Who the hell is who on the server?

No witty remarks yet.
NeilPearson
Prize Winning ARSE

Re: Who the hell is who on the server?

Post by NeilPearson »

Feed the beast is just like tekkit. but up to date.

Frankly i think we should stay vanilla. only a minor few played when we had mods on.
Bauer

Post by Bauer »

agreed

Vanilla brings out the most people. For those very casual players, mods can be too hard.

And I noticed Tekkit lite the other day. Apparently that is what is running on our home local server now.
--------------
Stu
petey

Post by petey »

Yeah I was just putting it out. Is bukkit intrusive and does it have to be client side ? If not we could run it just for the security.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you finally have enough horsepower.
NeilPearson
Prize Winning ARSE

Post by NeilPearson »

bukkit is all server side its just an API to allow modding. then you install plugins as you want.

The issue with bukkit is, it takes the server hosts FOREVER to get it up, and they never have the latest. in our control panel they have a beta build for 1.4.6 but in the bukkit site they have a Rc3 out already and are working on 4, so we would have to install a custom version of the server, which wouldnt be hard its just not as easy as clicking install ;). Plus if we get a plugin or two, then Minecraft 1.5 comes out, to maintain the server we have to wait until its all updated and since we are relying on people, it could be days, months who knows.

if its vanilla It can be installed by us the second its out.

If you really want to keep your stuff safe, then hide it. thats my suggestion.
petey

Post by petey »

Personally I'm not that concerned, if we run a whitelist. If something goes wrong we know it is one of us. Considering I've seen the majority of us around the place (forums) it shouldn't be too hard to get along as the community that ARSE generally is. I would prefer we could share in a civilised manner.

On a server note, the bloke I talked to in live chat - said he opened a support ticket. I have no evidence or reference of that. Realistically, I should have just opened a support ticket myself, will do this in the future. If I have heard nothing once I am back from my holiday in Tas (18th) then I will open one myself about why our server time is +ridiculous hours. My point is here, I don't believe these guys are all that hard to get in contact with provided you take the correct route - so getting bukkit updated shouldn't be the issue. Bukkit themselves catching up to speed I can understand is probably a limiting factor.

In any case, continue as we are (I may setup a whitelist in the next few days before I head off). Might start a new thread in which to keep all the Arseville 2.0 players - maybe. I'm falling asleep. :tilt: :shake: :nod:
If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you finally have enough horsepower.
Lochie0911

Post by Lochie0911 »

petey wrote:Personally I'm not that concerned, if we run a whitelist. If something goes wrong we know it is one of us. Considering I've seen the majority of us around the place (forums) it shouldn't be too hard to get along as the community that ARSE generally is. I would prefer we could share in a civilised manner.

On a server note, the bloke I talked to in live chat - said he opened a support ticket. I have no evidence or reference of that. Realistically, I should have just opened a support ticket myself, will do this in the future. If I have heard nothing once I am back from my holiday in Tas (18th) then I will open one myself about why our server time is +ridiculous hours. My point is here, I don't believe these guys are all that hard to get in contact with provided you take the correct route - so getting bukkit updated shouldn't be the issue. Bukkit themselves catching up to speed I can understand is probably a limiting factor.

In any case, continue as we are (I may setup a whitelist in the next few days before I head off). Might start a new thread in which to keep all the Arseville 2.0 players - maybe. I'm falling asleep. :tilt: :shake: :nod:
Minecraft ARSE servers have been running for years now. We'd be bordering on 3 or so years as a close estimate. To my knowledge, we've never had any problem with people stealing stuff. I honestly feel safe leaving all my goodies in obvious chests around these people and I think the server should just stay vanilla. P.S. Bukkit do take a hell of a long time to update their stuff after major updates such as 1.2, 1.3, 1.4 etc. (Speaking from personal experience.)
petey

Post by petey »

Indeed. We will be staying vanilla.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
Lochie0911

Post by Lochie0911 »

NeilPearson wrote:alright im happy to whitelist, ill look into a plugin for chest locking. we had a great one before using bukkit. but im hopiong there might be some vanilla ones floating around
I don't think it's possible to get vanilla SMP mods O_o.