Hints & Tips

All GT discussion
Rots
DiscoStu
DiscoStu

Hints & Tips

Post by Rots »

Since some of us ARSE's are new to the GT series, I thought it time to share some tips from us veteran GT players :)

Some basic ones to start with.

1. Change the oil - Every car in GT5 benefits from a oil change, more so the older second hand standard cars. But, even the new cars need regular oil changes. My premium Audi R8 Chrome Line dropped power from 877hp to about 817hp after a coupe hundred k's. I changed the oil and it went back up to 877hp!

2. To get the most hp out of a car, don't be afraid to drive it and drive it often. Example; my Veyron after mods had about 1220hp. After many races and regular oil changes, the engine is now producing 1232hp! My Red Bull Nascar produces more hp than a standard one also because of this.

3. Check the engine rebuild option in maintainance often to see if repairs are needed. A barely worn engine will cost as little as 500cr to fix, but leaving it for ages and could mean a rebuild cost of 50,000cr! (pending on the car of course). Same could be said for body rebuild, but I don't how much of an affect ridigity has in this game.

4. Always go for Tier 3 turbo and exhaust upgrades. Don't bother about buying Sport's or tier 2 exhaust/turbo etc upgrades unless you are aiming for specific hp target, or if the tier 3 exhaust note is horrid! A few cars I run tier 2 exhaust simply to improve the sound! Of course, weight reduction and engine tuning has to be done in the three allocated stages.

5. Check the Used car dealer regulary as the list is updated with new listings often, removing older listed vehicles. I had the chance to buy some awesome looking BMW Le Mans race car, if I wasn't 1mil short of the 3.7mil price tag. By the time I get enough money, it will be gone from the list :(

6. Don't be like me and buy every car from the 40's, 50's 60's, 70's, and 80's in the Used car lot... costs a fortune and you end up with a garage full of old classic's that never get driven! :D
Takumi

Re: Hints & Tips

Post by Takumi »

Good tips Rots. I can only think of a few more

7. If you buy a used car, change the oil straight away. It always looks horrible.

8. Try and keep every car that you win. You never know when you will need them to do a specific event. You get bugger all from selling them anyway, so if you desperately need money, find another way.

9. Don't trust novice B spec drivers with any tail happy rear wheel drive car over 300hp, they have crappy throttle control and can't drive them for shit. Make them neutral or a bit understeery.

10. Don't spend your money on the Supercheap Auto rear wing upgrades. They may work but they make the baby jesus cry.

Alright the last one is biased I know :D
Last edited by Takumi on Mon Dec 13, 2010 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It's been nice, chaps.
r8response
Cry baby
Cry baby

Post by r8response »

Takumi wrote:
9. Don't trust novice B spec drivers with any rear wheel drive car over 300hp, they have crappy throttle control and can't drive them for shit.
My lvl2 b-spec driver can handle my 600hp Monaro alright. It has enough power to kill anything on the track, just tell him to reduce pace 2 or 3 times
Takumi

Post by Takumi »

r8response wrote:
Takumi wrote:
9. Don't trust novice B spec drivers with any rear wheel drive car over 300hp, they have crappy throttle control and can't drive them for shit.
My lvl2 b-spec driver can handle my 600hp Monaro alright. It has enough power to kill anything on the track, just tell him to reduce pace 2 or 3 times
It probably has a lot to do with the car setup and tyres I guess. All I know is I told my level 5 driver to reduce pace about 10 times and he still can't figure it out. Small, tighter tracks like the Autumn Ring mini seem to throw him off the most. Longer more open tracks are fine.
It's been nice, chaps.
KNAPPO
Master artist
Master artist

Post by KNAPPO »

Great tips guys, thanks a lot :bigthumb:

My B-Spec bloke O.Knappo can drive my Veyron pretty dam well. He only spins it about once in a race then doesn't make the same mistake twice.
Life is hard...but, life is harder when you're dumb.
r8response
Cry baby
Cry baby

Post by r8response »

Takumi wrote: It probably has a lot to do with the car setup and tyres I guess. All I know is I told my level 5 driver to reduce pace about 10 times and he still can't figure it out. Small, tighter tracks like the Autumn Ring mini seem to throw him off the most. Longer more open tracks are fine.
Its weird, he couldn't handle my 200hp MX-5. It would constantly spin on the same corner. Fully upgraded monaro with sports (hard) tyres and adjusted gear ratios and he'd putt around and win.
MADCAP

Post by MADCAP »

maybe it comes down to the driver you selected, mine has had a few run with the walls etc but i have pushed him hard to finish coz these events are down right boring and POOOOOOO...... to be honest they could have done better with this section and made us acutally drive against the team driver as an AI similar to F1
+ Current Ride 2016 Ducati 959 Panigale + 2016 TONY KART 401 X30 IAME + Santa Cruz Bronson V3 CC X01 +
MADCAP

Post by MADCAP »

just did oil change in bugati - b4 1196BHP after oil 1256bhp :nod:
+ Current Ride 2016 Ducati 959 Panigale + 2016 TONY KART 401 X30 IAME + Santa Cruz Bronson V3 CC X01 +
TIMMY30

Post by TIMMY30 »

I've played alot of GT in my life, but havent played since GT3. With the b-spec what is the advantage of having more than one driver?
ReppohC

Post by ReppohC »

TIMMY30 wrote:I've played alot of GT in my life, but havent played since GT3. With the b-spec what is the advantage of having more than one driver?
Two reasons; firstly they have a "career". They get better over time but by about their 250th race there skills start diminishing and they get worse. Secondly there are endurance races where you can use more then one driver.
Enforcer-J

Post by Enforcer-J »

How do you get another driver?
ReppohC

Post by ReppohC »

Enforcer-J wrote:How do you get another driver?
Once you go up a tier (level 5,10, 15, etc). You dont really need them till endurance but you have to level them all up. Also drivers "fatigue" if you use them too much (those arrows next to their name indicate this). If its orange use another driver for a while!
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

ReppohC wrote:
Enforcer-J wrote:How do you get another driver?
Once you go up a tier (level 5,10, 15, etc). You dont really need them till endurance but you have to level them all up. Also drivers "fatigue" if you use them too much (those arrows next to their name indicate this). If its orange use another driver for a while!
ok, how to decipher that arrow? It's sometimes green, sometimes blue, sometimes orange...
Surprise, no sig. Now there is. Or is there?
Rots
DiscoStu
DiscoStu

Post by Rots »

Orange = bad performance

Green = average performance

Blue = good performance

I've been reading up on B Spec as my AI driver is giving me the shits. Seems it is good to have more than one driver, that way you should hopefully always have someone who is Green or Blue.

Also, later on it appears there are long races for B Spec which require driver swaps in pit stops. If only they somehow filter that into multiplayer similar to LFS. :nod:
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

Thanks, Rots!

I've got two drivers, but neither can drive, LOL.
Blue or not blue, there is one race which neither can do, despite of repeated tries...n00bs! :D
Rots
DiscoStu
DiscoStu

Post by Rots »

My driver is retarded. On some tracks he can blitz the field with a car of similar power to weight, but on many of the American events he is useless beyond useless.

Last night I was swearing my arse of at him. He had that awesome Buick Special which in stock form is more powerful and lighter than any other stock US tank cars. Yet he couldn't win on the Daytona infield track as he kept braking in stupid spots letting the AI stay in front. I ended up spending a fortune reducing the weight to about 1100kg's and giving it over 700hp, plus upgrading the drivetrain and transmission etc. Even after all that he just won by about .050 of a second... It wasn't like he couldn't handle it either, not once did he go of the track or get it out of control on the bends.
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

LOL, my guys are having trouble winning on the oval with a car about 200HP stronger than anything out there...how good is that?
They charge ahead, grab the lead in no time, then slowly lapse back to some lousy spot (even last, once!)
wabbit

Post by wabbit »

Ysu & others, for oval races make use of the increase pace option... Keep on pushing them well into the red. Only then will they stop braking at various spots around the oval.
VTRacing
Team Pedant (c)

Post by VTRacing »

wabbit wrote:Ysu & others, for oval races make use of the increase pace option... Keep on pushing them well into the red. Only then will they stop braking at various spots around the oval.
Make them watch this:
[youtube] [/youtube]
:teach:
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

wabbit wrote:Ysu & others, for oval races make use of the increase pace option... Keep on pushing them well into the red. Only then will they stop braking at various spots around the oval.
thanks, that worked! straight win!
Rots
DiscoStu
DiscoStu

Post by Rots »

VTRacing wrote:
Make them watch this:
[youtube] [/youtube]
:rofl:
Scottie

Post by Scottie »

only bit of advice I gave someone which they used well was...

if you hear the rear wheels screaching or the car starts spinnin out, just lift off the throttle a little on the way out of the corner to get it back.

but that's pretty common I guess.
KNAPPO
Master artist
Master artist

Post by KNAPPO »

Like most cars the soft tyre is much better but when i threw a set on the Nascar and the 20k stiffening kit it became a much more enjoyable beast on the road courses. :nod:
Life is hard...but, life is harder when you're dumb.
c.j
Midget Wanker

Post by c.j »

few questions for you lads...

Where do I get a pickup truck? I keep watching the u/c dealership and never see one. Can I win one? I want to finish the 2nd tier competition level and can't find one.

Why do I need to do B-spec? I've never been a fan of it really. I bought the game to race, lol.

I can gold the AMG academy events in the rain, but not the dry. Whats going on there? Any tips?
Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561198089849481]Image[/url]

;)
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

c.j wrote:few questions for you lads...
Where do I get a pickup truck? I keep watching the u/c dealership and never see one. Can I win one? I want to finish the 2nd tier competition level and can't find one.
I've just watched the used dealers till one turned up.
c.j wrote: Why do I need to do B-spec? I've never been a fan of it really. I bought the game to race, lol.
just don't do it. I actually enjoy it lately, it runs here while I'm working and I occasionally coach them through those races which they struggle with.

The only problem is that so far I've spent hundreds of thousands in upgrades to cars I don't really drive...and did not win much.