Dukester Maldonado

Re: F1 2017

Post by Duke »

Dukester

norbs diplomacy lesson 101: "If I was putting words in your mouth, you'd know."
wabbit

Post by wabbit »

In the second vid it seems the "ultimate" AI aren't really that good, lap time wise sure but letting someone drive bomb and just give the position up. Doesn't seem like AI have been improved.
Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

Dukester

Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

wabbit wrote:In the second vid it seems the "ultimate" AI aren't really that good, lap time wise sure but letting someone drive bomb and just give the position up. Doesn't seem like AI have been improved.
Yes in the Singapore race I noticed the same, the huge dive-bomb the user does on the last lap & the AI just lets him have the corner didn't inspire me to think it was realistic behaviour. :(
Mind you I liked the Spa race showing the process when a SC is called as well as the different strategies the crew throws at the user as the weather clears. :yes:
Dukester

Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

Bland vid but provides a good insight of what you have to do to get started in F1 2017

Dukester

Big Kev
Clean as a Whistle
Clean as a Whistle

Post by Big Kev »

ARSE Biscuits! Driftu Kingu!
My Flickr Stream
Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

Dukester

Big Kev
Clean as a Whistle
Clean as a Whistle

Post by Big Kev »

My copy should arrive today but I'm away for a couple of days so won't get the chance to try it until Sun/Mon (monday is a holiday :) )
My Flickr Stream
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

"We've certainly given a lot of consideration to VR," creative director Lee Mather tells GamesIndustry.biz. "As you know, Codemasters did VR for Dirt Rally and we're certainly interested in doing it for Formula One.

"It's a little trickier for us because we're pushing the boundaries when it comes to our physics. We have a lot of elements on screen with the OSD, so that's a lot of information the player would have to process in VR. The changes to move the game onto VR would be fairly significant, and we wouldn't want to do it if it meant compromising any area of the game. That's why we're holding back on that at the moment, but it's something we're considering."

Hopefully next years will add it in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Cursed

Post by Cursed »

Money stays in wallet
Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561197962772149]Image[/url]
Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

Yep they have sure missed a trick with no VR support, sales will suffer I would think.
Mind you from ISRTV's review, the decision may have been forced if it's such a resource hog as it was pointed out in the video.
Dukester

Dr. Pain

Post by Dr. Pain »

This will be big even without VR as it's the new F1 cars. I'm saving my money for PCars 2.
Minister for Religious Genocide.
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

Yeah I'm not sure I really believe their reasoning. Duke you may be right. Might require a lot of oomph even without VR, perhaps they couldn't get the game running smooth enough on a fairly typical machine. I'd be surprised if the devs haven't had it running in VR.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Cursed

Post by Cursed »

I know VR is a small drop in a very large gamer bucket, but having done racing in VR I find it really hard to go back. I do still have my TrackIR kicking around here, which helps a little.
Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561197962772149]Image[/url]
Big Kev
Clean as a Whistle
Clean as a Whistle

Post by Big Kev »

4GB patch before you even get started!
I'll give it a spin after the real GP :)
My Flickr Stream
Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

Wow that's crazy. Any idea what the patch changelog is?
Dukester

Big Kev
Clean as a Whistle
Clean as a Whistle

Post by Big Kev »

Nope just says it has to download before you can install.
My Flickr Stream
Big Kev
Clean as a Whistle
Clean as a Whistle

Post by Big Kev »

Well it's clearly made up cos I just finished a 3 lapper at Spa and Crofty says to Davidson who was your driver of the day and he says clearly Jolyon Palmer he was in a league of his own today! :)
My Flickr Stream
Big Kev
Clean as a Whistle
Clean as a Whistle

Post by Big Kev »

I've done a few time trial laps at monza just to get the hang of things.

I don't have a wheel so that will probably make my times laughable for you guys but it's a decent enough game with nice graphics. The sound is ok too.

At first I tried the default controller set up which has steering on the left stick and R2/L2 for throttle and brake respectively. At first I didn't get on with that as I'm more used to the right stick for throttle back in the day when I played Gran Turismo. It was ok for some exploratory laps so I changed the setup and went for both sticks. Not such a good idea. In the Ferrari at Monza I was struggling to drive it as the power was too analogue. I had to put full TC on just to stop spinning at lesmo1 all the time. After 12 laps I got down to a 1.29.1

Then I decided to try the button approach again to see if I could get a bit more throttle feel. 1 lap, 1.26.6 :) Buttons it is!

The time trial mode is quite nice. You set a time and it says you’re 3194th in the world with that car/track combo and gives you a ghost car and the target time for the 3193rd person on the list. As you move up you get more of aspects the setup to play with. Like gears and wings and stuff
My Flickr Stream
Big Kev
Clean as a Whistle
Clean as a Whistle

Post by Big Kev »

Just tried a wet 3 lapper at Monza. That's reasonably well represented too. Kerbs seem to be more slippery. It's tricky with the controller. I had several tank slappers that I couldn't get hold of.

Ai need a bit of a tweek. They're very processional in to turn 1. I went from 12th to 3rd at T1 just cos they left the inside line wide open!
My Flickr Stream
Big Kev
Clean as a Whistle
Clean as a Whistle

Post by Big Kev »

I've started a career. Chose to give Nando a rest and I'm now Vandoorne's team mate. During race practice you have some tasks to complete if you want like testing tyre wear, fuel use, qually laps etc. These earn you 'points' to spend on development. You also set up a rivalry and at the race you have to get a certain qually and race position or better and hopefully beat your team mate. As you progress, each team shows a rating of how interested in you they are.

My one gripe with practice is that when you come in to the pits it does a hugely long preset animation where you stop, they jack you up, push you back in to the garage, put the tyre warmers on, bring the screen in, plug the tyre warmers in and THEN you can select what you want to do next. You have to watch it every single time and can't skip it.

I had to qualify better than 14th in Melbourne. I got 7th! Woo! But I was driving the nuts off it. I also had a 5 place grid pen from hitting Grosjean during one of the practice sessions.

I decided that if I messed up in the first 5 laps I would restart the session. 5 restarts later.... :) ..... I got up to 6th in the first 6 laps although most of that was at T1 L1, straight up the inside. On the controller it's quite an arduous task. It's hard to be consistent as you can't easily adjust your turn in. I did my sole pit stop on lap 6 of 15 and rejoined in about 16th. Palmer, Verstappen and the Hulk had all retired by then. But the controller issue took its toll on lap 9 when I was back up to 10th and on the tail of Ocon. I went wide and coming back on got clipped by Sainz and pushed back in to the wall and broke my front wing. The pit radio then comes on and asks if I want to do a strategy change along with a new nose. This is where the game falls down a bit. The text you have to read for these quick decisions is really small, even on a 40in tv. You also have very little time to read it and see the button you have to press to decide. In doing so I crashed again. I pitted for new tyres and a nose but by then I was dead last and came out just in time to be lapped by Kimi in 4th and got home 1 lap down in 16th. Behind my team mate and behind my target race position.

During the race you can call up various radio messages to ask the pits to update you or change the strategy, fuel mix, brake balance etc but quite how you're supposed to do that when the message list only appears for 2-3 secs, you have to scroll to the one you want and then select it while driving, I don't know. But it may be easier with a wheel as your fingers aren't doing so much. If you could pause to make those decisions it would be much better.

Enjoyable enough, great graphics, sounds is decent, but the controller play and race interface are tricky.
My Flickr Stream
Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

It's time to get yourself a wheel Kev?
Dukester

DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

Big Kev wrote:They're very processional in to turn 1. I went from 12th to 3rd at T1 just cos they left the inside line wide open!

This seems to be the case in pretty much EVERY sim racing game I've ever played. You'd think in a time where we have Elon Musk telling us we should start respecting/fearing the possibilities of AI, they could work out how to get them to fight properly for the first corner/lap.
w00dsy
The Senna of Hoppers Crossing

Re: RE: Re: F1 2017

Post by w00dsy »

Big Kev wrote: After 12 laps I got down to a 1.29.1

You've gone negative, don't forget to upload your player.ini to GPL-Rank