Beer you're enjoying

Think you can cook a dish that would win Master Top Iron Chef? Well here is the place to share. All the talk about food and good eating goes here. If you think a McAngus burger is gourmet, best you stay away.
pixelboy

Beer you're enjoying

Post by pixelboy »

I really like beer.. and I particularly like GOOD quality craft beer.

With the end of dry July I think this forum needs a thread for discussion of what combination of malt, yeast and hops you are enjoying at the moment.

I'll kick it off with the Little Creatures Mr Obadiah Porter I'm enjoying tonight in front of the cricket.

Whilst I'm always a fan of Little Creatures beers I'm not normally a fan of stouts or porters. The roasted malt flavours just don't normally tickle my fancy. This one however is nicely balanced with 55 IBU's of bitterness that keeps the malt in check.

A perfect drop for winter but It's a special edition, so get one soon if you want to try it.

What are you drinking at the moment?
eek
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Re: Beer you're enjoying

Post by DexterPunk »

Usually I love anything James Squires. Always looking to try something new though, cheers ill keep an eye out for that.

Sent from Han Solo using TK-421's phone.
kwijibo
Squatting Squirter

Post by kwijibo »

I usually drink too much in a session to spend too much on expensive beers. That said, Coopers Sparkling Ale has always been my favourite, but rarely enjoyed these days. Love a lot of the squire beers. Had happy hour at the pub from 5-9pm the other night for $5 squire pints (the 570ml kind)! Can't go wrong there. Indian Pale Ale is my favourite of theirs.

I find a lot of the craft beers a bit too fruity
9ra55h0ppaH
Master artist
Master artist

Post by 9ra55h0ppaH »

Im in the same boat as you Pix, Mr Obediah left me pretty impressed for a dark beer, which im not usually that fond of. The last release from LC before this (Shepherds Delight) was a cracker, disappeared from shelves very quickly and i drank a shedload of it, luckily i kept a couple for later this year :)

Also got wind that Little Creatures will be adding an IPA to their year-round range... looking forward to that!

Other beers? Feral Hop-Hog, Two Birds Sunset Ale & Vale Ale are all goodies... Sierra Nevada's beers (Torpedo & Pale Ale at least) are always good, Their Narwhal imperial stout is the greatest dark beer ive ever had, 10.9% abv, thick & lumpy!
Now with Added Flickr
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

Something for summer... Try beerlao. That's all you have to drink in Laos... Brilliant beer for the warmer weather and spicey Asian food.
kwijibo
Squatting Squirter

Post by kwijibo »

DexterPunk wrote:Something for summer... Try beerlao. That's all you have to drink in Laos... Brilliant beer for the warmer weather and spicey Asian food.
Grabbed one in Bangkok and loved it! Never saw it again. Up at Kohn Kaen basically all they had was Leo
SE1Z

Post by SE1Z »

I'm not into fancy beers... Drinking James Boag's Premium Lager atm.

Prior to that it was the imported Peroni. Pretty hard to find where I live.
Steve
---
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

kwijibo wrote:
DexterPunk wrote:Something for summer... Try beerlao. That's all you have to drink in Laos... Brilliant beer for the warmer weather and spicey Asian food.
Grabbed one in Bangkok and loved it! Never saw it again. Up at Kohn Kaen basically all they had was Leo
The only place I've found them back home is at some Dan Murphys stores. You can usually check the website to see if any of the stores near you have it.

Sent from Han Solo using TK-421's phone.
pixelboy

Post by pixelboy »

This one is one of the best value craft beers on the market at the moment. Atomic Pale Ale from Gage Rd Brewery.

It's a real hop monster along the lines of Little Creatures but I can often pick it up for about $40 a case at BWS.

The carton has some very cool artwork and it's a favourite here when the homebrew taps run dry :-(
eek
Cutter
Legend in his own lunchtime

Post by Cutter »

To pat myself on the back I had 2 homebrew hits recently.

Turned a Coopers Ginger Beer batch into a seriously tasty drop by adding 250gms of fresh ginger for the last 24 hours of ferment.
Its been laid down for a month after bottling and is so crisp and clean it cuts through a strong Curry.
But being Ginger beer it has about 3 - 4 weeks shelf life, so we're enjoying it while its peaking.

But I've just laid down the Xmas beer.
With Ginger, Mace, Clove, Tangerine peel, Big extra hops, and Molasses in the brew its was damn near undrinkable when we bottled it last weekend.
But by Xmas it should be the dogs, if last years, weaker batch was anything to go by.
Cutter ~ Carl Rickard

pixelboy

Post by pixelboy »

Awesome.. Great to see some other brewers experimenting! :up:

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4
eek
norbs
fucking right wing vegan lesbian

Post by norbs »

First one to make one of these wins!

Sarc ; my second favourite type of gasm.
Cutter

Post by Cutter »

Given he's got a life size tardis as well, I'm saying He's single.
Cutter ~ Carl Rickard

pogo

Post by pogo »

I might drink a six pack a fortnight. Usually I get into Fat Yak or occasionally squires, though I enjoy a stout on tap.

Had a crack at Aldi's Boags ripoff, Fraser Briggs. A kiwi lager... Not bad, even better at 10 bux for 6.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
smithcorp
Occasional Visitor
Occasional Visitor

Post by smithcorp »

I've cut my alcohol consumption right down - maybe have a beer or whisky on the weekends only (after a hard days pottering in the garden!) - just had a Vale IPA last night. Nice. Love the India Pale Ales.
Vilante
Master artist
Master artist

Post by Vilante »

I do love a Pale Ale (born from Little Creatures like most) so will try those, thanks Pix :)
pixelboy

Post by pixelboy »

Vilante wrote:I do love a Pale Ale (born from Little Creatures like most) so will try those, thanks Pix :)
smithcorp wrote:Love the India Pale Ales.
:fall: :fall: :fall: :fall: :fall: :fall: :fall: :fall: :fall:

Anyone want to come to the Sydney Launch? The Local Taphouse, Wednesday 11 September from 6pm. Ill be there!

https://littlecreatures.com.au/news/ipa-launches" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
eek
Jamo

Post by Jamo »

Oh FFS I'll be in bloody Melbourne, that would've been right up my alley :(
I drink a great deal, I sleep a little and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two hundred percent form - Sir Winston Churchill
Vilante
Master artist
Master artist

Post by Vilante »

Awesome!

Possibly Pix, have to check the calender (GF) but I'll let you know :)
smithcorp
Occasional Visitor
Occasional Visitor

Post by smithcorp »

Darlinghurst? Not enough time to get my quiff organised, grow a hipster beard, get a job as a barista and squeeze into some too-small chinos. Pity, i do love the Little Creatures products and come what may, will be trying that IPA out.
9ra55h0ppaH
Master artist
Master artist

Post by 9ra55h0ppaH »

Cant wait for this IPA, ill be hounding the local Lion/LC Rep for it!
Now with Added Flickr
mrleisure

Post by mrleisure »

Anything from Sierra Nevada , the Northern Hemisphere Harvest is awesome :yes:

http://www.sierranevada.com/beer/specialty/harvest/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"There is a grey blur and green blur . I try to stay on the grey one...." Joey Dunlop IoM TT Legend

"You work for the line.. you own the line .. you defend that hard fought line." Steer
pixelboy

Post by pixelboy »

smithcorp wrote:Darlinghurst? Not enough time to get my quiff organised, grow a hipster beard, get a job as a barista and squeeze into some too-small chinos. Pity, i do love the Little Creatures products and come what may, will be trying that IPA out.
Just grab a beret and get your ARSE into town Smith...
mrleisure wrote:Anything from Sierra Nevada , the Northern Hemisphere Harvest is awesome :yes:
Sierra Nevada are indeed legends and pioneers of the hoppy pale ale (hard to imagine Little Creatures without Sierra Nevada) but I was somewhat underwhelmed by the Southern Hemisphere Harvest ale.. It was good but didn't seem to achieve the high bar they usually set.
eek
mrleisure

Post by mrleisure »

I tried the Southern Hemisphere recently , not bad , nowhere near as good as the wet hopped Northern though . I really like the Pale Ale :yes: .
"There is a grey blur and green blur . I try to stay on the grey one...." Joey Dunlop IoM TT Legend

"You work for the line.. you own the line .. you defend that hard fought line." Steer
smithcorp
Occasional Visitor
Occasional Visitor

Post by smithcorp »

Craft beer week coming up in Sydney...

http://sydneycraftbeerweek.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;