Using one foot or two for throttle and brake

All GT discussion

Do you use one foot or two for throttle and brake?

I use just one foot
20%
I use both feet for throttle and brake
80%

Total votes: 15

h00ligan

Using one foot or two for throttle and brake

Post by h00ligan »

There may be a better place in the forum to post this but since this relates more so to GT5 (for me at least) ill post it here.

Lets assume that were sequential shifting and not using a clutch, my question is do you use both feet, one for braking and one for gas like a go kart, or one foot for both?

The other night I thought I would see if using two feet would improve my lap times and what I found was that I could brake later into a corner and quickly tap the brake to tighten up my line. For my first go at it the results seem pretty encouraging and with a bit more practice I think this could work out quicker for me.

What you do you guys think, am I going to get myself into a bad habit?
Image Image Image Image
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Re: Using one foot or two for throttle and brake

Post by ysu »

it's called left-foot braking, and it's commonly used, indeed (I use it online all the time, never in the real car on the road, though)
One famous person who have used it very well was Senna if I'm correct.

It gives you the ability to have throttle and brake on at the same time, which also enables other driving techniques eg to save a spin when the rear end steps out. (lock up front to generate extreme understeer)

Edit; oh and if you search you may find a thread asking the same question (just worded left foot braking) - quite a few of us use it.
Surprise, no sig. Now there is. Or is there?
h00ligan

Post by h00ligan »

cheers ysu, i'm always forgetting to use the forum search :P
Image Image Image Image
KNAPPO
Master artist
Master artist

Post by KNAPPO »

Both feet for me.

I find left foot trail braking is the best way to balance the car. I cant drive sims any other way but im hopeless at it on the road and always stab the brake which is odd cos i have a fine touch on the brake when using the logi or A1 pedals.
Life is hard...but, life is harder when you're dumb.
Takumi

Post by Takumi »

Sorry I'm the knob who voted 1 foot, before I realised this thread was talking about GT5 and was indeed in the GT section of the forum. I have only had limited use of a wheel/pedals on a pc and two feet was definitely the way to go. On the road though, I still can't get it.

The knobs who drive kilometer after kilometer with their brakes on give me the shits too.
It's been nice, chaps.
KNAPPO
Master artist
Master artist

Post by KNAPPO »

Takumi wrote:Sorry I'm the knob who voted 1 foot, before I realised this thread was talking about GT5
:rofl:
Exar Kun
Sensible Mick

Post by Exar Kun »

Same as knappo here. I think you'll find it's only a very small minority (percentage wise) of the sim racing community who use right foot braking when gaming.

Left foot braking is used pretty much exclusively in F1 these days, I believe and it just gives you one more tool to balance the car with.
"If we can hit that bull's-eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!"
Vilante
Master artist
Master artist

Post by Vilante »

Murphy left foot brakes also.

:ninja:
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

KNAPPO wrote:Both feet for me.

I find left foot trail braking is the best way to balance the car. I cant drive sims any other way but im hopeless at it on the road and always stab the brake which is odd cos i have a fine touch on the brake when using the logi or A1 pedals.
and the explanation for that is the brake pedal force. I think if you get a load cell pedal set you'll be able to rfb.
Surprise, no sig. Now there is. Or is there?
VTRacing
Team Pedant (c)

Post by VTRacing »

ysu wrote:
KNAPPO wrote:Both feet for me.

and the explanation for that is the brake pedal force. I think if you get a load cell pedal set you'll be able to rfb.
Er, you have it the wrong way round, ysu. It's on the road that he has trouble modulating his left foot. The reason your left-foot braking sucks on the road KNAPPO is probably the fact that when you left foot brake in a road car you have nothing much supporting your body against the g-forces, hence it's hard to modulate the pedal with your full bodyweight (or at least the weight of your leg) on the pedal.

You'll also find that when using your sim pedals your heel will be on the ground whereas it's potentially difficult to do that (with the left foot, anyway) in a real car.

For me: right-foot brake on the road, for the reasons mentioned above.

Left-foot brake in racing sims and in the rally car (mostly). With a full harness on, supporting your weight, it's a lot easier to left-foot brake.

There's a nifty vid here showing how you can combine left foot and right foot braking in a race car.

[youtube] [/youtube]
:teach:
GT VIRUS
Karen

Post by GT VIRUS »

LFB here, both on the road and in sims. I used to live in a place that had couple of 2nd gear corners in a row, so i learned to lfb there. I eventually learned how to swap my feet on the brake, so now i LFB on the initial application, swap to the right foot for the gear change, then back to the left for the exit
Enforcer-J

Post by Enforcer-J »

I raced karts well before I drove a car so i have trouble right foot braking in an automatic lol
KNAPPO
Master artist
Master artist

Post by KNAPPO »

VTRacing wrote: The reason your left-foot braking sucks on the road KNAPPO is probably the fact that when you left foot brake in a road car you have nothing much supporting your body against the g-forces, hence it's hard to modulate the pedal with your full bodyweight (or at least the weight of your leg) on the pedal.

You'll also find that when using your sim pedals your heel will be on the ground whereas it's potentially difficult to do that (with the left foot, anyway) in a real car.
Spot on mate. G-forces, supporting weight and heel position has always been the biggest difference/issues in taking my sim racing style and adapting it to my road car. It just doesn't feel all that safe when ive tried it so i tend to heel n toe instead.

Then again im not usually driving at a speed on the road that ive needed to balance a sliding car with trail braking :p
MADCAP

Post by MADCAP »

right footer here on the brake, never really tried the left foot, but in real car heal and toe option suits me, the left foot was always good for clutch kickn in the old good old drift racing days - check out "Kodak Hodak" on youtube Blue Nissan 200SX going around Mallala -

video 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=97AqDe-LdQQ

video 2: http://www.doylecrash.com.au/motorsport.html

wasnt the greates driver, but it was fun for a short while, perferr circuit sprints with big HP!!!
+ Current Ride 2016 Ducati 959 Panigale + 2016 TONY KART 401 X30 IAME + Santa Cruz Bronson V3 CC X01 +
GT VIRUS
Karen

Post by GT VIRUS »

bloody drifters, i'm sick of cleaning up the oil you leave at T6 :P
MADCAP

Post by MADCAP »

GT VIRUS wrote:bloody drifters, i'm sick of cleaning up the oil you leave at T6 :P
i must say true to that, some drifters here local are utter pigs and take no pride in the race cars or the track.... hence why i gave this sport up 3 years ago.....

so much cash for a short quater lap is all you get, the best place we drifted was Pt Gawler, short go-kart track oober fun with passengers was pure fantastic for a short while it lasted due to insurrance issues....

luv to hit club car racing and maybe one day bring back alive my Mazda capella back in full race track form, "I can only Dream"
+ Current Ride 2016 Ducati 959 Panigale + 2016 TONY KART 401 X30 IAME + Santa Cruz Bronson V3 CC X01 +
GT VIRUS
Karen

Post by GT VIRUS »

On the other hand, racers know that drifting is keeping mallala alive for now, and until taliem bend comes up, it needs to stay.

Modern Regulatity is always a good option if your after some semi-competition driving. There are always a couple of drift guys who come out for that (much to our amusement, they dont make many set-up changes, and have a habit of finding new walls to hit
NeilPearson
Prize Winning ARSE

Post by NeilPearson »

KNAPPO wrote:
VTRacing wrote: The reason your left-foot braking sucks on the road KNAPPO is probably the fact that when you left foot brake in a road car you have nothing much supporting your body against the g-forces, hence it's hard to modulate the pedal with your full bodyweight (or at least the weight of your leg) on the pedal.

Spot on mate. G-forces, supporting weight and heel position has always been the biggest difference/issues in taking my sim racing style and adapting it to my road car. It just doesn't feel all that safe when ive tried it so i tend to heel n toe instead.

Then again im not usually driving at a speed on the road that ive needed to balance a sliding car with trail braking :p
If you keep at it in your real car it will get easier.

In my car i can do it pretty well, but its taken a bit, and i dont use it often, only when im on a road by myself that I know, and i always brake super early just for cautions sake.

I hate right foot braking on my pc, i have a load cell and i always left foot. I have actualy set it up so my left leg is perfectly straight, i have to have my right leg bent to the left a bit to get the accelerator but its so much better for braking.