an hour, turn once.

In the oven, I just chuck them in for 40mins/1hr (or until soft)
You could wrap them in foil to stop the skin getting crunchy, or... roll the spud in salt first if you like the crunchy skin!
Steve
---
wobblysauce
Seen it, Done it, Invented it!

Post by wobblysauce »

cook roast, take out roast as it is resting throw in the spuds covering in juices then wait 30ish mins
Some play it safe on the merry-go-round, others go for the thrills of the roller-coaster.

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ vs ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

I have a joke for you. I have a prediction that you are going to walk into a bar, my prediction was wrong and your wallet is gone.
norbs
fucking right wing vegan lesbian

Post by norbs »

For whole potatoes I parboil them til the outside is just starting to go soft. Take off the heat and drain the water. Add a big wedge of butter, or some olive oil, pepper and salt to the pan, then put the lid on and gently roll them around inside. The idea is to bash the outside up a bit and coat it with oil or butter. Once you are done, cook in the oven until they are golden brown. I have had heaps of people comment on my roast spuds. :yes:
Sarc ; my second favourite type of gasm.
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

For a roast I always cut them up into large pieces and place them in a tray in the oven, pour a fair bit of olive oil in the tray and turn them every now and then.
Montey

Post by Montey »

Here's my recipe for a roast chook, including vegetables:

1. Buy Roast Chook, one of the pre-seasoned & pre-stuffed ones from the super market.
2. Buy roasting vegetables.
3. Get a decent heavy roasting pan (SwissDiamond rock!!!)
4. Pre-heat oven to around 230c - By starting the roasting process with the oven up high you tighten up the skins on everything so the juices stay in.
5. Stick chook in the middle of the roasting pan.
6. Peel vegetables and place in pan around chook.
7. Drizzle olive oil over vegetables
9. Place in oven for 30 minutes
10. After 30 minutes, cover roasting pan with alfoil
11. Leave in oven for another 30 minutes.
12. After 60 minutes have passed pull the pan out of oven, remove the alfoil, turn the oven down to around 190c and turn vegetables in the pan so another surface is on the bottom of the pan.
13. Place back in oven for another 30 minutes.
14. After 90 minutes, serve the chicken with gravy.

This usually produces an incredibly moist chicken, and beautifully roasted vegetables. If you just want the roasted vegetables you do the same process, just ignoring the chook and perhaps adding a few garlic cloves. For something different you can also put some honey in with the vegetables and swish them around in the honey (great with carrots in particular).
- When trouble arises and things look bad, there is always one individual who perceives a solution and is willing to take command. Very often, that individual is crazy.
- If youre paddling upstream in a canoe and a wheel falls off, how many pancakes fit in a doghouse? None! Icecream doesn't have bones!!!
doug99

Post by doug99 »

Use the top rack in the BBQ - rub potatoes and sweet potatoes in a good, fresh olive oil, wack'em in, check them when you check the meat. When you can push the meat thermometer in and they feel soft they are done. A lot of time we dont add anything else when served, or you can add butter and cinnimon to sweet potato.

Also helps to have a good potato to start with - sweet potatoes from a farmers market are the best option :nod:
wobblysauce

Post by wobblysauce »

i used to do that as well norbs.. but i got lazy feeding myself
Some play it safe on the merry-go-round, others go for the thrills of the roller-coaster.

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ vs ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

I have a joke for you. I have a prediction that you are going to walk into a bar, my prediction was wrong and your wallet is gone.
norbs

Post by norbs »

wobblysauce wrote:i used to do that as well norbs.. but i got lazy feeding myself

I probably saw it in your cooking book. :yes:
macca
Founder
Founder

Post by macca »

norbs wrote:For whole potatoes I parboil them til the outside is just starting to go soft. Take off the heat and drain the water. Add a big wedge of butter, or some olive oil, pepper and salt to the pan, then put the lid on and gently roll them around inside. The idea is to bash the outside up a bit and coat it with oil or butter. Once you are done, cook in the oven until they are golden brown. I have had heaps of people comment on my roast spuds. :yes:

That is how I remember my mother & my uncle doing them, especially the par boil part, but they used to roast them in the old style electric frying pan with the lid on with a low heat for a longer time, used to get a nice crunchy outside to them, ah, the old Sunday family roasts.

When I do the vegies, especially potatoes, I don't peel them, just clean them up a bit where necessary, preheat the oven to about 180 degC, (depends on your oven) incl the roasting pan / tray, with a bit of good quality olive oil (don't overdo the oil), season the way you like it, grab a pastry brush & brush the oil over the vegies so they are fully coated, give them about an hour along with sweet potato and pumpkin, I usually turn them once. I add the zuchini & onion after half an hour.

This time of year, for a quickish meal, I usually throw the meat on top as well, especially thick beef sausages or lamb loin chops. The sausages are OK for the hour, chops a bit less, depending on thickness, you'll get the fat from the meat adding to the vegies but I like it like that. Throw in some tomatoes to roast as well, squish em up & you have a basic tomato sauce.

You can also marinate the meat beforehand.

Finger lickin good :p

Am a bout to do a chicken roast today, as soon as the oven has done it's pyrolysis self cleaning act
I don't know where I'm going but I'm on my way!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/zedmacca/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The Chickenman

Post by The Chickenman »

In my shop we sell a heap of Duck Fat, and most of it goes to this recipe.
INGREDIENTS
500g potatoes - floury potatoes are best
2 tbsp duck fat
Salt and pepper

METHOD
1. Preheat the oven to 200C.
Peel and cut the potatoes into even size pieces, put into a suitable size saucepan with plenty of cold salted water, bring to the boil and allow to simmer for about 3 minutes. Do not overcook.

2. Drain the potatoes, removing as much water as possible. Put potatoes back in the saucepan.

3. Add the duck fat to the potatoes with salt and pepper. With the lid on and give them a vigorous shake to rough up the edges and coat them with the duck fat.

4. Place potatoes in a tray and roast in the oven until golden and crunchy.
r8response
Cry baby
Cry baby

Post by r8response »

Cut up potatoes however you want, bit of cooking oil on the tray. Lay them down and dust with a decent layer of gravy powder. Not too thick, nor thin. And roast away. Turn them once for good measure
Vilante
Master artist
Master artist

Post by Vilante »

The Chickenman wrote:In my shop we sell a heap of Duck Fat, and most of it goes to this recipe.
INGREDIENTS
500g potatoes - floury potatoes are best
2 tbsp duck fat
Salt and pepper

METHOD
1. Preheat the oven to 200C.
Peel and cut the potatoes into even size pieces, put into a suitable size saucepan with plenty of cold salted water, bring to the boil and allow to simmer for about 3 minutes. Do not overcook.

2. Drain the potatoes, removing as much water as possible. Put potatoes back in the saucepan.

3. Add the duck fat to the potatoes with salt and pepper. With the lid on and give them a vigorous shake to rough up the edges and coat them with the duck fat.

4. Place potatoes in a tray and roast in the oven until golden and crunchy.
That sounds delicious. It also sounds like you're Scott Andrews pimp.
Bauer

Post by Bauer »

so thats what you thought of when you saw Duck fat???

:D

liking your idea r8. might try that one next time :up:

I tried Norbs method. tasty. might combine the 2 and parboil then toss em around in some gravox mixed with olive oil :)
--------------
Stu
Vilante
Master artist
Master artist

Post by Vilante »

yep lol :)

I saw tubs of fuck fat in Coles the other day too, in the fridges with the meat.

Can we order them from you though Chickenman?? :)
Bauer

Post by Bauer »

Vilante wrote:yep lol :)

I saw tubs of fuck fat in Coles the other day too, in the fridges with the meat.

Can we order them from you though Chickenman?? :)

cos he sells loads of fuck fat Im sure

:D
--------------
Stu
The Chickenman

Post by The Chickenman »

Yes Vil, just for you though I have it in a 2kg tub, never can have enough of Ducks fat.
Vilante
Master artist
Master artist

Post by Vilante »

The Chickenman wrote:Yes Vil, just for you though I have it in a 2kg tub, never can have enough of Ducks fat.
Christ, that's a lot of duck fat :D
wobblysauce

Post by wobblysauce »

he has been at it for a few years.. but you might need to ask- the wife if you want some now.

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ vs ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

Bauer

Post by Bauer »

nup. not even babelfish got that one
--------------
Stu
Gizmo
forum fairy - in a gay way!

Post by Gizmo »

I just get a couple of washed potatoes, cut into quaters. Mix in a bowl with olive oil and some roughly chopped rosemary. Then bang in the oven with the roast....
norbs

Post by norbs »

Gizmo wrote:I just get a couple of washed potatoes, cut into quaters. Mix in a bowl with olive oil and some roughly chopped rosemary. Then bang in the oven with the roast....
Doesn't it get awfully hot and cramped in there? :p
Gizmo

Post by Gizmo »

norbs wrote:
Gizmo wrote:I just get a couple of washed potatoes, cut into quaters. Mix in a bowl with olive oil and some roughly chopped rosemary. Then bang in the oven with the roast....
Doesn't it get awfully hot and cramped in there? :p
It's a big ovan....
Bauer

Post by Bauer »

while my missus was at the deli today, taking the piss out of us swapping recipes on a car sim forum, the lady at the deli suggested a sprinkling of paprika on the spuds when you put them in to roast :yes:
--------------
Stu
Vilante
Master artist
Master artist

Post by Vilante »

Bauer wrote:while my missus was at the deli today, taking the piss out of us swapping recipes on a car sim forum, the lady at the deli suggested a sprinkling of paprika on the spuds when you put them in to roast :yes:
I love it when the woman from the deli sprinkles herbs on my spuds!!