F1 2012

Discussion of F1, Dirt etc
Big Kev
Clean as a Whistle
Clean as a Whistle

F1 2012

Post by Big Kev »

Codemasters has announced F1 2012 coming in September.

The next iteration in the popular Formula One racing series will introduce the new Young Driver Test mode. Players will work their way through a series of tutorials to simulate the training up and coming drivers learn before setting out on the track.

The announcement comes shortly after Codemasters revealed new plans for the racing franchise as part of a renewed multi-year partnership with the sport.

A free-to-play racer - F1 Online: The Game - is planned for spring 2012, as well as an F1 title for "a family audience" in time for the holidays.

F1 2012 is set to release in September on Xbox 360, PlayStation 3 and PC.
ARSE Biscuits! Driftu Kingu!
My Flickr Stream
VIPEROSI

Re: F1 2012

Post by VIPEROSI »

Haha the penny drops for the developers... codemasters interview

Well, we closed 11 out without a physics programmer, which is a bit of a problem on a racing game! We’ve got a really strong guy now who’s looking into that. He’s made some significant changes, along with some other programmers, to the physics engine. The nitty gritty of it is that we’ve changed the way the aero is working, we’ve changed the way the suspension is working – and the suspension and tyres are critical to feel of the car. Previously you might have been bouncing over the kerbs or driving along and the tyres weren’t always in contact with the ground, they didn’t come back down quick enough. But now when you update the suspension, it sounds a bit weird, but it’s almost more compliant. The wheels are in contact with the ground a lot more and you suddenly get a lot more feedback. They’re doing the right things, which means when it gets sent off to other departments, like the audio team, they’re getting the correct inputs to their system. When you start to slide we can play the audio at the right point and you think, “Ah, I’m pushing the envelope here now”. Previously, it wouldn’t [work like that], they’d get these weird numbers and go,”When do we start putting in the screeching noise?”

If you’re getting fundamental problems like that… F1 is on the edge of performance, so these things can become very apparent to the user, because you’re doing such high speeds. Now it changes so that the car just feels… I wouldn’t say more alive, because that makes it sound skittish, but more in contact with the ground. You are driving a car now, it’s really on the road.
Gizmo
forum fairy - in a gay way!
forum fairy - in a gay way!

Post by Gizmo »

This isn't to far from away now? Does anyone plan on getting it?
nutty
Spam King
Spam King

Post by nutty »

Yea without a doubt, I really enjoy the series.. sure its not a hardcore sim but I can jump on after work and fk around for a few hours
Big Kev
Clean as a Whistle
Clean as a Whistle

Post by Big Kev »

I might.
I've got 2010 and although it was ok, it was lacking something. The physics wasn't really there and the AI was flawed.
If it gets ok reviews I might pick this one up.
My Flickr Stream
Scottie

Post by Scottie »

I plan on getting it... there's quite a few video's up at Inside Sim Racing now if anyone's interested:

[youtube] [/youtube]

[youtube] [/youtube]

[youtube] [/youtube]

[youtube] [/youtube]
Leweegibo

Post by Leweegibo »

Demo is on steam.
For some reason during the intro/driver training whatever it is i had a massive deadzone on my g27, but once i tried the season race it was fine.

G25/27 guys are gonna want to drop the profilers roation, also FFB is off by default for some reason, and those values need a drop too, sounded like it was going to break my wheel on the default settings!
Dr. Pain

Post by Dr. Pain »

I take it you have to set the wheel in the profiler to around 360 degrees, again? I've had to do it with the last two releases of this and Grid and many other games for my G25.
Minister for Religious Genocide.
Leweegibo

Post by Leweegibo »

Yep, if not lower.

It actual feels pretty decent once you have had a fiddle, i couldnt get the last games to feel good at all, so i never bought or played them.
nutty
Spam King
Spam King

Post by nutty »

Anyone want to go halves on the 2 pack? saves $5...
" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Big Kev
Clean as a Whistle
Clean as a Whistle

Post by Big Kev »

Not too bad.

My PC isn't up to it though. I get a bit of a stuttery mess until the cars thin out a bit, resulting in me nearly always getting some sort of penalty for hitting someone.

The PS3 version isn't too bad but the controls are a little bit too analogue. Will take some learning.
My Flickr Stream
bengatta
Ladies Motorkhana Champion

Post by bengatta »

Big Kev wrote:resulting in me nearly always getting some sort of penalty for hitting someone.
Are you driving the Williams, we can start calling you Pastor Bigkevanado if thats the case.... :)
They say, any day you wake up not dead is the start of a better day than it could be...

You don't need a parachute to skydive, you only need a parachute to skydive twice...

You're never too old to learn something stupid....
Dr. Pain

Post by Dr. Pain »

I Maldonado'd Maldonado :D

I found I could use 400 degree steering on my G25 which gave it a good feel.
Leweegibo

Post by Leweegibo »

The first laps are fun haha:
[youtube] [/youtube]
Shaun

Post by Shaun »

i gave it a shot today, only on an xbox 360 controller so far and i reckon i will buy it. Just feels fun which is what i am after. Hopefully get to test it out on the wheel later and see how it goes then
Hello :aussie:
Shaun

Post by Shaun »

trying on the wheel now and the deadzone is epic, i can't even drive the car in a straight line :S
edit turned the deadzone up then back down and it normalised, its fun with the wheel too :D
richo

Post by richo »

I know this is OT but i want a slow car sim like the mini type car in LFS on tight tracks there heaps of fun :)
[]D [] []v[] []D
Exar Kun
Sensible Mick

Post by Exar Kun »

richo wrote:I know this is OT but i want a slow car sim like the mini type car in LFS on tight tracks there heaps of fun :)
Assetto Corsa should be the one to watch. nkPro developer and it's got licensed cars (BMW, Lotus & Abarth amongst others) and AI for those of us who can't make it online these days.
"If we can hit that bull's-eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!"
Dr. Pain

Post by Dr. Pain »

Need a good touring car game.
nutty
Spam King
Spam King

Post by nutty »

So anyone want to go halves in that game? ill just pay and you can transfer me 1/2 of it? or even better someone else can pay who doesnt get fucked by currency conversion fees
wobblysauce
Seen it, Done it, Invented it!

Post by wobblysauce »

To flat and stable.

Mirrors look bigger then the real F1 hard to see apex.

But Games for Windows live to Steam for multiplayer +1
Some play it safe on the merry-go-round, others go for the thrills of the roller-coaster.

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ vs ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

I have a joke for you. I have a prediction that you are going to walk into a bar, my prediction was wrong and your wallet is gone.
Jiminee

Post by Jiminee »

richo wrote:I know this is OT but i want a slow car sim like the mini type car in LFS on tight tracks there heaps of fun :)

Game Stock Car might be worth a look to richo. Basically an rFactor mod but very, very well done. And unlike Assetto Corsa it is out now and less than $20 I think. They just released a Mini for it as (free?) DLC so might be what you are after.
XLV SPORT
NeilPearson
Prize Winning ARSE

Post by NeilPearson »

friend of mine worked on those mini's. he keeps on at me to buy the game, as he says its really good!
richo

Post by richo »

I will check those out thanks guys
[]D [] []v[] []D
Shaun

Post by Shaun »

flying BT Airways for it now :D