Map Project: Railway

No witty remarks yet.
NeilPearson
Prize Winning ARSE

Map Project: Railway

Post by NeilPearson »

So i was thinking of doing a massive railway system on this map, Sort of like what Razzo did on the previous map, but this one can be on the normal world and above ground.

My throughts were, that Each line is a one way system. What I mean is, we have two lines going to the one desitination, so you use one side for going there, and another for coming back. obviously this costs more resource wise, but i think its cooler. We have a central Point, at spawn which boasts a massive train station. with houses each lines coming and going.

I was speaking to crow, and he is keen to help build, and if anyone else wants to help they can. I was also hoping people could donate resources, its purely optional of course.

Here is a map, with everyone (that i know of) location on it with a possible line i thought up. these are just a draft, but i think its a good solution, it stops one line having alot of stops and another having not much.

Thoughts?
Shonky

Re: Map Project: Railway

Post by Shonky »

Sound good Neil, I don't have much in resources to commit to it yet but I put in what I can.
NeilPearson
Prize Winning ARSE

Post by NeilPearson »

Its going to be a few days before this gets underway, i want to plan some deisgns for how the railway is built, and the stations. so its got the same basic principles. that way it looks like a country that the govt built, rather than everyone building tehre down designs and hooking up.
Bauer

Post by Bauer »

happy to donate recourses to it :up:

But I might have to move. If someone dies as a result of my building, I dont want to be anywhere nearby when they do :) All care taken, no responsibility accepted.
--------------
Stu
Hazelb
Master artist
Master artist

Post by Hazelb »

Sounds cool...I'll help if you need some plus happy to provide stuff needed!
DarrenM

Post by DarrenM »

Since we have a fair number of people bunched together, would it be simpler if we had a central station, then went in a straight line out to the 8 points of the compass with sub stations near where people are?

Then people can connect to the sub stations themselves if they're a little off the path like rots and camoncolour. Or if there is nobody else out there like Rab, Bauer the line could go direct to them. I guess it would have to be underground with the stations on the surface.

NeilPearson
Prize Winning ARSE

Post by NeilPearson »

That would be simpler yeah but my main thoughts of this were:

Always do underground railways. I'm over them.
Want something more realistic and that shows up on the map. be able to see a railway snake its way across a map would be cool.

Straight lines aren't as fun. Be nice to have a nice view as we trundle along the line. See others buildings etc. A lot more
interactive I guess.

I'm willing to do most of the workjjust have to figure out a way to mob proof it.

Was thinking of a stone brick base to stop animals spawning on the track, then a fence either side and ample lighting will do the trick.

Its going to be a big project but I think it will be fun and be great to do as a group. With participation when you feel like it.
DarrenM

Post by DarrenM »

No probs. I'll see if I can find some nice bridge designs then :)

Minecraft structure planner has a few built in ones
http://minecraftstructureplanner.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
norbs
fucking right wing vegan lesbian

Post by norbs »

I will keep digging the hole and donate any resources found.
Sarc ; my second favourite type of gasm.
Shonky

Post by Shonky »

I agree on the rail above ground idea, I've done them the past in single player and there's so many more interesting things you can do, and the ride is worth watching as well.
norbs

Post by norbs »

SHoNKY wrote:I agree on the rail above ground idea, I've done them the past in single player and there's so many more interesting things you can do, and the ride is worth watching as well.

Maybe make it high enough off the ground to give people a view of other peoples places and constructions.
NeilPearson
Prize Winning ARSE

Post by NeilPearson »

Here are some designs i have thought of, Top view side view and front view so you can see whats going on. both designs keep the track at light levels to stop mob spawnings. the top one doesnt drop below 10 and the 2nd one gets to 8. Animals dont spawn on stone so that should stop them, and of course the fence keeps out already spawned mobs!

Thougghts?

I like the look of Plan 1 the best, but it uses 5 glow stone (2 on the 2nd one) which is a massive increase.

PLAN 1

This one uses alot less glowstone, but in my opinion doesnt look as nice.
Saving the glowstone would be good though.

PLAN 2
NeilPearson
Prize Winning ARSE

Post by NeilPearson »

Oh and I have set up a donations box at spawn point, just look for the giant REPPOHC and you cant miss it :D
Crowella

Post by Crowella »

Just an issue I've found from first player, with one high fences, arrows are still able to make it onto the track and stop the carts. Will that be okay then?

Other than that, all for it.
Rots
DiscoStu
DiscoStu

Post by Rots »

I like both designs, probably plan 1 the most :)
Hazelb
Master artist
Master artist

Post by Hazelb »

I'd be happy to become the cobblestone layer...I don't mind either design.
norbs

Post by norbs »

Hey Neil, any idea how much wood you need? 500 blocks? 5000?

I'm swinging the axe like a poofter with a wand at the mardis gras, but I dont want to drop 1,00,000 trees if I dont have to.
DarrenM

Post by DarrenM »

Finding enough glowstone to do #1 could take a while, couldn't it?

Did you find out if mobs spawn on upper 1/2 blocks? It would take a shit-ton less material to build if we could do that. You now get 6 1/2 blocks for every 3 blocks you convert.
Shonky

Post by Shonky »

I managed to score a looting 3 pick axe this morning, wonder if that gives more glowstone than what you would normally get per block.
NeilPearson
Prize Winning ARSE

Post by NeilPearson »

No it doesnt Shonky. I had one before, and checked and glowstone is standard.

I did a test earlier on, a sheep was ontop of a 1 high fence. double high fences it is then i guess, which should also stop arrows from skeles getting through.

Darren: I dont think they do, i made a dark room, with upper half blocks as the floor, and it was really bright in there. light came through. but saying that its a pain in the freaking arse to make a upper half block floor. You have to make a ceiling block first, then be underneath that to place the upper half block. its very very time consuming.
'
Shonky

Post by Shonky »

Stick your glowstone lights up your arse! Just got killed by an invisible bloody fire slime, fecking game bugs, super duper pick and 8 stacks of glowstone BLOCKS fecking gone! :bang: :finger: :cry: :cry: :cry:
norbs

Post by norbs »

SHoNKY wrote:Stick your glowstone lights up your arse! Just got killed by an invisible bloody fire slime, fecking game bugs, super duper pick and 8 stacks of glowstone BLOCKS fecking gone! :bang: :finger: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Rage post. Excellent.

Hey Shonks, I had slowly got myself to XP 34. Did a re jig of my little house thing. Moved the walls and bed down at bedrock. Went to sleep whilst I made a cuppa. When I hit leave bed, it put me in my ground level house, stuck in a wall and I was killed about 5 times in a row by skeletors. I was slightly agitated. :p
DarrenM

Post by DarrenM »

SHoNKY wrote:I managed to score a looting 3 pick axe this morning, wonder if that gives more glowstone than what you would normally get per block.
Looting is for mob drops. NFI what use a looting axe is, unless you use it in the mob grinder.

I think Fortune does increase the amount of glowstone you get. It gives a chance to give extra drops per block you mine, but only for ones that drop items like coal, diamond, redstone. I think glowstone usually drops 3 per block but you have a chance of 4 with fortune.

Silk touch would be the best because it gives the block, not the drops.
Crowella

Post by Crowella »

Here's an idea for where I would think the line should go for us on this side of spawn. Neil and Rabajin will have to figure out what to do once there is a bridge over your way.

This way, there's only three stops since Ayedorm, Cardi and I are close enough to use the one stop. Might not need a tunnel for lochie, could just build the rail the other side but I'll wait until the map is up tomorrow.

norbs

Post by norbs »

I have built my station where Crow suggested. Put some fencing around it to stop the fucking creepers. It is the most elaborate thing I have ever built. :D